Hello all, i've finally buckled down and i'm in the proccess of learning theory.
One thing that's really gotten me confused is Modes. Theres just so much going on that its hard to take in all at once.

I want to know if each modes patern holds true even in different keys.
Example

D-Dorian
--------------------4-5-7--------------------------
---------------5-7----------------------------------
-------5-7-8---------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------

Now, if I were to switch keys from C to say..G
Would the same pattern hold true for whatever note Dorian is?
What you need to start thinking about is less about the pattern and more about the intervals for each scale and how they relate to chords, but yes the pattern can be taken up and down the neck for each key. In the long run thinking about how the scale is constructed and its relation to the tonic or root is going to make it all come together in your playing. Eventually.
Quote by anarkee
What you need to start thinking about is less about the pattern and more about the intervals for each scale and how they relate to chords, but yes the pattern can be taken up and down the neck for each key.

+1

Don't be like me. I'm now STARTING to get the whole interval thing down. Hell, it wouldn't be a bad idea to practice different intervals and different combos of them. You'll essentially learn the same theory, but you'll be looking at it differently. But if you are learning scales, its not a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination. But IMO completely scalar playing sounds pretty bland a lot of times.
yea, if u have D dorian, its the same shape on G for example. and all the other modes are still relative to it, so if you have D dorian then you have E phrygian. but if you have G dorian then it's A phrygian. they're allways in the same order and the same pattern. just remember, I Dont Particularly Like Middle Age Ladies. that stands for Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian.
Yes it does work as a pattern, but don't learn it that way. I have and still do have problems with my playing because I learned scales and modes by the pattern. I do know what is changed in the intervals but what is even more important than that is knowing the notes as well. Due to me being lazy I'm not very good with saying the notes of the scale or mode and seeing them on my fretboard.

So in short it's best to know and see the notes and know what intervals are being changed rather than the pattern.