Ok...I have been debating wheter I want a guitar with floyd rose or not...I have heard good things, bad things ,great thing, shitty thing i have heard everything bout it.But i was wondering if you could answer ALL my questions about floyd rose.

1.What makes it so freaking good?

2.What is the big deal?

3.I heard they are very annoying to set up?

4. I heard you have to take like 10mins to tune and set it up everytime?

5.Ok...now the strings...I heard you have to change your strings wayyyy more than a regular guitar if you have floyd rose?(this is whats really gettin to me)

6.What can I do with them that I cant do with other guitar trems?

7.What are they Specifically for?

Ok.Those are my questions....If you could answe them all I would appreciate it very much. I just dont wanna have to change my strings like every week i aint got that kinda money. And as for set up my friend is gonna do it.Hes a guitar tech so hes pretty good....So...Thanks for your answers and comments.
Quote by blasian
Ok...I have been debating wheter I want a guitar with floyd rose or not...I have heard good things, bad things ,great thing, shitty thing i have heard everything bout it.But i was wondering if you could answer ALL my questions about floyd rose.

2.What is the big deal?

5.Ok...now the strings...I heard you have to change your strings wayyyy more than a regular guitar if you have floyd rose?(this is whats really gettin to me)

Ok.Those are my questions....If you could answe them all I would appreciate it very much. I just dont wanna have to change my strings like every week i aint got that kinda money. And as for set up my friend is gonna do it.Hes a guitar tech so hes pretty good....So...Thanks for your answers and comments.

1. It's a floating bridge, goes less out of tune when you use the whammy. You can also make some gnarly ass squeals.
2. I haven't heard of a big deal...
3. it's not too annoying.
4. No.
5. ?????
6. It won't go out of tune as fast as a normal whammy.
7. Profit.
Super-serial list of equipment: guitar, amp, some picks, and a cable.

I know i can be an A55hole, however i try to mean well most of the time..
The original floyd rose is perhaps the single best floating tremolo system out there.

2.What is the big deal?
It allows a whole new set of possibilities with guitar playing. No longer do you have to fight to go up a whole step with frets, you can simply pull up on the trem arm. AND you can now go DOWN which is possible on guitar by going a fret down and bending up to that note you want and then going down, but its complicated.

Not really. Usually you set them up from scratch with new strings it takes about 30 minutes or so. Really not the biggest deal. Once you get your string gauge down you never have to really mess with anything.

No once a floyd is in tune it stays in tune more or less perfectly until a string breaks

Only if you do 2 whole step pull ups. Which is stupid. I know an older guitar player with an old school jem from ibanez with a similar floating trem system called the edge and he hasn't changed his strings in 12 years lolol

You can do flutter effects, you can't do dive bombs extreme pull ups.

Read above

You shouldn't get one, you obviously do not know what they are for. Get either a stratocaster with a simple normal trem system (that only goes down) and stays in tune and changes strings relatively easy. Or get a fixed bridge.
Well, I'm not going to answer all of them, but I'll get you started.

3. They are not that bad to set up. The first time you do it it is indeed a little daunting, but you get the hang of it quickly and it takes about an hour with a full fledged string change and all that. I only set mine up roughly once a month, depending on what kind of shape it's in.

4. This is false. The guitar stays fairly well in tune unless you knock it around alot. It takes me roughly 30 seconds to tune up.

5. This is also not true. I change my strings roughly once a month. Although if you're playing an unruly amount of time and you have an obsession with crisp strings, you might need to change them more often. But I play about two hours a day and I feel that once a month is acceptable.
Tempus Edux Rerum Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Check out my band, Prosper! Prog/Metal/Core from Columbus, Ohio.
Quote by sesstreets
You shouldn't get one, you obviously do not know what they are for.

Yeah.. Dont get a FR, you dont really know what they are. Are you getting an original fr?

some people think they are better than many of the other trems, but it depends on what company made the floyd. they dont go out of tune as offten as other trems if you have it set up right. it can add a lot of style to your playing. ect ect

2.What is the big deal?

look back at the answear to 1

at first they can be, but once you get use to it you can do it on the fly. its not that bad just read up first

depends on how you set it up and how often you make the adjustments. if you tune every so often it wont take that long. what takes the longest is changeing string guages.

i could see were it would be like that if you use the trem a lot, all that raising and lowering in pitch can wear out the strings faster. it also matters how often you change your strings too.

they all basicly do the same thing. its all a mater of pref. such as some players like how smoth the bar play is on a khaler.....others like floyds......others like ibanez....ect ect.

originaly the trem bar was used for vibrato and slight dips in pitch. in the 70s as guitar playing evolved the strat style bridge just couldnet keep up with the players needs. then the floyd rose came out and at first slightly helped with the problems of tuneing with the locking nut but not to the standards of today. over the years he improved on the design to what we have today. now depending on how its set up and other factors you can do damn near anything with a floyd or other floating bridges.
Quote by GuitarFreak1387

originaly the trem bar was used for vibrato and slight dips in pitch. in the 70s as guitar playing evolved the strat style bridge just couldnet keep up with the players needs.

Right. Listen to Hendrix or the first Van Halen record then listen to how CC DeVille plays at the end of Every Rose Has it's Thorn's guitar solo.

The FR gave us a quantum leap in guitar player's ability to sound cool

For me it's a mixture of reasons. Partly it is because I like the tuning stability and partly it's because it simply allows you to do a lot more than a vintage trem.

2.What is the big deal?

If there is a 'big deal', to my mind it's simply because if you want a trem system then a locking system is best.

I think they're a bit more difficult to set up but I don't think it's a huge amount otherwise guitar techs would charge more. The last time mine was set up the tech said it was one of the easiest ones he'd done and hadn't taken that much longer than a normal trem.

It certainly takes longer to retune, there's no doubt about that but then you don't need to retune it as often so I guess it balances out.

In my experience that's just not true. Regardless of the strings I've used, they've lasted just as long as with a normal trem system. Because it takes longer to retune a locking trem and I'm essentially lazy, I have switched to Elixir strings and they suit me nicely. They last about 6 months and in that time I usually only retune the guitar once or twice.

You can spend less time tuning, do divebombs and use more variety in your playing.

Using as a tremelo unit obviously. It's just a more sophisticated unit than you find on a Fender and as a result is capable of more things and stays in tune better. There are traditionalists who prefer a vintage system or a Bigsby and that's fine. I have no problem at all with that, it's just that in my opinion the locking system is better as it's more stable and more versatile.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Yeah don't get one. You're obviously not ready for it.
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
Quote by SenorSmiley
Right. Listen to Hendrix or the first Van Halen record then listen to how CC DeVille plays at the end of Every Rose Has it's Thorn's guitar solo.

The FR gave us a quantum leap in guitar player's ability to sound cool

im not saying that it would give the ability to sound cool, what i ment by that statement was that it was a huge improvement in the design of the tremolo bridge. yeah you can have a strat style bridge stay in tune but not as well as a floyd imo
Quote by GuitarFreak1387
im not saying that it would give the ability to sound cool, what i ment by that statement was that it was a huge improvement in the design of the tremolo bridge. yeah you can have a strat style bridge stay in tune but not as well as a floyd imo

They stay in tune providing you don't break a string - they can't handle heavy strings BTW.

They kill the tone of your guitar.
Wow...Thanks for all the answers guys it helped alot.And if i never get one than i will never know whether I like them or not...My friend said he will help me.Thanks guys.
Quote by SenorSmiley
They stay in tune providing you don't break a string - they can't handle heavy strings BTW.

They kill the tone of your guitar.

if you change your strings every once in a while you wont have the string breaking problem unless its a faulty string.

the fact they cant handle heavey strings is just a lie, the floyd on my 7 string has the same saddles as my jackson both floyds and my seven string has a 64 on the the low b and i still have room to spare. the nut also dosent have a problem at all.

kill the tone is a subjet of opinion.