Hey,
I wanted some help with the YCV50 from those who already own it. What's your take on the amp, and more importantly, I tried it out earlier this week and found that I couldn't break up the clean channel to get real tube overdrive. Is that normal? Is the gain channel a substitute for overdrive or is it just distortion? I'd really like to know if i can push this amp to get overdrive, and whether or not I can get a jimmy page tone outta this thing. Thanks!
It should do Jimmy page just fine and is a great amp, with a nice Marshally roar. Yes, the gain channel is a substitute for the od. A problem some people have is that their volume knob on their guitar is rolled off and that prevents natural breakup. Plus you really have to crank it up.
i dont think it would be weird that a tube amp dosent brake up even when cranked.
have you played a fender shit box from the 80's?
Thanks. I thought the whole point of the master volume was so that you could get tube breakup at reasonable levels (my lp volume was on 10s). So just to clearify the gain channel is a distortion channel? or is it an OD dial? (...this amp is looking less appealing!)
Quote by ehzz
Hey,
I wanted some help with the YCV50 from those who already own it. What's your take on the amp, and more importantly, I tried it out earlier this week and found that I couldn't break up the clean channel to get real tube overdrive. Is that normal? Is the gain channel a substitute for overdrive or is it just distortion? I'd really like to know if i can push this amp to get overdrive, and whether or not I can get a jimmy page tone outta this thing. Thanks!

As with any tube amp with a wattage over 15W, you will ahve to crank it up preeeeetty loud before the clean channel breaks up.

I don't see a problem with this? that's generally why you want an amp of significant wattage, for the clean headroom.
^yeah from what you say it is, less appealing.
just get an ac15, or a vintage modern, the 50 watts are going pretty good.
Quote by ehzz
Thanks. I thought the whole point of the master volume was so that you could get tube breakup at reasonable levels (my lp volume was on 10s). So just to clearify the gain channel is a distortion channel? or is it an OD dial? (...this amp is looking less appealing!)

No, a master volume...is to take the volume down....Turning it down prevent you from getting power amp distortion, since you're essentially turning down the power amp, prevent it from overdriving...
you can overdrive the preamp tubes by using the gain knob. it's not the same as cranking the clean channel and getting the preamp and powertubes to break up, but it's not using transistors to give you gain. in other words, there's not a distortion pedal inside the amp.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
So would a lower wattage amp give me what I want in addition to nice cleans if i were to roll down the volume from the guitar? any suggestions?
^Well, those cleans often aren't going to be that loud.
If you're looking for a Page tone, I still band the fact that the Traynor is a good choice. You don't always NEED power tube distortion. The Traynor works the power stage enough where the power tubes are getting saturated, anyway - it sounds great. It's hard to achieve on higher wattage amps, but then when you get to easier to crank lower wattage amps, you're sacrificing clean quality and clean volume.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Well, those cleans often aren't going to be that loud.
If you're looking for a Page tone, I still band the fact that the Traynor is a good choice. You don't always NEED power tube distortion. The Traynor works the power stage enough where the power tubes are getting saturated, anyway - it sounds great. It's hard to achieve on higher wattage amps, but then when you get to easier to crank lower wattage amps, you're sacrificing clean quality and clean volume.

Yeah, it is probably the best sounding amp for Page in it's range. You seem to set a lot in store by cranking an amp. Yes, a lot of guys did that, but it isn't the ONLY way and you don't need to crank the TRaynor to get some amazing sounds