I have a Toshiba Satellite with Windows Vista, and a little over 2 gigs of ram. What would be a decent desktop recording device or what not?

PS Don't start on the whole "Vista sucks" thing. You will be reported. That's not what the thread is about.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
I herd that the Line 6 Toneports are good. Umm "this"
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
Thanks. I have nothing, I mean nothing when it comes to recording. So if anyone has any recommendations for a whole recording set up, thank you. I'm a total n00b at recording,but I wish to learn.
I probably should have said that first.
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by We'realltoBlame
I have a Toshiba Satellite with Windows Vista, and a little over 2 gigs of ram. What would be a decent desktop recording device or what not?

PS Don't start on the whole "Vista sucks" thing. You will be reported. That's not what the thread is about.

A good desktop recorder? You mean like how people record their screen? Hypercam 2 is what I use with the license, http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hypercam+2+license&search_type=&aq=f .

I hope this is what you were looking for!
XfalconX
Quote by XfalconX
A good desktop recorder? You mean like how people record their screen? Hypercam 2 is what I use with the license, http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hypercam+2+license&search_type=&aq=f .

I hope this is what you were looking for!
XfalconX

I'm not that dumb. Asshole. Out. NAOW.
Quote by Jackal58
Just an FYI, you need a firewire port to use that baby you just posted. It's like a USB, only it's a different shape.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
What are you going to record (electric guitar direct signal, or the amp)? And what's the budget/microphones used?
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by We'realltoBlame

Actually Vista doesn't suck at all, I use it in my studio. Thing is you need to choose your interface wisely for that OS such as an M-Audio.
You'll get that whole "vista sucks" more in the Pit...

As FastFingers stated, we need to know your budget and what you plan to record.
I would not go with the Behringer kit...

BTW you are looking for an interface, not a "Desktop recorder"...it's best to know the correct terms so nobody gets confused...
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 11, 2008,
Sorry I'm a n00b. What should I go with.
My budget is $300-$400.
I plan to use it to track pretty much any instrument be that electric guitar/bass/drums/vocals/ keys.
Quote by Jackal58
That'll hardly work. Are you sure you MUST do drums? The cost of even low-end kits fills up your budget, and you'll need stands and the interface itself (Firewire ones, which are essential unless you already know how to mix drumsets, with enough inputs for drums start at around $400). If those are electric drums...then that's ok.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

I guess to start with I don't need to be able torecord drums.
what would be good for guitars bass and vox?
Quote by Jackal58
Vox as in the amp? Or voice?

With around $300, I'd get a Presonus Inspire and a SM57. Your Satellite has a Firewire connection I hope...if not, a cardbus add-on is around $20. After stands and cable, it's $350 total. This can do everything...even DI into software amps.
Quote by keiron_d

My set cost me about 105$. I use a M-Audio Fasttrack, and some Nady SP-5's. Run that through Ableton Live 7, a tube preamp, and I get some pretty good recordings for 105$.
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Vox as in the amp? Or voice?

With around $300, I'd get a Presonus Inspire and a SM57. Your Satellite has a Firewire connection I hope...if not, a cardbus add-on is around $20. After stands and cable, it's $350 total. This can do everything...even DI into software amps.

Vox as in voice. Sorry about that.
That looks pretty good. I don't think my laptop has firewire though. It has at least four usb ports though.
Quote by Jackal58
For USB - I'd go with a Toneport UX1 or 2. The only difference being the amount of available inputs really.

They work well, easy to use, the Gearbox software is decent enough, and you can use the monitor out to go in to your amp to hear what you are recording - including the Gearbox effects. It uses USB, can do guitars and mics...

Not too dear either, bout $150 I'd imagine.
Quote by We'realltoBlame
Vox as in voice. Sorry about that.
That looks pretty good. I don't think my laptop has firewire though. It has at least four usb ports though.

Ok. I recommend getting that card, as getting Firewire can let you record drums in the future with good 8-input interfaces that separate each and every signal.

Well, if you can only have USB, I'd go for the Emu 0202 (<$100 here). It comes with a light version of Sonar, and can work with instruments, electric drums, and microphones with a little bit of fiddling. Line6's offerings are overpriced and under-featured.
Quote by keiron_d

Quote by Fast_Fingers
Well, if you can only have USB, I'd go for the Emu 0202 (<$100 here). It comes with a light version of Sonar, and can work with instruments, electric drums, and microphones with a little bit of fiddling. Line6's offerings are overpriced and under-featured.

Yeah, you're right. Compared to the L6 TP range, this slaughters it!
Line6 products are nowhere near as good as the EMU or Presonus, I would not get one again myself and dont really suggest you get one TS...

Firewire card for laptop

The Inspire 1394 is a great product to start with, I suggest that but if you must go USB than stick with USB2.0 such as the EMU 0202.
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 13, 2008,
I'm leaning heavily to the firewire card and the Presonus Inspire.
Thanks for all the help guys.
Quote by Jackal58