I Bought an Ibanez RGR420EX last weekend, with Ibanez's V7 & V8 Pickups. It sounded great instore...but not on my amp at home. The Pups sound really muddy.

I'm looking for a classic/hard rock/metal tone...kinda like AC/DC but stronger. I'm using a crazy old Marshall Valve Amp.

What settings would help?
What OD/Distortion pedal would you recommend to tighten it all up
New Pickups???

Please UGers...Help Me!
Gibson SG
Ibanez RGR420ex
Marshall JTM30
Slash SW95 Crybaby
Boss DS1/DD7
Digitech Bad Monkey

Maybe the amp?
i dont really know, but if u say the instrument sounded good in the shop; then maybe it just sounded better cos they played it on their best amp?

im not sure really tho, so wait til u get some more replies
Did you know that 37% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
Theres a reason they let you try out guitars on amps prob twice the value of the guitar, most guitars will sound good on em. Id start saving for an amp.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
well, in the shop it was a line 6 spider, but theyre god awful with high volumes... any recommendations at all??
Gibson SG
Ibanez RGR420ex
Marshall JTM30
Slash SW95 Crybaby
Boss DS1/DD7
Digitech Bad Monkey

Maybe get the amp revalved? Thats always whats in the back of my mind when I try guitars in a shop, is this only sounding amazing because I'm playing it through a £1000 amp? An idea is to find the amp in store that is the closest to yours, both price and quality wise, say you are interested in both, and ask to play the guitar you want through that. Sometimes gives you a better idea of the sound you will get when you get home.
Quote by Rolling_man
I Bought an Ibanez RGR420EX last weekend, with Ibanez's V7 & V8 Pickups. It sounded great instore...but not on my amp at home. The Pups sound really muddy.

I'm looking for a classic/hard rock/metal tone...kinda like AC/DC but stronger. I'm using a crazy old Marshall Valve Amp.

What settings would help?
What OD/Distortion pedal would you recommend to tighten it all up
New Pickups???

Please UGers...Help Me!

You have pretty much the same amp that Angus Young uses so that ain't the problem...the pickups in the RG's are an oddity to say the least though, ceramic magnet in the neck, alnico 5 in the bridge. They don't sound all that great and they're not really voiced for what you want to play, they work okay for "typical" RG stuff like shred...you want something with a more vintage quality to the tone.

If you want a kind of Angus "plus" tone then a pair of Dimarzio Breeds should work really well, you could also look at the Seymour Duncan Custom 5 or Custom Custom with a 59 in the neck.

An EQ pedal never hurts when using an old amp either, but in your case I'd actually
say change pickups first.

[EDIT] scratch my pickup recommendations, you're in Wales!

Rockmonkey Silverback PAF in the bridge, Warm Heritage in the neck...I think, but PM CorduroyEW for proper info on them and an accurate recommendation

www.rockmonkeyguitars.com
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 11, 2008,
A pair of dimarzios sound like a good option, i can source them from somewhere (hopefully)

And kudos to you, monsieur le Seagull...for the only person to realise how kick ass my amp really is.
on the other hand, a retubing may be in order
Gibson SG
Ibanez RGR420ex
Marshall JTM30
Slash SW95 Crybaby
Boss DS1/DD7
Digitech Bad Monkey

Seriously, forget Dimarzios...Cord's pickups will be far superior

That guy knows more about pickups than anyone on this board.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Sure they didnt swap the guitar while u aint looking?
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
I'm with Mark, that's not a crazy old amp, it an insanely nice old amp. You should be able to down the bass a bit on the amp to reduce "muddyness" but pups will make a big difference on that amp with that guitar. Contact CorduroyEW, you will be glad you did.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.