What experiment could work for this?
A man believes that a motorcycle rides faster than the 25mph speed limit everytime it passes in front of his house. The motorcycle is NOT riding faster than 25 mph. How can you prove to the man that the motorcycle rides slower than the speed limit?
Last edited by streetlegal08 at Oct 11, 2008,
Follow the motorbike around for an hour at a constant speed, and record how far he went.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Use one of those speedogun thingys? (i have no clue what its called, im referring to those radar guns used by cops to measure the speed of vehicles).
Quote by toshiro umezewa
measure the distance from one end of the street to the other, get a stop watch, time how long it takes for the guy to pass by, find speed.

Dude you are amazing thank you very much. I never thought of it . Thank you so much man I really appreciate it.
Radar????
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
The motorcycle is on the back of a pickup.
Therefore, the motorcycle is moving faster than 25mph, but isn't moving at all.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Stop time, then walk the man over to the motorcycle and show him the speedometer.

/thread
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-Frank Zappa

"Where words fail, music speaks."
-Hans Christian Andersen
Quote by GibsonRocker14
Radar????

I was just thinking the same thing. If you told a cop that there was a motorist that habitualy sped past a perticular area, you could probably get them to post a cop with radar out there.
Quote by streetlegal08
Dude you are amazing thank you very much. I never thought of it . Thank you so much man I really appreciate it.

o wow
Quote by toshiro umezewa
measure the distance from one end of the street to the other, get a stop watch, time how long it takes for the guy to pass by, find speed.

Yeah but what if he speeds up, no where in the question does it say that it is going at a constant speed.

Edit: Nevermind, as long as the motorbike is always going less than the speed limit it doesn't matter. If it speeds up when it gets past his house though... But I don't think it does. =\
Last edited by Regression at Oct 11, 2008,
Quote by Regression
Yeah but what if he speeds up, no where in the question does it say that it is going at a constant speed.

but average speed should be good enough for this
Quote by Zida
but average speed should be good enough for this

Average speed isn't neccesarily good enough, if the motorcycles average speed is 25 mph, chances are at one point it went over.
Quote by Regression

it will still give him the velocity.
which is good enough for what he wants.
besides, if he speeds up and is over the speed limit already, then that tells him that the guy was speeding anyways.
Quote by Regression
Average speed isn't necessarily good enough, if the motorcycles average speed is 25 mph, chances are at one point it went over.

true.
if the guy had to turn a corner to get onto the street, he would start off slow, and pick up speed.
if he still had an average speed of 25, then he would had to have been moving faster than 25 mph at some point.
of course, the length of the road will determine the amount of variation due to acceleration and whatnot.
alternatively, he could just time the motorcycle when it stops increasing its speed by changing the distance that he times for.
say, a few houses before and after the mans house that needs proof that the motorcyclist is not speeding.

also, i'd like to ask the TS, is this homework or something, or do you have a crotchety old neighbor that hates kids riding by on their fast motorcycles?
Got it.
He lifts the back wheel, so his speedometer reads whacko numbers over 25 mph, but he actually isn't moving.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by toshiro umezewa
true.
if the guy had to turn a corner to get onto the street, he would start off slow, and pick up speed.
if he still had an average speed of 25, then he would had to have been moving faster than 25 mph at some point.
of course, the length of the road will determine the amount of variation due to acceleration and whatnot.
alternatively, he could just time the motorcycle when it stops increasing its speed by changing the distance that he times for.
say, a few houses before and after the mans house that needs proof that the motorcyclist is not speeding.

also, i'd like to ask the TS, is this homework or something, or do you have a crotchety old neighbor that hates kids riding by on their fast motorcycles?

Hmm, I don't think there is anyway you can have definative proof.