Well, today I just bought a multi effects practice amp. After doing some looking around, I decided to buy the Cube 20X, however when I went to GuitarCenter, they said they only carry Cube 30Xs, but the guy recommended me another amp for the same price as the 20X except according to him, better.

This is the VOX Velvetronix AD15VT-XL, after trying it out I decided that it's fine and bought it. And really, it's a fantastic amp, however after playing around with it I came to the conclusion that it's too metal oriented. Out of the 11 amps that it simulates, 9 are incredibly gainy metal amplifiers, while only two provide a clean signal.

It bothers me, because honestly I don't need 9 different shred amps, hell, four would be enough. I'd trade in a couple of those for an acoustic simulator for example.

My point is, this seems to be a much higher quality amp than the Cube 20X, (solid state vs. tube) I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a similar amp to the VOX, but less "metal"?
Last edited by Metall_pingwin at Oct 11, 2008,
Yeah, the Vox Valvetronix AD15VT.

The one without the XL in it's model name.

The XLs are designed and marketed as being metal amps, becuase the original AD15VTs didn't do so well in that area.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
can't you lower the gain? of your gain is low, get your guitar volume lower

also, the cube has more gain than the vox.

btw, the Multi fx practice amp, ios actually called modelling amp, because it models other amps, instead of it's own sound.

btw, what genres do you play?
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
SSL27 gave the best answeer on this thread. if you have the XL, you abviously got the metal version of the Valvetronix. search for the one that doesnt say XL. it has more versatile amp simulations.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by Metall_pingwin
Well, today I just bought a multi effects practice amp. After doing some looking around, I decided to buy the Cube 20X, however when I went to GuitarCenter, they said they only carry Cube 30Xs, but the guy recommended me another amp for the same price as the 20X except according to him, better.

This is the VOX Velvetronix AD15VT-XL, after trying it out I decided that it's fine and bought it. And really, it's a fantastic amp, however after playing around with it I came to the conclusion that it's too metal oriented. Out of the 11 amps that it simulates, 9 are incredibly gainy metal amplifiers, while only two provide a clean signal.

It bothers me, because honestly I don't need 9 different shred amps, hell, four would be enough. I'd trade in a couple of those for an acoustic simulator for example.

My point is, this seems to be a much higher quality amp than the Cube 20X, (solid state vs. tube) I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a similar amp to the VOX, but less "metal"?

Very simple, AD15VT, no XL, I personally think it's a pretty good amp
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
How silly of me, that seems like a good plan.

Hmm, i'm still torn between this and the Cube, it just has so many more options to chose from. And that gosh darn acoustic sound I really liked.

As to what I play, is a bit of everything. I try everything from metal to very clean things, but most of all, I improvise and try to make my own music. No matter how shoddy it is.
That being said, I think of it like this: High distortion metal riffs are wicked cool, Clean tones are beautiful, I put my priorities on the beautiful. Though I feel like I enjoy the creation part of guitar playing the most, so I don't want to sound "like" anybody, if that's what you're getting at.
Last edited by Metall_pingwin at Oct 11, 2008,
Yea then the VT is the obvious choice. It's a great clean amp, I love the blues settings, it has a very good array of options. Good reverb too, IMO.