I have no idea how it happened but I somehow cracked one of my JJ 6L6GC's when re-inserting it. I was thinking I should look into a warmer tube with a bit smoother gain.
The JJ 6L6GC's are a bit too dark for my tastes. I play Metal, mostly Opeth and COB for example if that makes a difference. I'm pretty happy with my tone as it 'is', I just thought this would be a good opportunity to try a warmer set of t00bz.

Right now It seems like the TAD 6L6GC is the best choice.

Any suggestions? Sorry for making a new thread, but no one is really replying in the Everything Tube thread.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
When you say warmer, do you mean brighter?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I don't really know how to describe it, but my tone sometimes seems too dark, meaning like hollowish if you know what I mean. Hard to describe. I dont really mean brighter.

Gah. Hard to explain.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

more mids?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You're missing the point, I'm just looking for a 6L6 with a "warmer" (see my def. above) tone and smoother touch than the JJ. Mid's arent really to blame, I dont scoop them, dont put them high either since the V30 is touchy with mids. Usually at 12 o clock.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Well your gain comes from your preamp tubes mostly. I'm sure you have 12ax7's in there already. JJ's are pretty good power tubes. I have not tried these but I believe they are "winged GC's". The description seemed to match your needs.
http://thetubestore.com/tad-6l6wgc.html
Edit: forgot to include link. doh!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Hmm. Interesting, thanks for the link. Will that tube be able to handle metal? Judging by the description it seems like it might have a lot of headroom.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Metal distortion comes from preamp tube saturation, without power tube saturation. So yes, they would be better for metal. Us hard rock/classic rock guys want power tube saturation for our stuff. (Thus our love for the classic 30 while the metal crowd uses 60 watt plus amps). You don't want power tube saturation for more modern medal, you need that added headroom.

Edit: Ha I just read your sig, I was right about the 12ax7s...
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 11, 2008,
Gah, good point.

I dont know, I just get a feeling that the WGC version won't suit it for some reason. Is there a basis for this conclusion? I just see the smaller structure and amp recommendations and I get a bit skeptic as to how it would work for Metal.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

^Like i said, I never tried them but TAD is a good tube and the description matched your needs so I thought I would throw it out there. See what comes from your post in the tube thread, roc will likely answer you. He is good about that. 311 bumped it too.

Edit: These looked interesting... http://thetubestore.com/jan6l.html
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 11, 2008,
Yea I saw those, there a bit out of the price range for now.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
Yea I saw those, there a bit out of the price range for now.

Yea I'm thinking of grabbing a set of those, the tight bottom thing isn't what I am looking for though. Ha I just realized there isn't a good way to say tight bottom end without it coming out wrong. Oh, I better quit now. Good luck.
Quote by gregs1020
Yea I'm thinking of grabbing a set of those, the tight bottom thing isn't what I am looking for though. Ha I just realized there isn't a good way to say tight bottom end without it coming out wrong. Oh, I better quit now. Good luck.

Tight bass response? ;D

Thanks for the help
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

yeah - i would say if Erock or Roc doesn't see one of your posts to maybe PM them. Erock (i think) made mention of how he liked some of the Russian tubes. Also, IbanezPsycho and Bart_Devil are pretty good with tube options for VK.
Quote by gregs1020
Metal distortion comes from preamp tube saturation, without power tube saturation. So yes, they would be better for metal. Us hard rock/classic rock guys want power tube saturation for our stuff. (Thus our love for the classic 30 while the metal crowd uses 60 watt plus amps). You don't want power tube saturation for more modern medal, you need that added headroom.

Actually, you do want power tube saturation. Maybe not so much that it starts overdriving, but some tube saturation (while still staying clean on the clean channel) is desirable.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Any other opinions?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

A lot of it is the voicing of the amp - christ, i can't imagine anything brighter than my Engl and that has JJ GCs currently
Really? I heard other people say that the JJ 6L6's were dark in comparison to others. I do find the JJ preamps to be really dark though.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by Fama
Actually, you do want power tube saturation. Maybe not so much that it starts overdriving, but some tube saturation (while still staying clean on the clean channel) is desirable.

+1. Don't overdrive them, but get enough saturation so that it's not weak thin and buzzy.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Looking at the TAD 6L6WGC, it seems like the best option. I read someone say its a great tube that would work good for brightening a dark amp. Someone said its comparable to higher end NOS tubes, stuff like that.

http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1314
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=229788
http://www.fjamods.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1007&sid=052b5ccea963ac4e0fa2ae2e791adb91

I'll probably go with it. Any other opinions on this tube?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Last edited by mike.h at Oct 11, 2008,
Anyone?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator