Haha, strange question. I do have a guitar, but at the moment can't play it (Surgery). How can I continue to improve my skills while not touching it?
Man that's a tough one. Well if you can't exercise the muscles, you can do the mind instead. What I do when I'm on vacation and don't have a guitar around is to read up on theory and articles for techniques. Sometimes you dont need an instrument to learn new techniques for it. I also do sightreading by the notes. I wish you a speedy recovery
Focus on advancing your mental guitar skills.

I don't mean theory, I mean playing guitar with your mind. Once you've pinpointed and tapped into the specific harmonic frequencies of a guitar, you can play it without touching it. It's an amazing feat and a great party trick.

It's also the only way Michael Angelo Batio is able to play his quad-neck guitar.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
Quote by Athetosis

I don't mean theory, I mean playing guitar with your mind. Once you've pinpointed and tapped into the specific harmonic frequencies of a guitar, you can play it without touching it. It's an amazing feat and a great party trick.

It's also the only way Michael Angelo Batio is able to play his quad-neck guitar.

I think it just looks like MAB isn't touching the guitar but he is really playing it so fast.. too fast for the eye can see.
Quote by 20Tigers
work on ear training if you can find a way

most of these little quicktime metronomes have a 440 hrtz tone. If you can stand it lol
All good suggestions. I'd also add one of the most neglected areas of musicianship: Rhythm.

For example, you can practice Konokol anywhere. Not much info on that online, but John McLaughlin has a DVD out on the subject. There's a short clip of it at:

http://www.abstractlogix.com/features_view.php?idno=22

Or just do it the usual way, by counting and clapping, or whatever. I just think the Konokol thing is a great way to work on rhythm. No personal connection to John McLaughlin or anything (I wish! ).

Grep.
You can either do ear training or grab a book and start reading music and/or learn theory. I'm trying to see if I can upload this ear training flash program on my PSP so I can practice on the train ride.

Grep has a good idea (previous post^), but if you want to practice rhythm properly, get a metronome to nail the beats precisely.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Last edited by SilverDark at Oct 11, 2008,
Quote by Athetosis

I tried that, but my guitar burst into flame. What am I doing wrong?

Grep.
as per the MT fellas said,
learn theory..
listen to songs and focus on their intervals...

i have a good idea in here...
in some notation paper, write some random timings and try to practice that timings by clapping...
helps...
if you play computer games. go to the key settings and make all the key configurations where your pinky and ring finger are.

The idea is to use your pinky and ring finger more.
Assuming you can type, download Powertab and start writing some simple melodies. Sing them while PT plays with you. Your ability to sing will make you a more desired band member, but more importantly, singing is a big part of ear training.

You can have a terrible voice; you just need to sing in tune, even dissonant intervals like b5 and b9.
Theory

P.S. I'm a womanfolk! : )
sraeb

Quote by Trefellin
Show me your erection or gtfo... please.
for me it's listening to a bit of music (anything) and thinking 'hmmm, i could play a lead over this song' and then visualising the fretboard and thinking aurally as to what would sound good, using my memory.

for example, i'd think 'this g note would sound great, but this b note would sound realllly risky, pushing dissonance, at it were'.

etc.