Hey everyone, I was hoping I could get some advice about what I should be looking for in an electric guitar, or really what will satisfy my needs.

I currently only have an acoustic and have wanted to move into electric for a while. I have a pretty tight budget so I cant afford anything crazy. I guess the thing I am most confused about are the pickups that come on a guitar, there was this one guitar at a local music shop that had both electric and also an acoustic sounding pickup which I thought was really cool, would anybody recommend that kind of guitar?

Just an idea as to what type of music I want to play, I like to play songs from Muse, The Clash, Tragically Hip, Jeff Buckley, things like that. So I think I may be looking for pickups with a cleaner sound, one with some bite, compared to the humbucker???

Sorry if my post seems a little unclear, I am a complete newb when it comes to electrics, just any help would be nice so I dont go out and buy something I wont like.

Thanks!
Joe Strummer played a Tele, and Matt Bellamy plays a Manson...

I dunno what you could do, but probably look into an H/H Tele.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i haven't actually tried any hybrids (both magnetic/electric and piezo/acoustic pickups), so i'm not much help there...

what's your budget, what country are you in (affects prices), and do you currently have an amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Im lookin to only spend like $500 max in Canada. Or I could run over to the States to Guitar Centre cause I heard they can be cheaper there. I dont have an amp yet, but I will be picking one up when I get a guitar. What kind of characteristics should I be looking for in an amp, I just want like a personal amp, nothing too powerful, not like I am playing shows or anything.

Thanks!
Quote by serdy
Im lookin to only spend like $500 max in Canada. Or I could run over to the States to Guitar Centre cause I heard they can be cheaper there. I dont have an amp yet, but I will be picking one up when I get a guitar. What kind of characteristics should I be looking for in an amp, I just want like a personal amp, nothing too powerful, not like I am playing shows or anything.

Thanks!

if you're only practicing, it's hard to do better than a roland microcube, they're around £65 here in the UK, i think they're maybe $130 in the USA. it has amp models, which means it mimics the sounds of various classic amps like vintage fenders, voxes, marshalls, and more modern mesas. Definitely a good idea for getting a wide range of tones for not too much money. Also, make sure you avoid the cube 15 and 20, as they don't have those amp models- if you have a bit more cash, you could consider the cube 30 (which does have the amp models, and a bigger speaker and more wattage so will sound a bit "bigger"), but if you can't stretch to the cube 30, make sure you buy the microcube and not the 15 or 20, if you ask me, the 15 and 20 are inferior, even though they cost more money. Don't fall into the trap that because they have a higher wattage and are more expensive that they're better.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp?sku=481169
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-30X-Amp-with-COSM?sku=487032

the vox da5 is a similar idea to the microcube, but I haven't been able to try it yet, unfortunately. Would be worth considering too, if you can try one. the vox ad15vt would be worth considering if you can stretch a little- i have tried it, i think.; The general consensus (with which I'd agree) seems to be that the cubes are better for more modern, heavier music (like metal) while the voxes are better for older music like blues and classic rock.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-DA5-Portable-Amplifier-?sku=482065
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD15VT-15W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481958

$500 in Canada might get you a Godin, which are nice guitars which are also made in your country. A freeway classic would be worth considering- it has a humbucker in the neck and bridge positions, with a single coil in the middle, which will give you access to quite a wide range of tones.

I'm struggling to find a link to the freeway on any of the USA stores which i know about, but from memory it's around $475-$500, i *think*. here's a link to the godin website for this guitar: http://www.godinguitars.com/godinfreewayclassicp.htm

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Godin-Exit-22-Electric-Guitar?sku=511922 this one would also be worth trying, it has the same pickup setup as the pacifica i mention below, i haven't been able to try it though.

Alternatively, a Yamaha Pacifica 112 (or a higher model, like 412 or 812 if you can afford it- just don't go below the 112 model) is similar except it has a bridge humbucker and 2 single coils, again for a wide range of tones... humbuckers sound a bit fatter and have more power which is good for overdrive/distortion/heavier music, while single coils sound a bit thinner and have more sparkle, which is good for cleans.

Again, struggling to find a link... from memory, the pacifica 112v is $200, and the other higher models will be a bit more expensive... the 612 may even be over $500. Here's a link to the yamaha website: http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/pacifica/0,,CTID%25253D600003,00.html

An MIM (Made In Mexico) Fender Standard Fat Stratocaster would also be worth considering, it has the same pickup layout as the pacifica. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516039

Basically when you're starting out it's a good idea to get something which is as versatile as possible, for both guitar and amp, and those I listed would achieve that. There are probably a bunch of other options too. both jeff buckley and the clash used a telecaster a lot, so one of those may be worth considering- the only problem being that it could be argued that a telecaster is less versatile than those guitars I listed with a mixture of pickups. a tele will always sound like a tele, which is awesome if you have several guitars, but it's perhaps not so good if you only have one (unless the only tones you need are tele tones, of course!)...

i probably gave you more questions than answers there, sorry...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
grr, that pacifica link doesn't have the 412 and 612- maybe they aren't available in the USA? EDIT: the other thing I'd say is, although I said a telecaster might not be a great idea, what you said in your first post about a "cleaner sound, with some bite" more or less describes a telecaster...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey thanks everyone, especially Dave_Mc, a really good start there and im gonna look into what you said!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?