Yeah im gonna get a new half stack...but i didn no if i should get a tube amp or solid state? heres the amps im choosing from. crate flexwave,kirk hammet randall,peavy b-52,peavy windsor..can anyone help me on this issue?
SEARCHBAR... oh please, why does no-one listen..
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Quote by pyro_maniac616
Yeah im gonna get a new half stack...but i didn no if i should get a tube amp or solid state? heres the amps im choosing from. crate flexwave,kirk hammet randall,peavy b-52,peavy windsor..can anyone help me on this issue?

no, yes, peavey b-52? what?, no
First off, judging by the amps you listed, getting a halfstack is a bad idea. You just wont get something good.
The flexwave is terrible, as is the Randall. The B-52 AT-112 (Which btw is it's own company, NOT part of peavey) is very good and the Windsor is alright too.
Styles?
Budget?
Home or gigging?
Where do you live?
Quote by elliott FTW

Whats the point of posts like these? People register on a forum in order to post and ask questions, not necessarily use hit/miss search features to scan through 100s of irrelevant pages to find a keyword match that may answer a totally different question. Not like this forum is incredibly active to the point stuffs being flooded off the first page within 10 seconds anyway? Right? And hes comparing a handful of specific amps not just asking "what amps rock?". Always has to be some OCD sufferers on every forum going thread to thread typing "Search feature". Always.

To the TS;

I'm assuming all of these amps are solid state and the Randall will most likely have the most "metal" tone- but don't expect to be *totally* satisfied with any low end amps natural distortion if you want really heavy stuff. Find the one that has the best fundamental metal tone to it rather than the slightly higher gain, then throw on an overdrive pedal to beef that up without ruining that nice tone is what a lot of guys playing solid states do. Its a lot cheaper and easier to adjust your choice of pedal/gain to your amp later on than the other way around.

Often youtube has little vids of somebody playing any given amp. I'm gonna guess the randall hammett half stack youre looking at is the "KH 120" or something similar?

Typically the recording on each vid is crappy ( like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvWHsO9Lr-Q that i found since i was on there already) but if you find several your ears eventually average it out and get a feel for each amps sound. It'll def have vids of B-52s, crates, etc too.

Guess my answer is out of those- Randall...

In the event you were considering it I have to say stay away from the similarly priced Marshall MG series half stacks. I got one and its regulated to "incase all my other heads randomly explode and i have to play a concert the next morning" duty. Love their 1960 cabs though.
MCR is also spot on about maybe avoiding a half-stack all together at that level. They look wicked and you can post sweet photos of yourself standing by it online looking mean, but often you can get a smaller, higher quality, heck even sometimes louder, combo amp for the price of a cheapo half stack.
Diezel VH4 is pretty good for metal

but until you give a budget youre going to get sweet FA in the way of decent replies
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
^yah its more portable and most of the time you get your moneys worth plus.
also alot of combos come with out jacks to put into a cab, so if you think more speakers you could do that down the road.
How much money do you have.
for that, you can check out a 5150 or 6505. used mesas; F series, DC, if youre lucky maybe a Mark or a Recto if you look hard. do you already have a cab? if so what kind? if it is a MG, Crate or Behringer, just go for a combo or up your budget...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by pyro_maniac616
1000$ lol

It's hard to score a high quality halfstack for that much.

A good head will usually run you about $1,500+.

If I had $1,000 and were searching for a halfstack I look for a used Carvin Legacy, good overdrive or distortion, and a 2x12 cab.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2117809 $500, great price!

Or this

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2119588

And a 2x12 cab. Avatar would probably have the best Quality:price for you.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by neoclassical
Whats the point of posts like these? People register on a forum in order to post and ask questions, not necessarily use hit/miss search features to scan through 100s of irrelevant pages to find a keyword match that may answer a totally different question. Not like this forum is incredibly active to the point stuffs being flooded off the first page within 10 seconds anyway? Right? And hes comparing a handful of specific amps not just asking "what amps rock?". Always has to be some OCD sufferers on every forum going thread to thread typing "Search feature". Always.

To the TS;

I'm assuming all of these amps are solid state and the Randall will most likely have the most "metal" tone- but don't expect to be *totally* satisfied with any low end amps natural distortion if you want really heavy stuff. Find the one that has the best fundamental metal tone to it rather than the slightly higher gain, then throw on an overdrive pedal to beef that up without ruining that nice tone is what a lot of guys playing solid states do. Its a lot cheaper and easier to adjust your choice of pedal/gain to your amp later on than the other way around.

Often youtube has little vids of somebody playing any given amp. I'm gonna guess the randall hammett half stack youre looking at is the "KH 120" or something similar?

Typically the recording on each vid is crappy ( like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvWHsO9Lr-Q that i found since i was on there already) but if you find several your ears eventually average it out and get a feel for each amps sound. It'll def have vids of B-52s, crates, etc too.

Guess my answer is out of those- Randall...

In the event you were considering it I have to say stay away from the similarly priced Marshall MG series half stacks. I got one and its regulated to "incase all my other heads randomly explode and i have to play a concert the next morning" duty. Love their 1960 cabs though.

What is the point of posts like these? If you don't know anything about the amps he is asking about why post 'advice'?
Out of your options the B-52 and Windsor are your best bet, I would take the B-52 over the windsor for metal.
There are hundreds of threads where people with less than a thousand dollars want a half stack for teh br00talz. But its just not the best option.
For a $1000 you can get a great used mesa nomad, DC-5 or F series off ebay, along with used Carvin legacy combos and peavey JSX combos. All Cheaper than their relative half stacks, and all great value.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Last edited by Deep*Kick at Oct 11, 2008,
Check this, which is louder? 100watt 2X12" combo or a 50 watt full stack 4x12 + 4x12

Give up? The combo.
^technicaly speaking, 100watts is louder then 50 watts, (100>50), but because of the extra speakers, then it would add to the amount of sound making it seem to be louder.
Quote by elliott FTW

Forget that, why does nobody use the CLEARLY LABELED "Which Amp?" sticky? It would save so much trouble... oh yeah, and I made a post in there yesterday that nobody's gotten to, I posted a tl;dr version on the current page of it if anybody cares.
On topic: used 6505 or 5150 combo with a speaker swap is well within your budget. You don't need a half stack.
Quote by sesstreets
Check this, which is louder? 100watt 2X12" combo or a 50 watt full stack 4x12 + 4x12

Give up? The combo.

Dunno really.

So many factors.

Some amps, such as British flavored amps sound louder than German and American flavored amps just because they have more mids and treble, which "sounds" louder to human ears, just because the frequencies are more easily percieved.

100watts of Mesa isn't as "loud" as 100 watts of Marshall.

As far as the actual wattage goes, 2 amps of the same series w/ same tubes, speakers, parts, but one is 50 and one is 100 watts, the 100 will be a hair louder. But the ohms, impedance, speakers, wiring, and all that jazz effects the overall loudness.

A fullstack would push what, 6 more dB of air, I believe, over a 2x12 combo.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Deep*Kick
What is the point of posts like these? If you don't know anything about the amps he is asking about why post 'advice'?

I've played several amps from the above mentioned brands and series..

Randalls in my opinion have the best "metal" tone if hes looking at the solid state KH halfstacks from them, sorry if I bullied your buddy a bit to hard for him to take but everyone already knows the search button is there and it gets a bit old trashing peoples questions because it was asked already in 1994. Anyway I agree on a used tube combo being a good option.
Last edited by neoclassical at Oct 11, 2008,