Ok, So a few days ago I finally got myself an EQ pedal. It's an Artec 8 band EQ. But I have a problem with it.

When I run it in front of my amp, it works great, whether clean or distortion. The problem occurs when I put it in the effects loop. When used on the clean channel in the effects loop it works perfectly, but whenever I switch the distortion of my amp on, it's a totally different distortion than without the pedal on. It's hard to explain. It turns from brutal metal distortion to the distortion you would find in a 2$ distortion pedal.

It's charged properly. Tried it with a daisy chain and the battery.

I could just run it in front of the amp but I've read everywhere that running it in the loop gives you a lot more options, so I'd like to do that.

Any help?
gear:
-Ibanez ART 120 (w/EMG 81/85)
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
Thats strange indeed. I used to run a dual 15 band EQ, so I could EQ both in front of the amp and in the loop...I had no such problem.
WTLTL 2011
When you move the EQ to the effects loop do you change anything? 'Cause if you think about it, by the time the signal hits the effects loop it should have passed through the amps already present EQ and preamp... right?

I would think it perfectly normal to have to adjust things around, since in front of the amp it's working solely with your guitars signal. In the effects loop it has a signal that is already manipulated somewhat.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
No I don't change anything. But with all the sliders in the middle, it shouldn't sound different, I would think? Especially because on the clean channel it doesn't sound different.
gear:
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
No it shouldn't change sound if all the sliders are in the middle position... Skipping the clean channel makes sense... doesn't the FX loop skip it by design?

I have no idea dude can you get any good sound out of it?
Quote by sargasm
I can't really get anything useful out of it. The pedal just adds a layer that makes the distortion sound cheap and just plain bad.

I'm debating on whether I should send it back or just run it in front of the amp.

Unless anyone can help?
gear:
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
Anyone?
gear:
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
Is there an actual problem with running it in front of the amp? Or would you just prefer not to?
Quote by sargasm
i would think you would want your EQ in the FX loop of your VK.

can you validate your cable are good. What happens if you run those cables in loop without anything? What are your settings on amp EQ? Set those at 12 oclock and set your EQ as flat then a sine wave. Adjust other settings on amp outside of amp EQ. Then slowly adjust amp EQ till you dial it in.

just another thought
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i would think you would want your EQ in the FX loop of your VK.

can you validate your cable are good. What happens if you run those cables in loop without anything? What are your settings on amp EQ? Set those at 12 oclock and set your EQ as flat then a sine wave. Adjust other settings on amp outside of amp EQ. Then slowly adjust amp EQ till you dial it in.

just another thought

That's a good point that I hadn't thought of. When you say "run those cables in loop without anything" do you mean straight from send to receive, no pedal?
Quote by sargasm
I tried everything you suggested. Put the amp's EQ all at 12 o'clock. Didn't help. Ran the cables I'm using through the effects loop without the pedal, and they seemed fine.

When I run the pedal in front of the amp, the changes just seem so minimal. I tried boosting every single frequency to the max (+10db), and the difference wasn't that great. When I run it through the effects loop, the differences are what an EQ pedal is meant to do. Only the sound is so messed up that the pedal is just useless.
gear:
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
Quote by fearo
I tried everything you suggested. Put the amp's EQ all at 12 o'clock. Didn't help. Ran the cables I'm using through the effects loop without the pedal, and they seemed fine.

When I run the pedal in front of the amp, the changes just seem so minimal. I tried boosting every single frequency to the max (+10db), and the difference wasn't that great. When I run it through the effects loop, the differences are what an EQ pedal is meant to do. Only the sound is so messed up that the pedal is just useless.

Huh... I'm thinking faulty pedal... still under warranty? That's just so odd, and I'm completely stumped. Anyway you can get it returned and receive another one?
Quote by sargasm