I was listening to the song "Sanctuary" by The Cavalera Conspiracy.

The solo in that song sounds based around a scale that most death metal uses.

Does anyone know what scale it is?

I'm thinking maybe diminished but I'm not sure
Since you didn't provide the song or a tab, I can't give a definitive answer. Odds are, it's probably the minor scale with various chromatic tones thrown in.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
There is no tab on this site I've just been figuring it out by ear

The video is here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIj3kpPYh1M

The solo starts at the 2 minute mark

as I've said....it sounds like the same scale that I've heard in various songs by Death, Nile, and other death metal bands.

Sorry for the confusion....any help would be great
I think he starts off with Aeolian, and then lydian, and then he kicks in his harmonizer (5ths) while he does a small stint on Harmonic Minor, and then he goes back to aeolian and riffs out on power chords.
Quote by jsantos
I think he starts off with Aeolian, and then lydian, and then he kicks in his harmonizer (5ths) while he does a small stint on Harmonic Minor, and then he goes back to aeolian and riffs out on power chords.

Hmmm....you could be right. That sounds a bit more complicated than I would have expected.

Anyone care to confirm that or add anything else?
Quote by yearzero
Hmmm....you could be right. That sounds a bit more complicated than I would have expected.

Anyone care to confirm that or add anything else?

It is extremely unlikely that he is modulating from aeolian to lydian. The song likely isn't modal at all. Listening to it, it seems to be based in a minor key with liberal use of the major seventh.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
A minor key with the use of a major seventh would imply either the harmonic minor or the melodic minor wouldn't it?
Cool

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I can take it from here.
Quote by yearzero
A minor key with the use of a major seventh would imply either the harmonic minor or the melodic minor wouldn't it?

Harmonic minor is best thought of as a brief alteration of the seventh, not as a scale in its own right. "Minor" implies a V chord anyway.
Would you think of Phrygian dominant as a scale, or an alteration of the 3rd?
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.