It's basically the "X-factor" guitar, yes.. X factor as in from the ITV program

I only bought it because I liked the shape, and realised very soon after it was a pretty poor guitar, performance wise. Here it is anyway.

I really ove the way it looks, but I think it needs a decent set of strings.

Another issue is the material its made from. I think the wood isn't the best quality, it's pretty light, guite a bit lighter than my epiphone and I know the type of wood makes a bit of difference. Any suggestions on bits and pieces which could be done?

EDIT: Sorry if anyones seen the wrong pic, the correct ones now up
Last edited by Reece_Spurs at Oct 11, 2008,
Definately at least get it set up, which should help with action and playability. After that, if you like how it plays, replace the electronics and hardware maybe so itll sound better. Its probably made of Basswood, which is a pretty light wood, but not a bad wood. Your Epi is probably made of Mahogany, which is super-heavy. So weight has nothing to do with wood quality i think.
No offense, but that thing is hideous.
Why can’t a heterosexual guy tell a heterosexual guy that he thinks his booty is fly?

Quote by Curious Jeff
These posts are too long. Just do some drugs
Definately at least get it set up, which should help with action and playability. After that, if you like how it plays, replace the electronics and hardware maybe so itll sound better. Its probably made of Basswood, which is a pretty light wood, but not a bad wood. Your Epi is probably made of Mahogany, which is super-heavy. So weight has nothing to do with wood quality i think.

Cheers for that info, i'm no expert on wood but that would certainly explain the difference in weight! I'll definately look to get a few bits upgraded because as it is now, it's pretty much as standard as they get, but thatnks for the info.

Teppe - Thanks I suppose people have there own opinion on shapes/styles, IMO I hate the look of bright coloured strats.
It's an interesting shape,
i'd say slap some new pups in'er and see how it sounds!
------

Shwiggity.
Thanks deftones, i mean it's quite a metal - ish shape so its to peoples preference, but it just so happens that I love the shape

Also I don't mean to sound like a noob but by pups do you mean the humbuckers/coils?

I havn't quite come to terms with the internet lingo yet
A pro set-up will definitely do wonders for any guitar. A fret dress might also help. Through a nice tube amp, even an inexpensive guitar will sound nice. Once the playability has been improved, I'd consider replacing the pots and switch if they're noisy/cheap.

I'm not too crazy about the paint job so I'd refinish it if it were mine.

Thanks for the advice guys its what I needed but a bit of translation would do wonders pups = humbuckers/coils? Pots =?

Sorry i'm a but new to the guitar parts thing

Also I like the shape of the guitar but I agree that a new paint job would also be good.
pups=pickups, the humbuckers

pots are the physical unit below the knobs, the metal shaft you see if you take off the knob, it short for potentiometer, and they're cheap and pretty easy to replace
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
Quote by Nihil
pups=pickups, the humbuckers

pots are the physical unit below the knobs, the metal shaft you see if you take off the knob, it short for potentiometer, and they're cheap and pretty easy to replace

Thanks for the info, but I don't mean to be a knob again but what are the knobs exactly? Tuning pegs?
Quote by n to the k
what were you thinking?

i think you should do it all up and change the shape IMO

Well at the time i bought the guitar I didn't have too much knowledge about guitars and liked the shape which is why i bought it.
Quote by Reece_Spurs
Thanks for the info, but I don't mean to be a knob again but what are the knobs exactly? Tuning pegs?

the things you turn for volume , or tone
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
the things you turn for volume , or tone

Ahh right I see, cheers, does that mean changing the appearance of them or changing the actual electronics?