Alright, so my band plays this blues song and i have three solos in it. For my last solo, i was thinking about kinda using a tweaked version of the pull offs from the Fade to Black (metallica) outro solo. I assumed this song was in Am because of the verse chords, but it didnt exactly work that well playing over the blues song chords
e|------5---7--|
B|------5---7--|
G|--6---5---7--|
D|--5---4---6--|
A|--7---5---7--|
E|--5----------|
those are the 3 chords (just shapes, thats not the rythm/timing they are played haha)

e|--15---12-----12--15-12--14--12-----12|--17--14------14--17-|
B|-----------12-------------------12----|----------15---------|
G|--------------------------------------|---------------------|
D|--------------------------------------|---------------------|
A|--------------------------------------|---------------------|
E|--------------------------------------|---------------------|

Thats the Fade to black lick (plus moving it up the 19,17,15 on high e) So would i have to move it up so instead of starting with index on 12 on high e it starts at 15? I wouldnt be able to do the last part because id be on the 24th by the third lick though
Last edited by Tubyboulin at Oct 11, 2008,
A7 - D9 - E9

It's a I-IV-V in A major. The G in A7 and the C in D9 aren't diatonic but it's bluesy and it resolves to the first A major chord.

You never said.... What key are you transposing this to?

Edit: I assume you want to transpose the Fade to Black solo lick from E minor to A major, huh?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
As a rule of thumb, every Metallica song is in E minor.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Yeah, i probobly should have looked at the chords that were bein played during the solo

Iron Maiden seems to stick to E minor a lot too.

So how do i go about turning this into a usable lick in A Major?
Last edited by Tubyboulin at Oct 11, 2008,
Probably, haha.

I don't know about Maiden's songs. I love them to death but the solos are too hard for me so I don't bother learning the songs. I learn the Metallica songs in which I CAN play the solos though.

Just play the same shape starting on the 5th fret but make the changes from minor to major (raise the 3rd, 6th, and 7th degrees a half step). You do that because you know the FtB bit is in E minor and it starts on an E note and you're bringing it to A major so starting on an A note is obvious. Raising the 3rd, 6th, and 7th a half-step will bring it from A minor to A major. (had to change C to C# and G to G#)

That will make it:

e|-5---9p5----5--9p5--7p5-|--10p7-------7----10p7----|---9---------12p9---10p9-----|
B|---------5--------------|--------9-----------------|-------10--------------------|
G|------------------------|--------------------------|-----------------------------|
D|------------------------|--------------------------|-----------------------------|
A|------------------------|--------------------------|-----------------------------|
E|------------------------|--------------------------|-----------------------------|
etc.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Oct 11, 2008,