So im getting a new pickup this weekend, and its going to be either an EMG 85 or an 81, but I have no idea which one to choose. I will eventually get both im sure, but for now i can only afford one. Im replacing the pickup in my bridge

My equipment: Epiphone les Paul standard
spider III 75 watt
81 lol its the bridge one, u can use 81 and 85 in any position but for screaming leads..81..

and a new amp..no point in actives on a ss amp...or even a spider..
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
I dont have near enough money yet, and with the pickups on my guitar now even if i were to get a nicer amp, my sustain would be terrible and my pinch harmonics wouldnt' be near as loud.
Quote by brockg1214
I dont have near enough money yet, and with the pickups on my guitar now even if i were to get a nicer amp, my sustain would be terrible and my pinch harmonics wouldnt' be near as loud.

That's called practice, and your amp.
Quote by brockg1214

Dude I used to use the exact some stock pickups when I had a Vox 50watt hybrid and you could still hear the pinch harmonics. It's more technique than anything really. And although the epi pickups are pretty sterile and uninspiring they do have a fair amount of gain. 13K resistance in the bridge I think and the neck is a bit lower. If you really want new pickups instead of a new amp go for higher gain passive ones. The dimarzios on mine really made a difference.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
EMGs sound horrible unless you have a top notch guitar and amp. You'd better get yourself a nice pair of passives. I recommend the Duncan SH-5 for high gain use.
Quote by brockg1214
Why would a better pickup sound worse than my current ones on the amp i have?

Well, there is hardly anything that sounds worse than Epi pups, I give you that. But EMGs are known to work for extremely high gain settings and they work for that only. For anything less they are pretty bad.
It's also a question of amplification. For some reason, and I don't know why, EMGs don't work well with solid state amps. I have tried it in a store and spent quite some time with Spiders, Cubes, etc. and tried every eq setting possible and it still sounded bad. The only ss amp that worked somewhat with them was a Vox ad30vt, and it was far from sounding great, it just wasn't as horrible as the other ones.
And that was playing a 1400€ Framus, with cheaper guitars (ltd, epiphone and the like) it still sounded like crap. So you don't only need a good amp, but also a good guitar for EMGs.
That's just a more recent example though. I've been trying out a lot of guitars and amps with active pups over the years and it was always the same. I have heard others complaining about it on these boards, too.
Alright, thanks for letting me know. And i was just curious, I think I'm still going for them, I'm also replacing my amp with a B-52 at212 come december or so. Just needed some opinions.
Replace your amp before installing active pick-ups
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
My amp has absolutely nothing to do with the question, I am going to replace the amp eventually.
The 81 is tighter. 85 is more "rounded" sounding. Personally I prefer the 81, but a lot of people seem to like the 85 a lot more.
Well like said before, if you're replacing the bridge one it'll be the 81. Although you might want to hold off on swapping them until you get the new amp, unless you can wait that long with a tone you might not like.
just out of curiousity, is it going to sound WORSE than what i have with the actives? Or just not as good as if i were to get a good amp? because i KNOW my amp has terrible tone, but these pickups are going to be much higher output and a lot quieter than my other ones im hoping.
If you're SURE you're going to eventually get both, get the 85 for the bridge, and the 81 for the neck. Personally I would choose Seymour Duncan Blackouts, because they have nearly twice as much more output as the EMGs, and they sound MUCH better than EMGs, and they're cheaper.
Also, I would like to correct TheQuailman above. The EMGs are EXCELLENT for clean sounds as well. They are a very versatile set of pickups.
Quote by tehguitarnub
Also, I would like to correct TheQuailman above. The EMGs are EXCELLENT for clean sounds as well. They are a very versatile set of pickups.

They aren't excellent but IMO they sound better than what everyone cracks them up to be.