Simple as that, as of recent exploration through my being I've decided that I've over my "school sux!" type phase. The reason why is, because there is not drama and no outside factors to keep my focus away from learning anything. I always grew frustrated in school when they'd keep repeating the same thing over and over again even though in my mind I had mastered it and just couldn't put it into words, because only I understood the way I mastered it, not to mention all the outside factors (relationships, friendships, stereotypes, arguments etc.). So after I graduated I've spent...since July 3rd, 2008, 3 months and 8 days in almost isolation, confined to this machined called a computer, reading and learning.

Philsophy
History
Religion and its different points of views
Social sciences
Political sciences
Moral values and the recent "decay" of those moral values

and applied my common sense so I could understand it easier.

So I ask you UG, and if I may, I'd like to make this the official "Education" thread so to speak, what have you really learned? share your links, philosophies, corrections, book references and books in general and what not here.

I'm interested in other people's opinions and everyone's points of views on how do you see, not just the entire world, but your world. I'd like to make myself more educated and see why people think the way they do. While it sounds strange these days coming from a person living in the United States (with the stereotype of most people being ignorant and un-educated here) I'd like to learn more, not for any particular reason, I'd just like to store it in my memory banks just because. So if you will UG'ers, please share your minds and please, have educated debates if you're gonna have them. I feel like I'm missing something, but I'll edit this post if I need to.
learn some calculus and physics and build a giant death ray laser that you can use to hurt anyone who dares oppose you
Quote by seljer
learn some calculus and physics and build a giant death ray laser that you can use to hurt anyone who dares oppose you

With our current technology that might be slightly impossible, and slightly illegal, but thanks I'll take that into account
Quote by seljer

In this, the third reply, the nature of the answers to this thread have been pretty much defined. This is as good as it gets here. Sorry, mate
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
In this, the third reply, the nature of the answers to this thread have been pretty much defined. This is as good as it gets here. Sorry, mate

I can understand, no worries here. I have seen some pretty nice threads around here where people have shared their thoughts and I want to put it all together in a thread where everyone can have a civil conversation...or I might just be a lunatic thinking that might happen in the pit
Quote by Eric 666
I can understand, no worries here. I have seen some pretty nice threads around here where people have shared their thoughts and I want to put it all together in a thread where everyone can have a civil conversation...or I might just be a lunatic thinking that might happen in the pit

Must... help... good cause
I love reading. Lately I've been trying to divulge in some classic literature.

In my last job I used to read because I was on my own and it was usually pretty quiet. Once a customer came in and saw I was reading "Crime & Punishment". We then had a little chat about other Dostoyevsky books and he recommended me some Zola. On his way out he said "There's a reason why they call them 'classics'". Which has always stuck with me.

Conversely, a week or so later I was at work with the same book and another customer saw what I was reading and said "Wow, you must be bored reading that rubbish."

Such a contrast.

Anyway, fair play to you for wanting to keep on learning. It's a shame how some people don't understand how amazing and complex our brains are and are happy to let TV, magazines and other forms of media (the internet included) do their thinking and learning for them.
Official member of the "UG Senior Citizens Club For People Over 21"
Official member of the "UG Fat Chicks Appreciation Club" (Yeah, no one will probably follow...)

Quote by seljer

ya that way even if people don't want to learn u can make them
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Quote by Heid
I love reading. Lately I've been trying to divulge in some classic literature.

In my last job I used to read because I was on my own and it was usually pretty quiet. Once a customer came in and saw I was reading "Crime & Punishment". We then had a little chat about other Dostoyevsky books and he recommended me some Zola. On his way out he said "There's a reason why they call them 'classics'". Which has always stuck with me.

Conversely, a week or so later I was at work with the same book and another customer saw what I was reading and said "Wow, you must be bored reading that rubbish."

Such a contrast.

Anyway, fair play to you for wanting to keep on learning. It's a shame how some people don't understand how amazing and complex our brains are and are happy to let TV, magazines and other forms of media (the internet included) do their thinking and learning for them.

Oh yeah, I get you, but again, its different ways of viewing it, like their opinions on books. I like to use the internet as a way of learning and other forms of media because they're more readily available, but I still seeing both sides to every story and really think about it, that's why I'm also reading books. I read Confessions Of A Tax Collector a couple of days ago, and I'm reading the Bush At War series right now, I also have The Ommnivore's Dilemma and Civilization and Its Enemies, which is a ridiculously intricate book. It has about 7-800 pages worth of information packed down in less than 300, its very dense
Quote by Eric 666
Oh yeah, I get you, but again, its different ways of viewing it, like their opinions on books. I like to use the internet as a way of learning and other forms of media because they're more readily available, but I still seeing both sides to every story and really think about it, that's why I'm also reading books. I read Confessions Of A Tax Collector a couple of days ago, and I'm reading the Bush At War series right now, I also have The Ommnivore's Dilemma and Civilization and Its Enemies, which is a ridiculously intricate book. It has about 7-800 pages worth of information packed down in less than 300, its very dense

Yeah, it just seemed so interesting to me that some people are really into books/reading and some people dismiss it off-hand as though it's going out of fashion. But when we reach nuclear holocaust and we have no power for our televisions or computers, me and thee will be the ones sat in a corner with a torch and a stack of reading material. We'll have the last laugh
Official member of the "UG Fat Chicks Appreciation Club" (Yeah, no one will probably follow...)

Quote by Heid
Yeah, it just seemed so interesting to me that some people are really into books/reading and some people dismiss it off-hand as though it's going out of fashion. But when we reach nuclear holocaust and we have no power for our televisions or computers, me and thee will be the ones sat in a corner with a torch and a stack of reading material. We'll have the last laugh

Oh yes , I dont know man, its fun when you have a book that you like, I definetely would recommend reading Confessions Of A Tax Collector, because it reads very easily and its a very fun book that's filled with 1st hand recollections of someone who worked in the I.R.S so its pretty factual, its my favorite book so far, and it taught me a lot of things I didn't know about the U.S Govt.
Quote by Eric 666
Oh yes , I dont know man, its fun when you have a book that you like, I definetely would recommend reading Confessions Of A Tax Collector, because it reads very easily and its a very fun book that's filled with 1st hand recollections of someone who worked in the I.R.S so its pretty factual, its my favorite book so far, and it taught me a lot of things I didn't know about the U.S Govt.

Sounds like a thumping good read

Alright c'mon gentlemen step right up and done be shy, give you book recommendations right here!