As the title implies, i am thinking about getting a new bass, and yes, i am new here.

I have been playing for about 6 months, all of them on a dean, don't even know which (Edge 9, maybe?) Anyway, it;s not the best, and i was wondering about a few of these.

-Peavey Millenium 5-string (Active pup Vs. Passive?)
-ESP LTD b-115 and F-105
-Ibanez SR305
-Squire P-bass

Before you say anything, yeah, i know that i need to play them and find out what i like. However, i would like some opinions on these and suggestions are welcome, i will have a chance to go to GC next week or so and try some. Budget $300-$600(wow, can't believe i said that!)

FYI, I play classic rock, some blues, a little metal and can forsee jazz coming on easily.
If these questions should have been answered by searchbar use, i didn't find the answer i was looking for.
thank you all in advance!
I'd go for a MIM P bass instead of the squier that price range....though of those four I'd prefer the Peavey. Based on your style, though, I think you'd like the P.
Nope, no sig here.
Also, i forgot to add
-Peavey grind bass bxp

Thanks for the input. Hey, humor my ignorance, what's the differecne between a p-bass and a j-bass? i know what the letters stand for, i'm not clear on the difference.
thanks, that helped. dang, i need a job if i'm gonna spend money like this
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
I don't want to sound like an ass, but honestly, you've only been playing for 6 months. Now, I dunno how good or bad your current bass is, but I think you ought to stick with it for at least a year. I played on rentals for about a year before I got my own guitar, that way, I knew what I wanted. And yes, I know how it feels to play on craptastic instruments. Seriously, wait a bit more and keep saving and buy a monster (not a brand, just saying in general). And no, I don't play bass... just trying to help
Last edited by chaoticchild555 at Oct 11, 2008,
Quote by chaoticchild555
I don't want to sound like an ass, but honestly, you've only been playing for 6 months. Now, I dunno how good or bad your current bass is, but I think you ought to stick with it for at least a year. I played on rentals for about a year before I got my own guitar, that way, I knew what I wanted. And yes, I know how it feels to play on craptastic instruments. Seriously, wait a bit more and keep saving and buy a monster (not a brand, just saying in general). And no, I don't play bass... just trying to help

^ what he said and save for something really nice like a good fender or a good spector or whatever...second bass should be a milestone something to be really proud off.
If your bass is, indeed an edge 9, you are completely justified in wanting to upgrade. But you really should be going for something in the outer edges of that price range. I'm tempted to recommend my usual in this price range (an Ibanez SR500, or 505, as you were looking into getting a 5 string), for the genres you're playing, that may not be the best thing. while the ibanez will work well for metal, I think something with a PJ pickup configuration would be good. now, as for your question about the pickups, the p pickup (the one that is split into two parts, hence the name "split coil") has more bass and mid range punch to it. These are generally considered better for rock, but a lot of other genres use them too. the j pickup is a single coil pickup, meaning that it has more treble. the p pickup would be good for classic rock and blues, and the j would be good for jazz, if you start that. both would work for metal.

now for your question about active and passive pickups. I'm assuming you mean active pickups and not preamps, right? active pickups have less winding than passive pickups, so they have more treble. however, less winding means less output. that's why they need a preamp.

As for recommendations, I'd recommend you a fender, pj bass (with passive electronics), if only such a thing existed, as fender, for whatever reason, refuses to make just a simple MIM p bass with that configuration. You could get a p-bass special, if you're willing to go $50 over, and can deal with changing the batteries. The added versatility of the active preamp will be a great help anyway. And if you're way too put off by the pickguard, you're not alone. you could always swap out the pickguard for something less ugly. I'd get it in black and swap in a black pickguard, but that's just me
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Last edited by kugelspot at Oct 11, 2008,
If I were you I'd go for a Precision bass or Jazz bass.

You could get a

Squier Vintage Modified P - Agathis body
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz - Maple body
Squier Classic Vibe P - Basswood body
Squier Classic Vibe Jazz - Basswood body
Fender P - Alder body
Fender J - Alder body

Out of those, Alder is the best (in most cases) body wood. Id say Basswood and Maple tie? and Agathis is the worst out them (but not a bad wood). Sound and weight wise the wood makes a BIG difference. The Vintage Modified P is the lightest and the others are probably close to the same in weight.

Jazz bases have thinner necks and offset waist bodies.

All great basses, but it boils down to what you want and what you want to spend and what color you want

They can cover any genre well, are built well, sound good, play well and will be a major upgrade from what you're playing now. Don't hold off if you have the money to buy one. Make sure you're positive on what you want.

Try them out though, you might not like Fenders or Squier at all

If you have any more questions or just want to learn more about bass check out the FAQ and use the search bar. A lot of very helpful information can be found on here.
Last edited by Miss G at Oct 11, 2008,
Quote by Miss G

Jazz bases have thinner necks and offset waist bodies.

jazz basses dont all have thinner necks..geddy lee sig is a thin neck ...but i played a 2008 jazz and it had quite a thick neck
Quote by bass is bestest
^ what he said and save for something really nice like a good fender or a good spector or whatever...second bass should be a milestone something to be really proud off.

A Spector after 6 months of playing? Maybe a Legend but I am not a big fan. Go with like a Made In Mexico Fender.

EDIT:Maybe I should have read the post above me.
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW
ibanez sr505 its a nice bass
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Quote by chaoticchild555

^good point. jsut like to dream, i guess. and the time will come.

also, what's the story on laguna? are they only good at high price range? I have heard that their guitars aren't good, but i don't know.

the active/passive question was about the peavey, it comes in a model that has active VFL pups. just wondering if it was worth the extra money.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Last edited by samskii at Oct 11, 2008,
Miss G, I wouldn't say agathis is "worse." It's just very transparent in it's tone (which I personally quite like). The only reason it's cheap is not because it's bad- it's only just really been started being used as a tonewood, and there's f*cking loads of it