Been playing for about a year and recently learnt drop tunings, only know drop C and drop D atm, but I'm worried about tuning back to standard tuning after dropping to low C.

I tuned to drop C the other night on my acoustic Ibanez and when tuning back the G string snapped, now the strings on this guitar where old so I put the snapping mainly down to the condition of the strings. I'm now worried about drop C tuning on my other acoustic, when I retune the strings make that cracking sort of noise where they're tightening.

I just wanted to know whether its a bit dangerous doing this?
It wont hurt your guitar. You will go through a lot more sets of strings though.
It will effect your strings a bit, but they probably did just snap cos they were old, and the cracking noise is normal too.
Your fine.
Tune away.
I use alot of alternate tunings,probable retune 5-6 times a day.
Or buy more guitars, have one for all your favorite tuning.
Mr Deetag
THE ONE AND ONLY
My friends:
Marco,thebassmaster,angie-rose morbid death,Bubonic
turinbrakes.dace
DRK HRSE & Leno
ahallicks.wahappen...geesh!
I'm always a bit worried about this too, I've broken two strings recentley tuning to and from open D so I'm refraining from playing drifting till I get a new guitar
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
Quote by renegade2031
I'm always a bit worried about this too, I've broken two strings recentley tuning to and from open D so I'm refraining from playing drifting till I get a new guitar

drifting is in dsus4.....and you probably just need new strings
I tune alot I go from Open G to Page tuning (DGCGCD) heck I even went down to Drop B (I was so scared when I had to tune back up to standard) but my G string broke when I was tuning back from C F Bb Eb G C when I put new strings back on sometimes I notice this clicking sound (when I'm tuning them up) but I guess thats normal right?
The world is full of Kings and Queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams it's Heaven and Hell
Urm ... those clicking noises are a guitarist's enemy. XD

I think those are the moment's when a guitarists' need his courage. XD

And it's pretty normal. o.o;;
I know your problem. its so obvious! omg why didnt i see this before.

Its cos your playing and ibanez ACOUSTIC
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
That clicking noise, is your string binding in the nut.

It binds, stretches then snaps back.

Look at your nut, is it worn or rough?

It is quite common on crappy nuts, as they aren't always cut properly or are made of hollow plastic, which wears very easily.

Get a bone nut made by a pro, with the slots pointing at the tuner the string is going to.
Quote by shadman
that clicking noise scares the life outta me :P

same here sometimes I'm almost too afraid to tune my guitar