So, im working towards a mustang build, and I'm trying to pick out a pick up (only need a bridge one), I play a lot of punk/rock, and a little bit of acousticish stuff, so it needs good cleans too. I've heard good things about the JB, but have never played something with one in it, and thats about the only thing I've looked into. I was also wondering what makes a pickup "hot," oh, and I know I dont want active pickups if I can avoid it. Just seems like it'd be a pain in the ass.
thanks
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

JBs don't sound bad IMO, but they dont do anything exceptionally well.

How much are you willing to spend?

www.sdpickups.com

^those are some of the best sounding pickups I've heard, although they are more vintage designed, they make some really high quality stuff.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
i dont wanna spend over $100, but ill go a little over for something i really like
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by USAPeavey
JBs don't sound bad IMO, but they dont do anything exceptionally well.

Well he is looking for a pickup that can do clean to rock. Versatility usually comes at that price. lol

But yeah, the jb is a great all around pickup
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
a "hot" pickup has more output, may even be a little distorted - it will drive an amp a little harder.

if you look at this chart...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones

..generally the higher the DC resistance, the higher the output, but the pickup with sound darker- the higher the resonant peak the brighter the pickup will sound.

Magnets also have an impact on pickups' overall output and tone. Alnico II magnets have the lowest output and warmest tone, ceramic magnets are the highest in output and brightness with alnico V magnets falling somewhere in between.

the JB is a pretty hot pickup
Pearly gates have a bit of a mid bump, but I like those in the bridge for hard rock to cleans. They are just under $100 new.
Maybe look at Rockmonkey pups. Contact Corduroy, he's a member here. They cost like 100 but he gives a 10% discount to Ugers
Dimarzio Norton
Seymour Duncan Custom Custom
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings: