I just moved to Irvine, CA on UCI campus and have in my room a digital piano in front of the window, and a Gibson LP and Breedlove and Washburn acoustic/electrics on stands against the wall from the edge of the window to the corner of the room (there will be a Strat in the mix soon)

in Orange County the weather's always nice enough outside that we can keep the AC off and crack open the windows which I've been doing, but now I'm remembering something about needing to keep humidity of the room between 45-55% for your guitars.

according to weather.com right now its 56F (probably as cold as it will ever get here, random cold front tonight) but is lists humidity at 88%(maybe just b/c of the cold front?), however looking at hourly forecast tomorrow (actually from an hour from now) it shows humidity fluctuating between 57 and 28% at similar temps, then this weekend it gets as low as 20% at one point, doesn't really show any pattern relating to temperature but just randomly fluctuates, I wouldn't consider it to be dry here though. actually looking at another site now it says the avg morning relative humidity is 80% evening 57% for the year

so my question is do I need to keep my window closed all the time to protect my guitars? I'd really rather not have to keep them in cases all the time, and I figured since the weather is always decent around here, no extremes, it wouldn't do much harm but anyone know more on how room humidity is affected by opening the window and have suggestions?
Last edited by ZagsElite at Oct 11, 2008,
Speaking from experience, the guitar's necks will be the most effected component of them in regards to changes to the weather. My SG takes a hit each time the humidity fluctuates more than about 10%. I am constantly retuning either up or down, depending on which way the humidity went that day. However, my Alvarez is rock solid and I rarely need to do more than tweak the fine tuning. Different guitars take to these changes differently. The suggested temperature and humidity levels are fine for the majority of instruments. If possible, try to stick to these: 70degrees F @ 45-50% humidity for the majority of the time. There's no getting around the changes that will occur, but if you can, at other times, keep it a constant(like when you sleep, or are away), then the overall health of the instruments will remain intact. Other than salt in the air if you live near the ocean, I can see no reason not to leave a window open at times. Just be aware of the temp and humidity and compensate when needed.
I lost a nice acoustic I pciked up at garage sale this summer.
Forgot it at my trailer for 3 weeks.
It looked like a pretzel when I returned.
A moment of silence please.
Mr Deetag
THE ONE AND ONLY
My friends:
Marco,thebassmaster,angie-rose morbid death,Bubonic
turinbrakes.dace
DRK HRSE & Leno
ahallicks.wahappen...geesh!
so I'm thinking I could check the weather report online periodically and if humidity goes below 30 or above 70 I'll shut my room window?