Page 1 of 2
I've been playing for 3 years in Feb.

I see people playing their guitar above waist height all the time, and when they ask to play mine, they always alter the strap really short and say I play way too low,
They always say they can't understand how I play it so low (I take the buckle down to its lowest)
I play down there without any hassle, and i'm only 15, so my hands ain't exactly big.

I play about this low...

So am I a minority?
Do I play too low?

I'll upload of picture of me when I find one..

How low do you play?
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Generally, whatever feels best for you is the way to go. But for most people, playing the guitar at belly height is optimal, because having it hung low will result in your wrists having to twist a lot, which can be hurtful.
i play mine at my knees. sometimes.

STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
i used to play that low but it felt better and easier to play when higher, just do whats natural or helps you play better.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
I use to play below waist, but then I started getting into shred and as TheQuailman said about having to twist, and the pain that comes along.
Quote by RocknRollRay
If you make a clone of yourself, then have sex with yourself,

Is it incest or masturbation?
Quote by wtf290
It's not incest, but it's not masturbation.
It'd be closer to incest than masturbation, but I don't think there's a word for it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
I usually play with the center of the guitar around my crotch.

If it's too low it hurts my wrists and I can't play as well.
I can't see the picture.

But anyways, play where you feel most comfortable. There's no reason you shouldn't play it low, as long as it doesn't affect your technique, or causes pain in your wrists/forearm/shoulder.
i think the hardest technique to execute when having the guitar strapped really low is palm muting.

Liek Dis?
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
I used to play really low, until I shoved it up, to pretend I was from a bad 60s pop group.

I put a bit lower than that, and it was great. It's not Tom Morello high, but like, just under of the ribs.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
People usually stop hanging their guitars low when they fall out of the 'look at me! I'm TR00 P0NX!' stage. Then, they realize they play better with the guitar at the belt buckle and higher.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
sometimes when i'm playing shred i too keep it all the way down just cause then i dont have to bend my arm at an angle to PM but when im playing like Kiss and AC/DC then its at the belt buckle
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
I'm shreding all the time so I keep it pretty high, not to high though, cause that just hurts my hand.
*PROFILE NOT IN USE*
I keep it Morello high, or lower. More comfortable for me, since learned the basics on Guitar Hero. :P
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Playing low would probably make u slouch and hurt your wrists and back, especially with a LP. So Yeah, i play at my waist level.
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
ayye i sometimes have it at its lowest, it looks rock n roll, but its not all that practical
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by Wigert

Liek Dis?

Finger picking bass is a bit different to shed guitar though
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by mightmuffin
You learned the basics of guitar hero!!!? Thats just frigin retarded :stickpoke

lol I worded it wrong. I meant I learned the basics of guitar through Guitar Hero. XD

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
My strat is down to my knees, my gretsch is up around my belt area. But this is just because I don't play leads on my strat like ever, and if I do, I make one of the trumpet players iin my band kneel down and I put my foot up on his knee and play my guitar like I'm sitting.

Itz cuz eyem tr00 p0nx.

But seriosuly, it's whatever is comfortable to you.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by Deep*Kick
Finger picking bass is a bit different to shed guitar though

Even then, I keep both my guitar and my bass high up. A bit too high me thinks...
Quote by Snake™
lol I worded it wrong. I meant I learned the basics of guitar through Guitar Hero. XD

wat
Quote by EJD
wat

Amazing how people cannot understand simplicity.

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate

I use all i can on my strap.

EDIT: Hmm, my geetar needs a polish.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
^ about the same height as me
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by Snake™
Amazing how people cannot understand simplicity.

It's amazing how people think they can actualy learn anything about guitar from guitar hero.

Regardless to what you might think, you didn't learn the basics of guitar on GH, you learned the basics of clicking a few buttons and flipping a switch.

Do you even own an actual guitar?
(if's it's missing strings and out of tune stuck in your closet for months, that doesn't count)
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by HLrocker
It's amazing how people think they can actualy learn anything about guitar from guitar hero.

Regardless to what you might think, you didn't learn the basics of guitar on GH, you learned the basics of clicking a few buttons and flipping a switch.

Do you even own an actual guitar?
(if's it's missing strings and out of tune stuck in your closet for months, that doesn't count)

You know, hating on Guitar Hero is stupid. I see no point in hating a video game much less hating on people who are actually inspired to pick up a guitar from it.

Just because he plays Guitar Hero doesn't make him any less of a guitar player then you or me.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I play with my guitar at arms' length. The tip of the upper horn is about an inch or so above my hip bone. I find it more comfortable this way because a) heavy guitars seem lighter the lower you have them, and b) my picking arm gets sore if I have to keep my elbow bent to play.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You know, hating on Guitar Hero is stupid. I see no point in hating a video game much less hating on people who are actually inspired to pick up a guitar from it.

Just because he plays Guitar Hero doesn't make him any less of a guitar player then you or me.

He didn't say he hated guitar hero, he was pointing out that the guy didn't learn the basics of guitar from Guitar Hero, because he didn't. You learn the basics of guitar from guitar.
for me, this is hiked up. (it looks lower than it feels because of how big the guitar is)
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by Toniofalcon
He didn't say he hated guitar hero, he was pointing out that the guy didn't learn the basics of guitar from Guitar Hero, because he didn't. You learn the basics of guitar from guitar.

Not necessarily. You can learn the basics from Guitar Hero. While it's not exact, it introduces the idea of fretting notes and picking patterns/strumming.

He may not have learned how to actually play from Guitar Hero, but he can get the jist of the idea.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I've actually changed my height depending on the guitar I was playing. For my ibanez rg, i have it as high as my strap will go, which is sitting flat on my stomach, slightly lower than it is when sitting on my knee. I find it lets me play better because i don't have to adjust to much to changes in the feel of how i play, and when i used to have it lower, the guitar used to bounce around too much and I often would miss or stuff up notes.

Although having said that, on a friend's guitar, i played with it right about my waist level.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
ive got an iceman and even though i like playing really high it can get pretty uncomfortable from the weight of it... so usually i play a little above the waist

its all about comfort, or if you wanna look P0nx lmfao ^^

EDIT: and a lot of metal shredders play with the straps high, not just Tom Morello
If I'm playing rythymn, usually I'm more comfortable with playing it low, but if I'm doing any sort of fast leads, then forget it, I usually put it up to around low-belly, buckle height.
I never seem to be able to play right with it too low, feels weird and I cant palm mute lol so, if I look in the mirror while I'm playing (don't lie, you all do it! lol) it looks kinda weird....but its comfy, not too high, but no low enough to be cool lol!
I wear mine like adam d.

Not really lol, I wear mine slightly lower than belly height.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

I don't believe I ever said I hated Guitar Hero, or people who play it...I actualy play it myself from time to time.

And I don't care what you or anyone says, you just can't learn anything about guitar from guitar hero. Just becuase the control is shaped like a guitar, doesn't mean shit. Clicking a few buttons on a plastic guitar isn't going to teach you to fret, it's going to teach you to press buttons.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Page 1 of 2