Hey all. please take the time to read this post, it is important.

So today i set off to Kosmic music (the main music centre in australia), to try out some more amps (i have been looking for about 6 months. i had tried the valveking 212 at a previous store, and was not impressed. however i learned later how dodgy that store was, so i decided to try it at kosmic.

i fell in love. it impressed the shit out of me and the tone was perfect. i tried all the other amps in the store and none of them cut up to it. they sold me it with a peavey footswitch and a digitech multieffectsboard for $1200 aus dollars.

rushing home, i plugged it in, loving the shit out it. i then thought, hey, ill try out the footswitch. i put in in, and it first didnt turn on. after about a minute it did, and i was using it with ease. i was playing a disturbed riff when all of a sudden the sound cut off and was making loud spurting noises at me, and then a really loud BOOM! that hurt my ears. Shitting myself, i put it on standby and turned it off. i then gave it a rest for about a minute and turned it back on. the same splurting noise. i couldnt even get any sound out of the gain or clean channels except the splurting noise.

pissed off, i went back to the store, and he said he had absolutely no idea why it happened.he couldnt find any other new amps in the shop, so he offered me the floorstock amp for a little cheaper price, and insisted it had only been there for a few days. (probs BS but i really didnt give a monkeys anus). i took it home, (fingers crossed), and plugged it in. it was perfect, sounded like the most badass thing on earth. i then hesitantly thought i would try the footswitch again, so i turned the amp on standby and turned it off. i put the switch in, warmed it up, and turned it back on. Instantaneously, SPLURT SPLURT, BOOM! and it turned off. after that i couldnt even turn the amp on. i rang the shop up and he said its probs the fuse, which i checked, and was a little grey. i said to him it must be the footswitch for the same mother****ing thing to happen twice in one day, but he suggested otherwise.
my mums gunna go back on monday and hes going to give me a new one and a new footswitch to see if it solves the problem, if not, then i guess it back to more months of amp testing.

All i want to know from you is if you think it was the footswitch, or anything else, and if so, THEN WHAT THE TURTLES BALLS IS IT?

just thought id share my pain with you.

NOTE: If you wish too see how the new amp is, come on here on monday and search---- peavey valveking - the end? --- and i will input you on what the problem was.

ALSO NOTE: there is nothing wrong with my powerpoint..... i have been using it with my shitty marshall for a year, and with my cd player.

thanks. (and yes, i know this is one big mutha of a thread)
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Last edited by SOADriff at Oct 11, 2008,
Oh man. I was gonna get a VK in April, but decided against it.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
its sounds like there something wrong with the powerpoint u are using, the peavey amps u just got from kosmic did just arrived i rang up the other day and they said there was some on the way

that is the only real thing i can think of to be honest,

but u have scared the shit out of me ive only just got me valve king 100 yesterday WAH
nah man its not the powerpoint as you can see in the edit i just put there (ALSO NOTE)
Quote by Mad Marius
well the first time the fuse didnt blow but it made a much louder boom. the second time it did and it didnt make so much of a boom but more of a splutter.

but dude dw cos im about 95% certain its the footswitch. ud just better hope that 5% is wrong. =)
Quote by Mad Marius
Quote by lp_std
ive never heard of kosmic music.

I think he meant it's the biggest in WA.
Quote by Skwisgaar Skwigelf
Fish don't gots no good metal to listens to.
please just try to answer my question at the end lol.
Quote by Mad Marius
I highly doubt it's the footswitch, purely because of how footswitches work.

They just send very low voltage pulses through a cable to your amps switching unit telling it which way to route your signal. They just don't put out or deal with the kind of voltages that can cause such a catastrophic failure in an amp.

I currently use a ValveKing head (in australia too), I've owned it for about a year and a half, it's been used at about 30 odd gigs as well as weekly 4-6 hour band practices and has never had an issue of any sort.

My best guess it that perhaps the power cable itself is no good. I'm not sure if the combo ValveKings have hard wired power cables or not, but if it's a seperate IEC (kettle cord) power cable, then perhaps the ground connector isn't sttached properly and it's just frying the amp's input transformer.

That's my best guess, I'm no electrician but I've had a lot of experience with Peavey gear and I've never known them to make an unreliable product, even their low end stuff is almost bomb-proof.
Somewhere an English teacher is weeping.

I have to agree with the above poster. I also can't see the footswitch doing any amount of damage. You could always open it up and see if its wired correctly to make sure.
are you using the correct impedance?

are you using a proper speaker cable?

are the tubes in properly?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Somewhere an English teacher is weeping.

What is that supposed to mean?

and to stevo im doing everything right in the store it worked fine but i used his floor pedal the problem only started when i used the new pedal.
Quote by Mad Marius
Quote by SOADriff
Hey all. please take the time to read this post, it is important.

