what power chord is this if played in drop D???
starting from 6th string low E
09XXXX
i wanna know what note the power chord is
Last edited by guitar6694 at Oct 10, 2008,
i dont know much about chord theory or whatever but i would say a D/E?
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me
it's like a D major 3rd - - accept the D is an octave lower.

if you play a d on the a string at the 5th fret and an F# at the 4th fret on the d string that's the usual way of doing that kind of power chord.

the inverse of that would be an F# augmented 5th
Last edited by GoDrex at Oct 10, 2008,
thats not a power chord in drop d

e-x
B-x
G-x
D-9
A-9
D-9

thats a power chord in drop d
Dick+strings= owww
Quote by cleft11
It isn't a power chord.

sure it is - learn the opening to Metallica's Creeping Death. They play 5ths - - then they do major and minor 3rds. To me it qualifies as a power chord, since it's just based on two notes and it sounds good loud with distortion . But if you want to get picky about it...
Quote by GoDrex
sure it is - learn the opening to Metallica's Creeping Death. They play 5ths - - then they do major and minor 3rds. To me it qualifies as a power chord, since it's just based on two notes and it sounds good loud with distortion . But if you want to get picky about it...

No, they play it in E not drop D. And yes they do minor thirds, but over an E power chord in standard tuning, not drop D.

And a lot of things are two notes and sound good with lots of distortion, but they aren't power chords at all.

Not picky, just music theory.
It's doesn't matter if you're in drop d or not. And since when are "power chords" part of music theroy. You're not going to be talking about power chords in a theory class, unless it's geared towards guitar.

And no they're not playing over an E power chord. They play an g major 3rd and d f# minor third - - after doing an e 5th (power chord) and d 5th.

To me it's a power chord. It's used in metal all the time in much the same way as a 5th. But like I said - you might want to get all picky about it and say that only 5ths are power chords. That's fine.
Last edited by GoDrex at Oct 10, 2008,