Do guitars with 1 humbucker or singlecoil have a specific name ?
And how do they sound?

Grtz.
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Just one pickup?

Not really, most people call them a single pickup'd guitar or something of the sort.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
As in the Alexi SIgnature ESP?
I'd say its a single pickupped guitar, although I like the idea of 'uni-pickup'
Quote by cleft11
As in the Alexi SIgnature ESP?
I'd say its a single pickupped guitar, although I like the idea of 'uni-pickup'

Uni-pickup though just sounds really off, I still prefer single pickup'd.

And in terms of sound, it isn't very versatile, cosidering you only have one pickup.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
tons of rrs are like that if youre looking for one specific sound its good but cant do tons of sounds
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by Lil Macker
Uni-pickup though just sounds really off, I still prefer single pickup'd.

And in terms of sound, it isn't very versatile, cosidering you only have one pickup.

Not necessarily, you just have to work a little harder to get the full range. It's all in where and how you pick, not to mention how you set the controls.
Quote by Nightfyre
Not necessarily, you just have to work a little harder to get the full range. It's all in where and how you pick, not to mention how you set the controls.

You'd have to work harder, which would be a for the bedroom guitarist, but if you're on stage with no tone controls or things (which is quite common among all these metal fans) you would have a tough time, which is why it would be a better idea to get a 2 pickup one, just to make it easier.

EDIT: Not to mention you'd be finding yourself going to pick around the area you're comfortable with; you'd have to have a focused mind to get it to stay where the picking hand is. It's just one of those things.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Oct 10, 2008,
ok thx for explaining..
does any one knows good single pickup'd guitars wich are not signature ?

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Les Paul Juniors and Jackson rr24 are the only ones that come to mind, but im not sure if you would count the Jackson as a signature because Randy Rhoads designed it, but on musicians friend it isnt in the signature guitar section...
Quote by dm1925
texas ftw!
we're saving the world, one zombie at a time

Quote by ThePastRecedes
Yo Bob Dylan, I'm really happy for you an I'm gonna let you finish, but Jimi Hendrix had one of the best versions of All Along the Watchtower of all time!
Ok thx alot .. all of you guys

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Well, single single coil guitars would be like the Fender Esquire and some fender "student" models, I think the musicmaster, maybe the bronco.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
the hello kitty guitar, epiphone les paul jr, gibson melody maker
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
I don't really know why you'd want to get a single pickup guitar imho. You'll miss the neck pickup.

In any case, many guitar companies do single-pickup shred guitars. Check out Charvel, Kramer and any other '80's hair band guitars.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by IKnowItsWrong
ok thx for explaining..
does any one knows good single pickup'd guitars wich are not signature ?

PRS has one in their SE line that is quite nice.
Quote by Lil Macker
You'd have to work harder, which would be a for the bedroom guitarist, but if you're on stage with no tone controls or things (which is quite common among all these metal fans) you would have a tough time, which is why it would be a better idea to get a 2 pickup one, just to make it easier.

EDIT: Not to mention you'd be finding yourself going to pick around the area you're comfortable with; you'd have to have a focused mind to get it to stay where the picking hand is. It's just one of those things.

Metal players tend to play with a limited number of tones; clean and one to three different distorted tones. Most of that is variance in the amp settings (channels) or in volume controls on the guitar (to clean it up, etc). The one exception is switching to the neck pickup for certain solos, sweeps, etc. If you change where you pick you can achieve essentially the same effect, which is why I often play using the middle position on my guitar. Pick closer to the bridge for a brighter, bridge-pickup-like tone, or toward the neck for a neck-pickup sound. Do I switch positions occasionally? Yes, but only for certain passages where I want to really emphasize a certain sound. And lets face it, how many metalheads actually use the tone control? Many metal guitars, especially the single-pickup ones, don't even HAVE a tone control.
There are exceptions, but the above generalizations are fairly true.
And if you don't have enough control that you can hit strings reliably wherever you want, you either a) are anchoring, which is bad technique, and thus you can't reach all the different areas or b) need to improve your picking accuracy because your control is lacking. I can pick anywhere I want and not lose control, whether it's chords or single notes. My right hand goes to wherever it needs to to get the sound I want, and thus the only way it's going to "gravitate" to a certain spot is if I'm palm-muting.