ok i know this is proberly a stupid question but im gunna go ahead with it anyway ive been playing the guitar for a few months now and everywhere i see songs sayin tune down half a step and stuff and it really irritates me because i dont have a clue how to do it do you have to be able to tune by ear or can you do it using a electronic tuner
if it says tune down half a step
then just put your finger on the first fret and tune to standard
when you play an open note it will be Eb instead of E
or just get a tuner
most can tune chromatic or just have a flat button
wow i feel really stupid now so all i need to do is put my finger on the 1st fret when im tuning and it should work? is that the same for all the strings?
When they say tune down half a step they assume you are in Standard tuning ( EADGBE).'Half a step' means tune each string down by one semitone. SO making each note lower so half a step would be Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb OR D# G# C# F# A# D#
My gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS McCarty 10 Top
+more
JCM900 Head and 1960B
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR ZW-44
Korg Pitchblack
Small Clone
Boss GE-7

Check my band
www.suicideblonderocks.co.uk
Each fret is one half-step. So, if you take where you'd normally tune the open string to (on your fretboard), and move that down a half step, you're in. To go back to normal, just do the opposite. You only need to do that for one of the strings (I usually do it with my D string), then tune the rest as normal.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Buy a Korg Chromatic tuner. I found using the "fret then tune" method very imprecise. If you press harder the note is sharper ect.

Word of the day: Chromatic Tuner that means it tunes every note in the scale, not just EADGBe.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Eventually you will be able to tune it without even using a tuner, you'll get so used to the notes. I find it easy if i sing maybe like the Low E note, then play it on the guitar, and try get it quite near. Eventually u get quite alot of note recognition which i suppose isnt like perfect pitch but buildin towards being able to know what notes are on hearing them
My gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS McCarty 10 Top
+more
JCM900 Head and 1960B
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR ZW-44
Korg Pitchblack
Small Clone
Boss GE-7

Check my band
www.suicideblonderocks.co.uk
What I do to tune down by ear is as follows.

If you're gonna tune down half a step, you'll tune your low E string in relation to the A string, except instead of tuning to the 5th fret, you tune the low E to the 6th fret. You then proceed to tune the rest of the strings to the now low Eb/

Hopefully that made sense.
This should go in the only tuning thread.

*reported*
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.