Page 1 of 2
It's kind of silly, but what kind of pick do you use? All mine suck, and my Fenders keep breaking (even with hard!) And i'm not even picking that hard. Usually, picks don't give people problems, but my local guitar store has really cheap ones.
I just use whatever I find.
As long as it's not too small, or too big, I'll use.
I have a few cheap ones that have lasted forever, and still work strongly.
I find people who swear by a certain pick brand to be stupid IMO.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
i like these pink dunlop turtle picks their just the right thickness without bending but not to thick
Dunlop Nylon Jazz III.
Suck when you've never played one, but once you're used to it, you're about 200% more accurate, 100% faster and 300% happier.
Never break, good for Sweeping, shredding, riffing, pretty much everything!
I use Rotosound ones.

I find them to be comfortable. I used to use metal ones, but they're expensive, and I lost them more than other ones, for some reason.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by RazorbackRR1
i like these pink dunlop turtle picks their just the right thickness without bending but not to thick

oh lordy they're awsome! I just got myself a new Dunlop Tortex 0.73mm Mini pick
Its awsome!
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
lol i'm using what Lord Pino is using...it's damn good, honestly!! One more thing he didn't point out is that it's really tiny which makes it much easier to pick at will.
Quote by LordPino
Dunlop Nylon Jazz III.
Suck when you've never played one, but once you're used to it, you're about 200% more accurate, 100% faster and 300% happier.

Last for ages compared to other picks as well!
get dunpol pick, i use 0.88mm for acoustic and 1.00mm for my electric. im not suggesting you use those but try them out, defenely get dunpol and just buy afew to see what you like
Dunlop Tortex, the blue ones (around 1mm). They last me a good month, sometimes longer when playing every day for a few hours.
Definitely look into Dunlop. I'm always hearing about Jazz III picks all over the internet, and I always use Dunlop Gator Grips or Planet Waves Joe Satriani signature picks.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Quote by michal23
Dunlop Tortex, the blue ones (around 1mm). They last me a good month, sometimes longer when playing every day for a few hours.

I play atleast 3 hours a day, every day, and I've had my Dunlop Jazz III's for 6 months, none broke
Quote by LordPino
I play atleast 3 hours a day, every day, and I've had my Dunlop Jazz III's for 6 months, none broke

Mine don't break, they just wear away and give a horrible scratching sound against the strings.

Still
My fingers.
Right now I use jazz III, I always saw fast guys (like m. batio) using them but the things felt like holding a penny.

I told myself to try playing with them for a few days and nothing else to see if I could get used to them and I'm at the point where when I switch back to a "full-sized" pick it feels like a pancake, but to be honest I haven't gotten a lot faster with the jazzes. I'll give it a few more weeks trying them.

Before this I used .96mm to 1.14mm Gator Grips and at this point im probably still a twitch faster and smoother with those.

Gator Grips are a tad smaller than say tortex and fenders and most picks so they still feel very, very, very good but jazz III and gators are the biggest i feel comfy with now. Glad I tried smaller picks in the first place.

For all the guys who play tortex picks i really advise trying out a gator grip. Go the closest to the thickness of your favorite tortex without going any thinner (gators seem a tiny bit softer), or maybe .10 mm thicker would be perfect. They have the same feel but a more fast and compact shape. Sort of have the "ears" clipped or a haircut on top compared with a tortex.

For acoustic strumming depending on the sound i want I'll go as thin as .58 gators.

heres a bad photo i snapped to show the difference in sizes of the three...

left is a .71mm tortex, middle is a .96mm gator grip, right is jazz III

Last edited by neoclassical at Oct 11, 2008,
Another interesting pick ive tried were "snarling dog brains" or something like that if nobodys mentioned them yet. They had the most grippy surface ive tried, little nylonish spikes that felt like skateboard griptape and never ever came loose from your fingers.

One thing I really didnt like was they had what they called "memory tips" which warp very easily into a crooked slant if you play hard.

An excellent choice for guys who play live and have trouble with grip on a stage but not the greatest long term practice pick.
Though its unorthodox i have my reasons - I use a Brass Thumbpick as though it were a regular pick. Its a Dr. Sherpa 0.15, i think i need to get a new one though, because i've kind of worn my current one out, its very twisted from heavy use or downstrokes which makes it catch on the strings awkwardly for upstrokes.

I'm trying to get the most pronounced pick attack i can find, though.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I use these dunlop ones I only bought because they were pink.

However I'd like to invest in these picks my old band used to use. They have rubber grips on them so they don't fly out of your hand as much. I think they're called "dava" or something.
go to margaritaville in key west. buy jimmy buffet picks. i've been using the same pick for 3yrs, and its rad.
Quote by Blompcube
Though its unorthodox i have my reasons - I use a Brass Thumbpick as though it were a regular pick. Its a Dr. Sherpa 0.15, i think i need to get a new one though, because i've kind of worn my current one out, its very twisted from heavy use or downstrokes which makes it catch on the strings awkwardly for upstrokes.

I'm trying to get the most pronounced pick attack i can find, though.

Have you tried Nylon thumb picks? Heavy as hell, and very aggressive sounding without the brashness of brass.
My main pick right now is the orange Dunlop Tortex (0.60 mm). But I also use yellow Tortex (0.73 mm) and black Jazz III's. And this week I tried the 0.96 mm Gator Grips; I'll give them a shot, they felt pretty nice.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by imgooley
Have you tried Nylon thumb picks? Heavy as hell, and very aggressive sounding without the brashness of brass.

i have 2 white dunlops, if thats what you mean. I also have an un-branded transparent thing which i haven't used very much.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by LordPino
Dunlop Nylon Jazz III.

i used to use these, then i got really sick of them and moved onto Ibanez Grip Wizards.

I recently switched to Dunlop Ultex 1mm picks and they are brilliant, far better than any other pick ive ever used in my 5 years of playing, the smooth action of the Jazz III's for lead and much more suitable for rhythm playing IMO
Well, for acoustic I use Fender Mediums, though I may change that, since they sometimes break. For Electric, I use 1.5 mm Dunlop Gator Grips.
Quote by Diamond Dave
i used to use these, then i got really sick of them and moved onto Ibanez Grip Wizards.

I recently switched to Dunlop Ultex 1mm picks and they are brilliant, far better than any other pick ive ever used in my 5 years of playing, the smooth action of the Jazz III's for lead and much more suitable for rhythm playing IMO

I use Ultex Jazz IIIs. Great for rhythm AND lead, and I like 'em better than the nylons - the nylons I tried just didn't feel too right, and one of them even broke at the tip!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I prefer heavy picks as they have no reaction from the string so you know exactly where the tip is
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
1.14 mm Dunlop Gator Grip.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
i used to have that same problem TS, every pick i tried i hated, so then i learned to fingerpick, and do that almost exclusively.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
i used to have that same problem TS, every pick i tried i hated, so then i learned to fingerpick, and do that almost exclusively.

You can't beat Jazz IIIs.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
the green dunlop tortex ones.

these really cheap fender ones with a palm tree on them(my fav)

ibanez picks

pretty much anything medium or a lighter heavy
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
V-Picks

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

tortex.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I use dunlop tortex picks 0.60mm thick. great picks, great grip and last long.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by chumpzilla
go to margaritaville in key west. buy jimmy buffet picks. i've been using the same pick for 3yrs, and its rad.

NOOOOO I WAS THERE LIKE A MONTH AGO!!!!!!!!!
From popular reason, I am going to look in Dunlop tortex, they sound pretty good.
Page 1 of 2