I've been playing guitar for a while, but was one of the unlucky ones to only get taught theory recently, so I've got a question that I should know the answer to... but don't.

Take this chord from one of my songs for example, F52. When I don't have something to break up the interval numbers (A5b4 has the 'b', to break up the 5 and the 4), such as F52 (F, C, G)?

Another question, when writing a progression (I V VI, etc...) do I write the third like 'III' or like 'IIV'? Does it matter?

Any help is appreciated. Also, tell me if I'm using the wrong words for things - don't want to embarrass myself.

Cheers!
Last edited by BGSM at Oct 11, 2008,
an A5 doesn't have a third in it its just a power chord if it has a 3rd its major or minor
Take this chord from one of my songs for example, A5b3

That's a minor chord. All chords have multiple intervals, because chords contains at least three notes. The theory sticky covers chord construction.

Another question, when writing a progression (I V VI, etc...) do I write the third like 'III' or like 'IIV'? Does it matter?

There is no such thing as "IIV". Three is written as III.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Ah shit, I should have known not to give that example, haha. A 5 b3 = Am.

What about F 5 2?
Quote by BGSM

What about F 5 2?

Fsus2. Again, this is covered in the theory sticky.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by BGSM

What about F 5 2?

I think that's just an F.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
^Fsus2. Unless it's an Fadd9, although that would require a major 3rd.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Oh, you're right. >.<
BUT, it could also be a Csus4. =)
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
I'm reading through the theory sticky aswell.

I'm not playing the 3rd though, so wouldn't that mean I'd have to make note of the 5th?

Thanks for your help so far. I feel like such a noob not writing A5b3 as Am

Edit: Csus4 could also be Gsus4b7, right?
Last edited by BGSM at Oct 11, 2008,
Quote by BGSM
I'm reading through the theory sticky aswell.

I'm not playing the 3rd though, so wouldn't that mean I'd have to make note of the 5th?

Thanks for your help so far. I feel like such a noob not writing A5b3 as Am

I don't fell like thinking it through to see if that's right, but if A is your root note it's Asus2.

And the I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX X etc are Roman Numerals and it only works a certain way. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_numeral

and with music theory capital letters mean major chords and lower case are minor.
Quote by BGSM

No. Gsus4b7 has the notes G, C, D and F. Csus4 and Fsus2 don't have a D in them.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Quote by yM.Samurai
No. Gsus4b7 has the notes G, C, D and F. Csus4 and Fsus2 don't have a D in them.

To be fair, omitting the fifth isn't entirely uncommon. Still, you'd need some pretty special context for C-F-G to suggest G7sus.
Why would you omit the fifth in a 7sus chord? It's only got 4 notes, there isn't enough in there to omit a note without fully changing the character.
Quote by metal4all

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by yM.Samurai
Why would you omit the fifth in a 7sus chord? It's only got 4 notes, there isn't enough in there to omit a note without fully changing the character.

Ridiculous. The fifth is tonally irrelevant, and is so consonant with the root that it likely wouldn't affect the sound at all.
Alright, thanks.

But one last question, how would I show the difference between F G A C (I suppose this is Fsus2 - 3rd incl.) and F G C (no 3rd)?
FGAC is an Fadd9 (because of the 3rd included, the 2nd counts as a 9th) wheeras FGC uses the 2nd to replace the 3rd, making it an Fsus2
Ahhhh, so the suspended means you're replacing the 3rd, and add means your adding to the triad.

Thanks a bunch!