All I've had since I started playing was this little Marshall practice amp. Now that I've gotten better I want an amp that actually sounds like an amp but I'm clueless on what to get. I play an Ibanez RG series, mostly hard rock and classic rock. I have a Wah-wah at the moment so something that goes with that would be good. It also has to hold up for live performances and be loud enough! My price range is moderate....I'm looking for less than 600 but I could save up if I had to!
the peavey valve 212 combo amp is good. its 600 and its has a 2x12 speakers and its 100 watt all tube power. its good for metal/rock and everything. i have had a marshall and getting it
A VK 212 wouldnt be bad, but do some shopping before you buy. I think a B-52 AT-112 would be good. Its only 60w, but tbh, around only 30 or 40w is loud enough. And B-52s have more gain than a VK.
what styles are you playing?

i think tryanor, crate and possibly vox may well be getting some mentions here

EDIT: >_________> you alreasy mentioned

traynor YCV40 or something
crate V33
Peavey classic 30
fender hotrod deluxe
fender blues juniour/deluxe
B-52 AT

not sure on US prices but theyre all definately worth a look
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
the vavle king has a good gain i can plsy metal on it. and can play rocck on it to. and dont buy a crate i jsut tested one out at a local shop and it sounded like crap.
Quote by Redsox4ever5955
the vavle king has a good gain i can plsy metal on it. and can play rocck on it to. and dont buy a crate i jsut tested one out at a local shop and it sounded like crap.

opinion void

you cant slate a whole brand because you dont like 1 amp

the V series is pretty damn good
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I just picked up a Traynor YCV50 for just over $600 and love it. Great for classic rock type tones and wonderful cleans to boot! I'm going to try and get a few clips this weekend.

-J
Quote by Redsox4ever5955

I could say "don't buy a Valveking coz one guy I know who used it sounded like shit".

TS, try out some of the ones mentioned and see what suits you best. We can't tell you what the amp for you is, we guide you in the right direction and you have to make the decision yourself.

And the Valveking is so dull and down the middle I wouldn't get it.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by qotsa1998
I think a B-52 AT-112 would be good. Its only 60w,

ONLY!?

Personally i don't like the way the valvekings sound. But you should go and try some out before.

Valveking, b-52, if your interested in metal or hard rock. And if you are willing to go used you have a few more options.

But just so you know, 15 watt tube amp is loud as hell. We had a band party at my fraternity last friday, and one of the guys was using a 15 watt fender Princeton tube amp. Atleast 150 people out there, which was outside. And you could hear him just fine. Just FYI
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by Nims
I just picked up a Traynor YCV50 for just over $600 and love it. Great for classic rock type tones and wonderful cleans to boot! I'm going to try and get a few clips this weekend.

-J

This or a Classic 30 will fit the bill
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/866938482.html Laney VC30 for $400.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/msg/866192993.html Blues DeVille $550
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/msg/866495655.html 60's Epiphone Comet $350
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/871552180.html Classic 30 Head, $400 would need a cab tho.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/msg/873607724.html This guy has a Peavey Classic cab in tweed and a VK head. Maybe just the cab and the classic 30 head above?

Couldn't find a traynor or such. These would all be good classic rock amps.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Wow thanks guys! I didn't think I would get so many good answers! I've written down every name and am going out this weekend to check out hopefully most of them!
A VK is actually perfect for hard rock - but then again AC/DC play hard rock with very little gain in their tone. You could get the 112 and save your back (and some moneys) and just swap out the speaker, and bam, perfect hard rock tone...

Or you could get a used Traynor YCV50, Peavey Classic 30, B-52 AT112 (more metal-oriented, but still good) etc.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thank you guys so much for all the suggestions! I have decided (after looking ALL day!) ont he Peavey Valve 212 combo like redsox suggested. It's just what I'm looking for.
Quote by Imme94
Thank you guys so much for all the suggestions! I have decided (after looking ALL day!) ont he Peavey Valve 212 combo like redsox suggested. It's just what I'm looking for.

thats kewl. why i said crates are crap is b/c they got bought out. and thats why they are so cheap. and now there made in chinia. and not putting out verry good stuff.
What about a Randall RG50TC? Played on a while ago, quite a nice amp.

TELedit: Didn't see your post, the VK should get the job done
Quote by Redsox4ever5955

learn how to spell.

the crate v series has a way better clean then the valveking imo. the clean on the vk is a mere blah while the v18 has a sparkling tone

btw, for 600 you can find a used peavey triple XXX
Last edited by kckyle at Oct 11, 2008,
Quote by Redsox4ever5955
thats kewl. why i said crates are crap is b/c they got bought out. and thats why they are so cheap. and now there made in chinia. and not putting out verry good stuff.

Where are the Valvekings made?

I like gregs1020's little list and definately agree with going 2nd hand. Be patient, check out as many amps as you can, find out what amps are being used in songs you like and want to sound like, you may not be able to afford the exact amps but it may lead towards a cheaper alternative with similar tones and you will find what you want for $600, add a couple hundred more and you'll open up a tonne of more options too.

My mate had a Valveking, imo it's by no means bad but just not my cup of tea I guess. From what I hear you better budget for a new speaker if you go the VK too.
i like gregs list too!
the VK can do lots of things but is a low budget tube amp.
the Crate Vs are pretty good don't dismiss them.
play some stuff this weekend as mentioned and report back.
see if you can borrow an OD pedal too while you're trying stuff out.

if you go the VK route, my suggestion is to get the 112 50wattr. There are pleny of clone speakers like the WGS stuff that will keep within $470. Add a $50 Bad Monkey OD and you'll be better off.

keep check'in craigslist too for deals. I would think you need like 2 or 3 weeks when shopping for an amp but I guess you set on getting one this weekend. At least with GC you can take something back if you don't like it. Good Luck.
Quote by Redsox4ever5955

Crate amps are made in Vietnam. Ampeg amps are made in Vietnam as well.

Owned by the same company, they are.
Quote by treagar
Where are the Valvekings made?

I like gregs1020's little list and definately agree with going 2nd hand. Be patient, check out as many amps as you can, find out what amps are being used in songs you like and want to sound like, you may not be able to afford the exact amps but it may lead towards a cheaper alternative with similar tones and you will find what you want for $600, add a couple hundred more and you'll open up a tonne of more options too.

My mate had a Valveking, imo it's by no means bad but just not my cup of tea I guess. From what I hear you better budget for a new speaker if you go the VK too.

there made in chinia. they have always been made in china. but crates used to be made in usa. so the old crates are sweet but the new ones are not that good. and i did not mean to offend you.
Quote by Redsox4ever5955
there made in chinia. they have always been made in china. but crates used to be made in usa. so the old crates are sweet but the new ones are not that good. and i did not mean to offend you.

The USA Crates are better, but the new ones are by no means bad.
Quote by imgooley

Crate amps are made in Vietnam. Ampeg amps are made in Vietnam as well.

Owned by the same company, they are.

i am telling you they go bought out. and now there made in china. your just being vein.
Quote by Redsox4ever5955
i am telling you they go bought out. and now there made in china. your just being vein.

Doesn't stop them being better than the VK's which are a pile of polished turd.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by imgooley
The USA Crates are better, but the new ones are by no means bad.

ok have you tryed out the new V series? the 18 watt 2x12 at volume number 3 was getting distorted. and i tryed the half stack. and it was the same
Quote by jambi_mantra
Doesn't stop them being better than the VK's which are a pile of polished turd.

i am just trying to help the kid out. and you just being a joke!
Quote by Redsox4ever5955

The word is vain and I am not reveling in my own illuminous aura of awesome.

Yes, St. Louis Music was bought out, and yes, production was moved to Vietnam.

Vox amps are made in Vietnam. Boogera amps are made in China. Most amps under 1000 are made in Asia.

That does not make them bad.
Quote by Redsox4ever5955
ok have you tryed out the new V series? the 18 watt 2x12 at volume number 3 was getting distorted. and i tryed the half stack. and it was the same

I own a V33 head. It's a tube amp. It'll get break up. That's when we use pick attack and the volume knob on the guitar to maintain clean sound. I can get a clean sound at band volumes.
Quote by imgooley
The word is vain and I am not reveling in my own illuminous aura of awesome.

Yes, St. Louis Music was bought out, and yes, production was moved to Vietnam.

Vox amps are made in Vietnam. Boogera amps are made in China. Most amps under 1000 are made in Asia.

That does not make them bad.

then why are they so cheap now? and why are all being clearanced
Quote by Redsox4ever5955
i am just trying to help the kid out. and you just being a joke!

But you're not helping. You're telling him an entire brand sucks because they're made in Asia and break up at low volumes. That's the whole point of the 18 watt amp, to break up earlier so people don't have to deafen themselves to get a good over driven sound.

You're just being a tool.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Redsox4ever5955

it's called breakup.

moron.
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Plus (Emg 81/85)
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
Because Crate was never able to shed the bad rep they got from making crap ss amps since the early 80's. Which is why they have used other names to sell amps, Palomino, Blackheart, get the point? The Crate VC series made in STL was a great line. The Palomino line was much the same but during production - was bought and moved out of the country. Not that it makes them bad - just built overseas. I tried the V series, the new V series, and like it very much. It's a steal for the current prices, but they over produced and the series didn't sell - so we have the current fire sale going on.

The used amps I posted are all very good and should be considered. A Classic 30 half stack would pwn for $500. The Laney combo would be great as well for Classic Rock/Hard Rock.

Nao Redsox4ever - please be a little more open minded. Plenty of very good things are made in China.
Quote by jambi_mantra
But you're not helping. You're telling him an entire brand sucks because they're made in Asia and break up at low volumes. That's the whole point of the 18 watt amp, to break up earlier so people don't have to deafen themselves to get a good over driven sound.

You're just being a tool.

WTF,what ever. think what you think.
Quote by gregs1020
Because Crate was never able to shed the bad rep they got from making crap ss amps since the early 80's. Which is why they have used other names to sell amps, Palomino, Blackheart, get the point? The Crate VC series made in STL was a great line. The Palomino line was much the same but during production - was bought and moved out of the country. Not that it makes them bad - just built overseas. I tried the V series, the new V series, and like it very much. It's a steal for the current prices, but they over produced and the series didn't sell - so we have the current fire sale going on.

The used amps I posted are all very good and should be considered. A Classic 30 half stack would pwn for $500. The Laney combo would be great as well for Classic Rock/Hard Rock.

Nao Redsox4ever - please be a little more open minded. Plenty of very good things are made in China.

k thank for the input. . i will be more "open minded" (im serious)
Quote by Redsox4ever5955
k thank for the input. . i will be more "open minded" (im serious)

Sometimes there's more to the story than meets the eye. Thanks for taking my post in the manner intended. Now go search craigslist for your VA deal of the century.

TS - Please go try the Laney I posted. Try a VK too. They get some flack around here but I always liked them. It's all a matter of taste and preference in the end. Your's being most important. Also that Laney is a steal for $400 here in the states. Good luck.