wen i used to anchor i couldnt go past like 126 bpm 16ths
i think thats cuz i couldnt move my forearm at all and wus only using my wrist
wen i get to 120ish bpm is it ok to use a little forearm motion
it feels almost natural to

and if so, wen i practice slowly should i use my forearm too or just wrist?
Do you mean when playing a small range of notes?
I wouldn't think it matters anyway, it doesn't bear any obvious problems.
meh
Whenever I am doing any fast shredding I do not anchor, but if I am picking individually or playing slowly I will have my hand anchored. But I have played with other people that do not do that. The best thing is to do what feels the most comfortable for the way you play.
my arm (bicep area) tenses up a bit when i play 16ths around 180 bpm (like a few notes on one string). is that bad at all?
Anchoring is bad.

Getting your arm tense is bad.

You can, though, use you forearm to change strings, but picking comes from the wrist.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Some people say its bad to use your forearm to pick fast.

In my opinion, I think its ok and natural.

What I did is look at videos of speed pickers like Micheal Angelo Batio, Rusty Cooley and Shawn Lane.

MAB seems to use the whole forearm as Shawn Lane picks from the wrist.

My conclusion is "what feels right"
Quote by SilverDark
Anchoring is bad.

Getting your arm tense is bad.

You can, though, use you forearm to change strings, but picking comes from the wrist.

ya thats wut i mean
using my forearm only wen i change strings
single string i only use wrist
^ I don't think Silver was talking about PICKING with the forearm, though. Even if you're crossing strings, the picking motion comes from the wrist. The forearm may move as you change strings, but only to position your hand.

And if you don't mind me saying, your spelling and grammar makes me want to stab myself.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by ramm_ty
^ I don't think Silver was talking about PICKING with the forearm, though. Even if you're crossing strings, the picking motion comes from the wrist. The forearm may move as you change strings, but only to position your hand.

And if you don't mind me saying, your spelling and grammar makes me want to stab myself.

im aware
ino how to spell
but im usualy playing guitar or sumtin so i wana type as fast i can

but actualy now that i think about it
i do mean using a little bit of my forearm for picking
like doing 3note per string runs and stuff like that