So today i set off to Kosmic music (the main music centre in australia), to try out some more amps (i have been looking for about 6 months. i had tried the valveking 212 at a previous store, and was not impressed. however i learned later how dodgy that store was, so i decided to try it at kosmic.

i fell in love. it impressed the shit out of me and the tone was perfect. i tried all the other amps in the store and none of them cut up to it. they sold me it with a peavey footswitch and a digitech multieffectsboard for $1200 aus dollars.

rushing home, i plugged it in, loving the shit out it. i then thought, hey, ill try out the footswitch. i put in in, and it first didnt turn on. after about a minute it did, and i was using it with ease. i was playing a disturbed riff when all of a sudden the sound cut off and was making loud spurting noises at me, and then a really loud BOOM! that hurt my ears. Shitting myself, i put it on standby and turned it off. i then gave it a rest for about a minute and turned it back on. the same splurting noise. i couldnt even get any sound out of the gain or clean channels except the splurting noise.

pissed off, i went back to the store, and he said he had absolutely no idea why it happened.he couldnt find any other new amps in the shop, so he offered me the floorstock amp for a little cheaper price, and insisted it had only been there for a few days. (probs BS but i really didnt give a monkeys anus). i took it home, (fingers crossed), and plugged it in. it was perfect, sounded like the most badass thing on earth. i then hesitantly thought i would try the footswitch again, so i turned the amp on standby and turned it off. i put the switch in, warmed it up, and turned it back on. Instantaneously, SPLURT SPLURT, BOOM! and it turned off. after that i couldnt even turn the amp on. i rang the shop up and he said its probs the fuse, which i checked, and was a little grey. i said to him it must be the footswitch for the same mother****ing thing to happen twice in one day, but he suggested otherwise.
my mums gunna go back on monday and hes going to give me a new one and a new footswitch to see if it solves the problem, if not, then i guess it back to more months of amp testing.

All i want to know from you is if you think it was the footswitch, or anything else, and if so, THEN WHAT THE TURTLES BALLS IS IT?

just thought id share my pain with you.

NOTE: If you wish too see how the new amp is, come on here on monday and search---- peavey valveking - the end? --- and i will input you on what the problem was.

ALSO NOTE: there is nothing wrong with my powerpoint..... i have been using it with my shitty marshall for a year, and with my cd player.

thanks. (and yes, i know this is one big mutha of a thread)

TL;DR But what the hell man? Best amp in the store? What did this guitar store have for amps? Roasted turd?

It's weird that a footswitch blew your amp out. Did you plug it in the right place?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by SOADriff
and to stevo im doing everything right in the store it worked fine but i used his floor pedal the problem only started when i used the new pedal.

the VK has 3 impedances to choose from, if you connect the speaker to the wrong one you will destroy your amp, namely the output transformer i think
the VK has 3 impedances to choose from, if you connect the speaker to the wrong one you will destroy your amp, namely the output transformer i think

Hey stevo, i think that may be the problem. but would you mind telling me what impedances are? (LOL nooby question)
Quote by Mad Marius
Quote by SOADriff
Hey stevo, i think that may be the problem. but would you mind telling me what impedances are? (LOL nooby question)

4 8 and 16

im not going to say which to connect it to as i dont know what speakers youre using and how they are wired

dont let onto the store that this is the problem as its your fault and they could charge you
If you are plugging your amp directly into a wall socket, try using a power strip/regulator.
im not going to say which to connect it to as i dont know what speakers youre using and how they are wired

im not using any speakers. just the amp straight up. i set it up the same way i did at the store
Quote by Mad Marius
what does the manual tell you?

the manual doesnt tell you how to even turn it on. it just says what the nobs are for.
Quote by Mad Marius
Last edited by SOADriff at Oct 12, 2008,
Since we're discussing VKs here, what's the difference between the 112 and the 212 combo?
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
what's the difference between the 112 and the 212 combo?

One has 50 watts the other 100. the 212 also has 2 more nobs, prescence and im not sure what the other one is.
Quote by Mad Marius
Quote by Thebiz
Since we're discussing VKs here, what's the difference between the 112 and the 212 combo?

Biggest difference is that the 112 has one 12" speaker (hence 112) and is 50W and the 212 (guess what?) has 2 12" speakers and is 100W

On topic: What cab are you using topicstarter? Or did you buy the combo?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
On topic: What cab are you using topicstarter? Or did you buy the combo?

its the combo.
Quote by Mad Marius
So it cant be a speaker missmatch.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
well tomorrow is judgement day.. fingers crossed...
Quote by Mad Marius
on most amps the speakers are connected to a cable which you have to plug into the amp and select the impedance.

the reason there's different impedances is in case you want to swap the speakers, even on the combo

so it can be a speaker mismatch