So before I go into that, in case anyone was wondering about my interview of Richard Hell, it went pretty well. He stuck to a strict ten minute time limit, haha, but he answered a good number of questions really in depth, so it was pretty cool, and I definitely had enough to write my paper with. So woohoo! I'll post that sometime soon. Maybe in the next zine??

Anyways, as quoted from Richard Hell's site:
Also, believe it or not, I’m in the studio. It’s an intense project that we’ll get to describing here soon, but I’m loving it, and it includes the guitar players Marc Ribot, Bill Frisell, and Ivan Julian, and my singing and writing, and will result in an album.

Who else is excited beyond words about this??
DOWN&OUT
Good news to hear.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Marc Ribot is boss.

I think he's even worked with Quine before. At least the both did work on Rain Dogs.

But I'm always skeptical about inactive artists just deciding to up and record again.

When your previous stuff is revered and built up with thirty or so years of hindsight and nostalgia it becomes very hard to put out something satisfying.

I almost hope it sounds nothing like the voidoids. But I'm definitely interested. And theres pretty much nothing he can do to tarnish his previous awesomeness.
I'd like to say that I don't think it's possible for a person like Richard Hell to ruin his reputation. It just seems so unfathomable.

Then the Germs reunited with a TV pretty-boy and basically proved to me that nothing is impossible.

So Richard Hell, I say that I have faith in you. My faith is strong, but not unwavering.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
My faith is made stronger by the fact that his last project, the Dim Stars, was great. Like you axe, I place my faith in him.
DOWN&OUT
orgasm
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
That is awesome.

I saw richard hell a few weeks ago in a program about new york music. I think it was an oldie though, on repeat.

*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by BrianApocalypse
That is awesome.

I saw richard hell a few weeks ago in a program about new york music. I think it was an oldie though, on repeat.

I've seen that! I always love seeing him. He's hilarious looking, with his long thinning hair and unfashionable clothing. What a great (read: creepy) man!
DOWN&OUT
I'm afraid I can't say anything that hasn't already been said.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
whoah
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
You should prolly see a doctor then.

I suppose you could ask the pit for help too.

That seems popular with sick folk.
Quote by RiotRiotUpstart
Did you do the interview in person?

No. Even if he wanted to, I have no idea how I'd go to New York, which is such a drag. He's super nice though, and pretty funny in an asshole sort of way. I still have to send him a copy of my paper...
DOWN&OUT
Quote by Jett Diamond
No. Even if he wanted to, I have no idea how I'd go to New York, which is such a drag. He's super nice though, and pretty funny in an asshole sort of way. I still have to send him a copy of my paper...
Send us a copy too, we wanna know.
Quote by Jett Diamond
Should I hold out for another forum zine, or has that idea died off

If it's going to be in the zine, then the zine had better be soon. Otherwise POST IT NOW.
Quote by werty22
If it's going to be in the zine, then the zine had better be soon. Otherwise POST IT NOW.

Yeah, unless the zine is coming out in the next week, post that shit.
Naw, it's not long enough, and it doesn't deal with music at all. I'm gonna post it / the article up as a blog, and I'll edit this post with the link.

EDIT: though maybe when I e-mail him the article, I could ask him if he'd be interested in expanding the interview for a website...hm. I may do that.

EDIT 2: blog! I prefaced it with a bit of background on the situation and a copy of the article I wrote. Interview is at the bottom if you feel like just skipping to it, but it'd make more sense if you didn't. I didn't ask him about music, it was an interview about his life as a poet.
DOWN&OUT
Last edited by Jett Diamond at Oct 13, 2008,
Interesting read
interview was a bit...abrupt. Wish there was a little more to it, but its awesome you got it at all.

congrats
"Time’s up! Sorry."

That struck me as really funny

I'd be more interested in that if I had ever actually read anything by him

Jack my swag
Very cool interview

If I wanna read some stuff by him where should I start?
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by gopherthegreat
"Time’s up! Sorry."

That struck me as really funny

I'd be more interested in that if I had ever actually read anything by him

Yeah it was strange cause my e-mail correspondence with him was first message, super positive, second, super negative, third, super positive, and then I opened up the interview and I was like "woh he answered this stuff..." and then found that and just laughed my face off. What an awesome guy.

So yeah, the interview was short, but such an awesome chance, and I'm really just happy to have had it.

If you wanna start reading his stuff, Go Now is a good novel to start with. The book Hot and Cold is great too though, as it has all these essays, great poems, music reviews, lyrics, etc.

So in terms of fiction, check out Go Now, then Godlike, and if you can find it, the Voidoid (it's a bit pricey...), but Hot and Cold is also excellent, in different ways.
DOWN&OUT
AHEM

I just received my Richard Hell package and may I just say, OH BOY. I got the CD, vinyl (signed by him, baby), and a poster. Such a good deal.

Well anyways, the rerecorded version of Destiny Street is really good. He sounds older, but there's a bit of reflection, and it's very very cool to hear. The quality is a lot better and the two unreleased songs it came with (Smitten and Funhunt) are both awesome. I HIGHLY recommend it. Plus, the new artwork is awesome:

DOWN&OUT
Bill Frissel is incredible, i'm super excited

Quote by wilty00
Aren't you kind of scared walking around in the dark with a carniverous loon on the loose?