So, i've been looking at acoustic basses for a long time and i've looked everywhere within reasonable distance [an hours drive or a bit over] and i've only come up with one acoustic bass which is the Greg Bennet signature acoustic bass. Problem is, it's a sammick, which i havn't heard many great things about, and i thought it would be louder? I doubt anyone would be able to hear it from the other side of the room. So, question one: Can i reaplace the strings with plastic strings or a higher guage to make them louder?

Also, here are the specs
Quilt maple top back and sides
scalloped braces
offset dot fret markers
8 ply white binding
Grover? tuners
Single Venetian cutaway
quilt maple hollow body
bound quilt maple top
bound mahogany set neck
rosewood fingerboard
die cast tuners
rosewood bridge
Fishman preamp/EQ system

I'm not the most knowledgeable on what specs are considered good and that so i'm asking someone to do some nitpicking and tell me whether if i should get it, if it's worth it and what i could potentially do to make it better if i bought it.

Another thing, i've heard a bit about olympia acoustics and another brand that had thunder in the name But as far as i know we don't have them down in aus, do they ship to australia?
Pickcha.

EDIT: When i played it, it had a pretty good tone acoustically but again, the loudness of it wasn't as good as i thought although it felt pretty good in my hands and the neck felt really good.
Last edited by Bass First at Oct 11, 2008,
whatever floats your boat. honestly i cant stand the idea of an artist model, theyre always overpriced.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Well, i've haggled down to 600 AUD but it has to be before christmas or the offers up.

Also, i forgot to add if anyone in melbourne knows of any shops selling acoustic basses, pm me or post in here.
www.basscentre.com.au

its probs the best bass store in the world
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
you could go there and pay cash?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Oh, lol, i thought it was one of those internet mail order sites from the us.

Thanks for that. But most of them are either 34" or fretless and i'm not interested in either. Althought the Cort sjb5 looks promising.
To ease your mind a bit, TS, it's only Samick's beginner instruments that get bad things said about them...and even then they're about on par with squier's starter stuff. The higher level stuff is actually very good.

Mine (an AB-2 acoustic bass) is very warm for an acoustic, though it could possibly use a better preamp, but it's the lowest of their acoustic models and sounds great for what it is. Very big sounding.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
To ease your mind a bit, TS, it's only Samick's beginner instruments that get bad things said about them...and even then they're about on par with squier's starter stuff. The higher level stuff is actually very good.

Mine (an AB-2 acoustic bass) is very warm for an acoustic, though it could possibly use a better preamp, but it's the lowest of their acoustic models and sounds great for what it is. Very big sounding.

What strings do you have on it? Some of my friends said i could replace the steel strings with nylon or plastic to make it all sound louder.
I've still got the stockers on it...the tone doesn't change as much as you'd think with dead strings though.

I dunno about changing the type of string, all I've ever played with is the bronze ones.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
I've still got the stockers on it...the tone doesn't change as much as you'd think with dead strings though.

I dunno about changing the type of string, all I've ever played with is the bronze ones.

Do you have a link to your Acoustic? I wanna check it out.
The SA13 looks pretty good but it's a mahogany body so i reckon that'd sound weird on an acoustic bass. Thanks for that, i might follow through with this and go buy it in a few months. Once i get the money.
Quote by Bass First
Can i reaplace the strings with plastic strings or a higher guage to make them louder?

Also, here are the specs
Quilt maple top back and sides
scalloped braces
offset dot fret markers
8 ply white binding
Grover? tuners
Single Venetian cutaway
quilt maple hollow body
bound quilt maple top
bound mahogany set neck
rosewood fingerboard
die cast tuners
rosewood bridge
Fishman preamp/EQ system

hoping someone could do some nitpicking and tell me what're good and bad about these specs.

Questions are still up. Oh yeah, mutant does yours sound good amplified?