Page 1 of 3
Quote by Acquiescence

That's the feeling I get about him. I mean god, he's been playing for a solid couple of decades, so you'd think he would be a lot better then he lets on.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
You know, Rivers was in a Power/Prog-metal band called Avant Garde right? He was the lead guitarist, he played some nice riffs.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Mike Campbell (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers).
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Guitar wise?

definitely Zakk Wylde. lol.

but seriously, i think Pete townshend hold back a lot. his solos are always very short and simple. but he's like a madman onstage, physically.

john mayer as well. he doesn't really go crazy with solos.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Acquiescence

100 percent agree with Rivers Cuomo. Some of the shit he plays is quite lovely and leaves me feeling like he could do much better if he felt like it.

Pretty killer guitar tone too, I dig his leads on Perfect Situation.

The tone too

Probably a Fuzz pedal, wah, and compressor in front of a cranked Marshall of some sort.

EDIT: I just found a vid of Avant Garde, Rivers busts out some shreddy stuff at like 4 minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z687XnigaLs

It's pretty weird listening to it, and then putting in the Blue Album.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Oct 11, 2008,
Quote by Jhachey22
Guitar wise?

definitely Zakk Wylde. lol.

but seriously, i think Pete townshend hold back a lot. his solos are always very short and simple. but he's like a madman onstage, physically.

john mayer as well. he doesn't really go crazy with solos.

He does a bit, nowadays.
David Gilmour.He just never shows off with his solos
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this.
Santana

Underneath it all, you know he's a hell of a shredder.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Its great to see Rivers was mentioned right away. I really don't get what has happened to that band. There used to always be some nice solos in every song, and this new album has no solos and the only cool guitar riff was played by Patrick Wilson, the drummer.

Blue Album and Pinkerton were absolutely brilliant lyrically and musically. Green album could have been 100x better if it was produced better and if it had real solos instead of the Melody. Malidroit had some cool riffs, when I heard it I thought Rivers was going back to his metal roots.

Then Make Believe was total ****ing garbage. The riff into We Are All on Drugs is cool, written by the rhythm guitarist, Brian Bell but the rest of that album sucked.

The new album has a few cool songs. The Greatest Man that Ever Lived is good but the spoken word part kills it. It fits them though, a goofy nerdy take on an old Shaker Hymn played in a few different styles. Ms Sweeny is real good too. But the rest is crap. I heard they were having trouble with their label before, maybe they are just making crap real quick to get out of contract? Although Make Believe sorta was more commercially succesful than any other album, which sucks cause now they are going to be pushed to make more crap.

Check out the solo about 2 minutes in in Tired of Sex:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZKKWCdlauA
In The Garage has a cool solo. Rivers was on the ground playing it when I saw them live:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMcrbWC6PQY
Only In Dreams has a cool climatic dual of sorts at the end:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knSvvoMkUG0&feature=related
Alex Lifeson now holds back solo wise 90% of the time, then the other 10% he melts your face.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I'd have to go with Mayer.. I like that he never runs to the shred mill everytime he tries to improvise a solo.. I like how he takes his time with it and puts so much feel and melody into his soloing..

Shred Mill.. hmm.. oh well..
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
Quote by RichieKotzen
Randy Rhoads hold back a lot. Its probably because hes dead but hes stilling holding back.

I don't think Randy Rhoads held back so much as he didn't really get the time to demonstrate what he was capable of. He really only cut 2 albums with Ozzy and probably thought that he had a couple of more albums to show what he could do before he would quit the band. Even still, he probably wouldn't unload because Randy wasn't all about 'who's guitar penis is bigger', he was a melody guy through and through.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I don't think Randy Rhoads held back so much as he didn't really get the time to demonstrate what he was capable of. He really only cut 2 albums with Ozzy and probably thought that he had a couple of more albums to show what he could do before he would quit the band. Even still, he probably wouldn't unload because Randy wasn't all about 'who's guitar penis is bigger', he was a melody guy through and through.

Thats what im saying. Imagine a Rhoads solo album. Whould have been amazing.
Quote by bofmar
David Gilmour.He just never shows off with his solos

Thats his style though, he's always like that solo or with Pink Floyd. He's not a very technical player but melodic. So no I wouldn't say he's holding back, he's in his element.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by cjpiquette
Kurt Cobain...

...jk

Ironicly, he actually was. He was a much better guitarist, but he played the way he did cause he wanted to. He was really into, and could play, old 80's metal, and stuff likes the cars and shit, queen.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by zekk
Ironicly, he actually was. He was a much better guitarist, but he played the way he did cause he wanted to. He was really into, and could play, old 80's metal, and stuff likes the cars and shit, queen.

Those were just his influences and what he liked. There's no proof that he could actually play rhe stuff.

I consider him a great composer and song writer but he's a hack guitar player.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
actually Kurts guitar playing is not that bad. like that 16th-note lick in love buzz, its not that easy to play. but hes still not a shredder ^^

and the fact that rivers can shred really impressed, although there are a few songs in which his abilities did come through a bit like dope nose
Don Anderson from Agalloch/Sculptured.

Seriously.
Quote by plucky duck
arnt scandinavians all albino or am i mistaken? apologies if i am

Quote by cocodrilo83
logic is not always right
EVH.. jk

but probably brad whitford from aerosmith or malcom young
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
Quote by Acquiescence

Am i the only one here who find that billy corgan video just awful? Like REALLY awful? Its off scale, its widly widly widly, its just random fretboard wanking, and not even well done.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

I consider him a great composer and song writer but he's a hack guitar player.

I agree. He was a great musical mind, but his hands werent very capable.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
def. malcom young, angus says hes better but just shy. (it thats true and not just a compliment imagine how awesome malcom would be.)
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
Quote by guitarbite.fire
def. malcom young, angus says hes better but just shy. (it thats true and not just a compliment imagine how awesome malcom would be.)

+1
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by LP_CL
Am i the only one here who find that billy corgan video just awful? Like REALLY awful? Its off scale, its widly widly widly, its just random fretboard wanking, and not even well done.

Still better than having him sing...
Yeah agree on Malcolm young and Joe Trohman... I reckon joe trohmans a much better guitarist than his band allows him to be
Richie Sambora. He is quite a killer guitarist but knows when its his place to show it
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
agree with malcolm young. ive read in an interview somewhere that he could play any of angus' solos easily, but he didnt want to hurt his drinking hand
NOPE
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

No, in guitar world magazine i read an article about him with ozzy. What i got from that was that the band was really falling apart when randy died, and after the tour they were on that randy wanted to go study classical guitar at a university.
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Quote by Slash_metal
Yeah agree on Malcolm young and Joe Trohman... I reckon joe trohmans a much better guitarist than his band allows him to be

also the guy with the big curly hair in mcr, i 4get his name, but he is pretty good.
Pete Townshend on the other hand, his true talent lied in his rythmn playing. skill isnt just lead abilities.
Quote by LP_CL

yeh that sounded awful, no skills or melody or anything really. wanking was a good description for it
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Michael Zakarin - The Bravery
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by Nakon14
agree with malcolm young. ive read in an interview somewhere that he could play any of angus' solos easily, but he didnt want to hurt his drinking hand

From what I've heard, Malcolm writes the solos, and Angus just plays them. I remember a quote from Angus saying the riff from back in black was written by Malcolm, and he still can't play it properly, the way Malcolm does, and its sounds so much better.
Page 1 of 3