I can play a few songs start to finish (Back In Black, Lick It Up, Smoke On The Water etc) but more often than not I find myself learning bits of songs rather than the full song.

What do most of you do?? Learn the full song or just bits of them? I find I get bored if I stick to trying to learn a single song start to finish as it'll take me a good few weeks if not more to learn it.
If I'm learning a song for my band to play, then I learn it all. Otherwise I tend the learn only the parts I like, with a few exceptions.
I have the same problem, i've been playing guitar for nearly 8 years but still can't get over this barrier. If i don't get the jist of the song quickly i tend to give up and not try again. I think it has something to do with the songs you try and learn, if you can find the right one which increases your skill it will give you inspiration and movtivation because it shows you what you're capable of. It's just finding the song that's the problem.
thats exactly what im like. well until i started to learn greenday-holiday yesterday and its just made me want to learn more n more songs what ive found better aswel is try and learn a couple of songs at a time and alternate between them then if you get bored of one just start playing the other for a bit
I always learn the full song if at all possible.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
i have a bad tendency to just learn the intro or the cool part and then stop. i really need to break that habit
Always learn the full songs. You get more a sense of accomplishment and you playing abilities increase dramaticly. Sometimes I'll skip especially hard solos, but always with the intention of going back later and learning them. The only time I learn chunks is when I "accidently" find a song while noodling around.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Well i always end up learning parts, because normally i choose difficult songs, difficult to my current hability, so after some time i can go back to it and progress in learning a song.
Quote by fenderfan03
I can play a few songs start to finish (Back In Black, Lick It Up, Smoke On The Water etc) but more often than not I find myself learning bits of songs rather than the full song.

What do most of you do?? Learn the full song or just bits of them? I find I get bored if I stick to trying to learn a single song start to finish as it'll take me a good few weeks if not more to learn it.

same for me lol. I start learning it then I decide to learn another song and then the part song still gets practiced but not fully taught lol.
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
=When the going gets tough, the tough get going=
Depends on the song and the band. Like a Nirvana song I could learn all the way through cause most of the time if you know the intro you already know half of the song (Nirvana wise). With rock bands (AC/DC,etc.) I'll just learn the riffs I like. Your choice really pal, just do what you want with it.
Open your minds and shut your mouths.
Great things about learning full songs is that if you ever play in a band, you'll already have a library of songs to work with.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
it's difficult. i would prefer to learn full songs as i often feel a little bit defeated if i just learn say the first part of a song and then get to a section that's just beyond my current level of playability and therefore move on to a different song.

you deffinitely get more of a sense of acomplishment in learning a song start to finish. like someone above said it must be down to the song choice.

i think i need to change. i guess learning say two or three songs at a time might be the direction to go in??
I'm the same. I'd prefer to learn the full songs but once I give up on it they always remain incomplete. It's usually the solo that I miss out.
Pretty much, we learn whatever we like. If we pick up a song and drop it the next day, we obviosly dont like it. But, if you're really into something, you wanna learn the whole song. Its just the way our brains work.
Gear:
Gibson Flying V
Jackson RR3 w/ Zakk Wylde EMG's
'89 Marshall 8240 Combo Amp
Marshall MG10 CD
Boss MT-2
Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell
I tend to pick out certain riffs that I like and learn those until I get fed up of only playing part of the song then I learn the rest of the riffs. I rarely learn solos properly though, just a lick or two here and there but I should learn more.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The only reason I learn only parts of songs is because I'll see a part on the tab that I don't remember how it goes in the song, and I'll be too lazy to listen to the song again to hear what that certain riff sounds like

So I just play the parts I remember.
YEAH
I like to learn the full songs so I can sing and play them all the way through. I suck at singing but it feels more complete that way.
I'm stuck with the habit of learning parts of them because sometimes,tabs have extra symbols that confuse me like some theory.Must get rid of this habit and finish up Master Of Puppets...
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
I usually learn the intro, chorus and solo to a song, but I hardly ever memorise the whole thing (since I don't spend much time on a single song) to actually play it in its entirety.

Most of the time I just skip the chords and get to the fun stuff^^
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Why are most of the answers I only learn an intro???!?!?!

My style of music is metal (typically two guitarists), I always learn the rhythm part first because it tends to be easier than lead.

You need to learn songs fully... and it can take about a month practicing an hour a day even. So don't give up!!! Its not worth it, if you give up, you should not pick up an axe...
i play main riffs and solo and wing the rest of it. not much left, but still something left to wing. it's more fun and improves creativity i guess.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack