Page 1 of 2
Hey all my bday was monday and after banking $100 of my money I'm off to Guitar Center tomorrow. I play an Agile AL 2000 through a generic 5w ss practice amp. I'm getting a metal muff and that leaves $200 to spend, I was thinking of a Roland Microcube and maybe a wah . Also depends on whether or not a Ug'er gets back to me on a $40 chorus pedal I want badly (I'm not really in the market for one, but it was so cheap it got me interested and now I kinda want a chorus pedal ha)but if I see something I like I'll buy that instead of waiting around for it. So UG, any questions, comments, input, anything? If you have any suggestions just let me know

Edit: I play a lot of styles of music except country. I like to play Nirvana, U2, RHCP, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, some metal, and in short a lot
Last edited by Bentheemo at Oct 11, 2008,
Definitely don't buy the cube. Not that I have anything against he actual product, but there's really no reason for you to buy another crappy practice amp. Save some cash and in a couple months (or possibly even now) you'll be able to buy a pretty good used amp.

Basically, don't spend your money on effects and stuff that still won't sound good through your amp.
Do you play alot of metal? I'd put all your money together and get a classic 30 or maybe a crate v18 or v33, then get a bad monkey or metal muff later to push into into metal territory.

AMP> everything else, keep that in mind.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Thanks for the advice, I don't play a lot of metal, but I'd need something versatile if I were to get a new amp
used flextone.
they go 200 all the time.
i dont see anything else that will be better for the money.
not even a tube amp.
Quote by Toker420
You should get a good reverb or delay. Or buy an 8-ball.

what's an 8-ball? is it some kind of distortion pedal? i never heard of the company.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
one of those crate tube amps on sale, there under 200

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

^you really dont know what an eight-ball is.
and the crate thing, screw that the flextone is the better amp.
Quote by THEKID546
^you really dont know what an eight-ball is.
and the crate thing, screw that the flextone is the better amp.

are you serious? flextone? no.

the crate v-series is a good all tube amp for a very good price

its a good amp, theres a v-series thread check t out.

i guese if your ganna go that route all your ganna need is a good OD pedal.
OR you might want to think twice about a OD and buy two good speakers to replace the ones that come stock. warehouse anyone.
get the muff if u want but i would get crate v18 speaker replacement and an od
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
i wouldnt even get the muff, i would get an od like a bad monkey 50 bucks, and a replacment speaker like a vet 30 for 70 bucks

What about a chorus pedal? Its either a $40 Boss CH-1 I found or something else? What should I get if I can't get the CH-1?
Quote by Bentheemo
Hey all my bday was monday and after banking $100 of my money I'm off to Guitar Center tomorrow. I play an Agile AL 2000 through a generic 5w ss practice amp. I'm getting a metal muff and that leaves $200 to spend, I was thinking of a Roland Microcube and maybe a wah . Also depends on whether or not a Ug'er gets back to me on a $40 chorus pedal I want badly (I'm not really in the market for one, but it was so cheap it got me interested and now I kinda want a chorus pedal ha)but if I see something I like I'll buy that instead of waiting around for it. So UG, any questions, comments, input, anything? If you have any suggestions just let me know

Edit: I play a lot of styles of music except country. I like to play Nirvana, U2, RHCP, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, some metal, and in short a lot

If you go for the cube, you may not need the muff. Maybe go for a Vox instead
I think I'm going for a Crate V series amp and a v847a wah. Metal Muff with Top Boost too. I'm still open to any and all suggestions though
Last edited by Bentheemo at Oct 11, 2008,
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
get a cravte V18 off MF!!!!

That is the model I'm getting. Along with a v847a Wah. Anymore suggestions?
Quote by THEKID546
try out a digitech one, there more flexible than the boss ones.

ok. TS, try not to listen to this guy. he barely knows what he's talking about, from what i've noticed throughout his posts in this thread.

the Crate is a good amp. but since you're not doing heavy distortion, the metal muff isn't necessary.

a good OD, EQ, and speaker replacement would be a better idea, as mentioned before. but you can't get all of that with the money you have right now.

since MF has a lot of customers from all over the place, you'll need to buy this thing fast before someone else snags it.

i would say get the amp, OD and EQ, or replace the EQ for something else for now. but a EQ will be necessary in the future. well, i think every guitarist should have an EQ of sorts. but DON'T get the wah right now, or the metal muff. think logically about what you're going to get. try to get the best tone you possibly can right now. and then think about what you need to make it even better if you save up. you don't have alot of money, so spend it wisely. then come back and we'll help you with your questions when you have more cash.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by ugmung
ok. TS, try not to listen to this guy. he barely knows what he's talking about, from what i've noticed throughout his posts in this thread.

the Crate is a good amp. but since you're not doing heavy distortion, the metal muff isn't necessary.

a good OD, EQ, and speaker replacement would be a better idea, as mentioned before. but you can't get all of that with the money you have right now.

since MF has a lot of customers from all over the place, you'll need to buy this thing fast before someone else snags it.

i would say get the amp, OD and EQ, or replace the EQ for something else for now. but a EQ will be necessary in the future. well, i think every guitarist should have an EQ of sorts. but DON'T get the wah right now, or the metal muff. think logically about what you're going to get. try to get the best tone you possibly can right now. and then think about what you need to make it even better if you save up. you don't have a lot of money, so spend it wisely. then come back and we'll help you with your questions when you have more cash.

Oh okay thanks. Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here. I know it sounds stupid, but any idea on the chance of Guitar Center having the amp when I go tomorrow?

Edit: sigged woo hooo!
Last edited by Bentheemo at Oct 14, 2008,
If you get the V-18 a overdrive pedal is essential. Since you would've the rest on a Metal Muff, I would suggest a TS-9 or a Maxon OD-808. Now the V-18 will sound excellent
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
If you get the V-18 a overdrive pedal is essential. Since you would've the rest on a Metal Muff, I would suggest a TS-9 or a Maxon OD-808. Now the V-18 will sound excellent

I guess I misphrased my original post when I said,
I'm getting a metal muff and that leaves $200 to spend,
I meant I technically have a $300 so after that I'd have around $200. I intend to spend $150 on the V-18, and as for the $150 or $50 left idk yet. I do play enough metal/ hard rock to justify the purchase of the muff still, so I guess that $50 left, but I will think about an OD pedal instead, not sure yet. When I go tomorrow I will try a lot of things recommended here. Thanks for all the replies, I'm still open for advice on anything still
Quote by Bentheemo
Edit: I play a lot of styles of music except country, classical, jazz, blues, R&B, funk, disco, hip-hop, soul, motown, fusion, and well... basically anything written before the 60s. I like to play Nirvana, U2, RHCP, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, some metal, and in short a bunch of rock bands and very little else.

Fixed.

Sorry, but your listing of those bands as being from a wide range of styles just made me laugh.
I'd go for the Crate Amp. Its seems pretty good
Quote by Flying Couch
I approve of this thread.

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty
Best book ever, best thread ever.

Quote by batman187
I definitely approve of this.

Quote by meh!
Ordered the Crate amp. Any reccomendations on what I should do to improve my set up, like what type of speakers or mods for the V18, a metal muff or OD or what ever else? I do think the muff would be justifiable cause I do indulge in High gain applications every so often
Quote by Bentheemo
Ordered the Crate amp. Any reccomendations on what I should do to improve my set up, like what type of speakers or mods for the V18, a metal muff or OD or what ever else? I do think the muff would be justifiable cause I do indulge in High gain applications every so often

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Eminence-Red-Coat-The-Governor-12-Guitar-Speaker?sku=660044
TS9 OD sucka. You will enjoy that V18 even more
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by gtr_101
I recommend a Digitech Bad Monkey, 50 bucks. As for a speaker i recommend something from warehousespeakers. Depending on what you like i will rcommend the vet 30.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-Bad-Monkey-Tube-Overdrive-Pedal?sku=150831

http://warehousespeakers.com/proddetail.php?prod=veteran30_12

Or instead of a V30 clone, the Emi Redcoat above, or this

http://warehousespeakers.com/proddetail.php?prod=green25_12
Page 1 of 2