Right, i was wondering if i could get a few things cleared up.

I used to use a toneport ux2, which was ok but for some reason it decided to stop working awhile back. I am desperate to start recording again and think i am going to go with the below link.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOFTRACKPRO

However if i am going to record again i might aswell try and get a decent one and one of my friends has recommended the mbox 2 which is £269. I am guessing that obviously this is better than the first choice but is it worth the money? Also, is it the full version of pro tools it has or is it just a demo? I have never used pro tools before but i think i have read that you can do midi tracks on it is this true? Or do i just stick to fruity loops for the midi tracks?

Please let me know what you think i am really wanting to buy one today. I can't resist the urge to record anymore!
Anyone? Is their even a difference between the mbox2 and the mini?

I would like to know soon as i would like to go into town and get it today.
It's just the number of inputs and outputs. The mini has one XLR, two 1/4 and is USB, while the Mbox 2 Pro has firewire and:
# 4 analog inputs (2 XLR/1/4" TRS combo jacks & 2 1/4" TRS jacks)
# 6 analog outputs (1/4" jacks)
# 2 instrument DI inputs on the front panel
# 2 channels of S/PDIF digital I/O (RCA)
# Built-in phono preamp input (RCA) for direct turntable connection
# 1 MIDI input and output (16 channels in/16 channels out)
# MIDI Time Stamping (MTS) support for superior timing and accuracy
# Word Clock (useful if you have multiple digital devices)

IMHO, Mboxes are far too expensive for what they do. What's your budget and what are you recording? If a Mini's good enough, it's better to get a Presonus Inspire, which has more inputs/outputs, and can separate out each track with Firewire, and records at better quality.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
So should i go with a firewire device rather than a USB device?
I am not sure how much im willing to spend, i would say up to £200 which is about $400 but if going slightly over gets me better quality i am willing to do that.
I am just going to buy whatever i choose from the internet, would have to wait a few days but its cheaper.

I am using an sm58 mic and record electric guitar, acoustic and vocals. In the future i would like to get a bass which i could preferably plug straight into the interface as that would be cheaper for me.
Then the Inspire's perfect for you. It can take bass directly, and it can take two microphones at once. Being Firewire, you can separate all the inputs into different tracks (USB cannot do that, even 2.0 interfaces to the best of my knowledge). It's $200 US.

You can spend the rest of the $400 on a good microphone (Rode NT1A, Studio Projects B3, maybe even a CAD Triton 7000 Ribbon) for vocals and acoustic, or for a decent bass.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

Cool thanks for the help. I'm going to order it off of musician's friend. If there is somehow a problem with it installing or whatever (which their shouldn't be) can i return it no problem?
Eh, I've had on and off experiences with MF. I personally prefer Americanmusical...they just deliver it stat. In either case, check the return policy.

And a possible bass: http://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPD4
Quote by keiron_d

Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Oct 11, 2008,
in regards to the protools question...protools is F*ckin expensive!!!!
+ the internal gubbins... its pricey
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=