Howdy, i've just recently inherited some money and it was the departed's wish for my to spend a portion of it and then save the rest; my grandfather suggests that it goes towards a decent guitar.

I have a les Paul and Super Strat already so i've got my eye on getting a Fender Stratocaster. I have up to £1000 to spend, but prefably the cost would be from £7-850. Looking around i'm rather taken aback by the sheer range of choice on offer so i've just come to see if anyone can give any advice on the quality/reputation of specific models in the range.

I'm after a maple necked, SSS model and my eyes have been caught on the USA deluxe models(Around £800) ; anyone have any experience with these guitars (better than the standards) or advice for better places to look?
Last edited by philipisabeast at Oct 11, 2008,
couple of questions:

- do you want a more vintage style of strat, or more modern? (if you don't know, just say and i'll explain the rough differences)

- are you willing to look at companies other than fender?

- what type of music do you play?

- what's your amp?

sorry to hear that someone close to you passed away, by the way.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
-In terms of era, i'm not particularly interested in the electronic systems such as the VG, although the Deluxe models do have the extra pickup switching positions which could be interesting, but it's not a massive deal setter.

-I would be willing to look at other companies actually, any suggestions?

-I'd be using this guitar for stuff from blues to prog rock

-I have a laney VC30 which I use with a delay, an OD and an EQ

Cheers for your help and condolences; strats and the etc are an area of the guitar market i've kept away from until now so it's all rather confusing. But of course, it'll come down to what sounds and feels best when I get the chance to go trying some models out in shops
yeah, i mean if you really wanted all that extra pickup switching, you could wire it in yourself later (assuming you can solder)... it's probably not worth getting a guitar you don't want just to get switching which you could add later.

do you need 22 frets? do you like a more vintage style of neck profile, or more modern?

off the top of my head, it'd also be worth looking into blade, fretking (haven't been able to try fretkings yet, unfortunately), japanese-made tokai (the old 80s ones are the nicest, i think, but if you can get newer ones for cheaper, may be worth considering) and other japanese copies, G&L, and probably some others which I'm forgetting... some of those may be out of the running depending on your answer to the above questions...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You might want to look into a CIJ Stratocaster - their quality supposedly surpasses that of the American models for less money.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
During my quest for the perfect Strat this summer (I ended up getting a MIA Standard) I also tried some Deluxes.

They're great guitars, but so are the Standards. Couldn't find much of a difference aside aesthetics (those inlays are really cool) and the different pickup switching.

In my opinion they are wonderful, but they don't justify the price difference over the USA Standards.
Gear:

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss ME-20
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Washburn South Side Jr.
Dunlop Jazz III XL picks

R.I.P. Rick Wright
Quote by Raijouta
You might want to look into a CIJ Stratocaster - their quality supposedly surpasses that of the American models for less money.

ah, i always forget about those, those'd be worth considering too. i think they're currently made in the tokai factory...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers for the replies guys, i'll definitely have a look at the other brands, i've seen some good stuff about them mentioned around here.

In terms of the Fender Strat, (CIJ is certainly open for consideration when I find a place near me with them in stock) can anyone explain how the current Standard models differ from the 'Classic' models? Is it down to neck shape/body contours/electronics?
The Standards have 22 medium-jumbo frets and a C-shaped neck.

The normal Classic/Vintage models usually have 21 vintage style frets (those are smaller and more uncomfortable). They sometimes have different neck shapes, such as V, soft V, or U. Most classic models usually have different pickups. Some have Custom Shop pickups (it all depends on the model), but I believe most pickups are somewhat 'vintage' sounding.
Some Classic guitars also have different wiring (I believe the Classic Player 50's has a switching position where you can play with neck + bridge pickups).

I was now talking about the majority of 'vintage' models Fender makes, but if you're talking about the Mexican 'Classic Series', I won't reccomend them. I once tried the Classic 50's and didn't like the neck, the fretboard (felt really sticky), the frets (I really deslike vintage frets), and the bridge (if you only touched the whammy bar, the guitar went completly out of tune).
Gear:

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss ME-20
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Washburn South Side Jr.
Dunlop Jazz III XL picks

R.I.P. Rick Wright
^ pretty much, aye. i wouldn't necessarily say that the classic necks are more uncomfortable (some prefer them), but they're a lot more vintage in feel. normally 21 frets too, and a lot of the japanese ones have 21 frets. As i asked, how many frets do you need, philipisabeast? if you definitely need 21, or would prefer 22, you can immediately disregard maybe half of the models which you're looking at, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Haha 22 would probably be what i'm looking at and i'd probably be looking to get something above a MIM model.

Is the current USA standard a detached beast from strat's of the past? I've got an odd perception that they are, but i'm quite certain this may be total rubbish that i've just conjoured up in my head. Quite bizarre really
When you are thinking about spending that much money on a strat, I would say go G&L over Fender. (G&L is sort of a boutique brand started by Leo after she sold Fender)
^ after the sex-change op too, apparently...

Quote by philipisabeast
Haha 22 would probably be what i'm looking at and i'd probably be looking to get something above a MIM model.

Is the current USA standard a detached beast from strat's of the past? I've got an odd perception that they are, but i'm quite certain this may be total rubbish that i've just conjoured up in my head. Quite bizarre really

ok, if you're after 22, you can pretty much discard the MIM classic 50s and 60s strats, MIM standards, US vintage reissues (some of which would sneak in at the very upper end of your budget), and a lot of the old tokais and other japanese copies (a lot of which had 21 frets).

your second paragraph, it'd really depend upon whom you ask... if you ask me, they're still strats, but very much a modern take on them. They still have the 3 single coil pickups, bolt-on maple neck and alder or ash body, but the vintage ones had 21 frets, nitrocellulose finish, 6 screw trem with steel saddles, non-reverse wound middle pickup, vintage radius and nut width etc. etc. It really depends on how close you need to get to vintage spec, to be honest, a lot of those differences are quite subtle, but they're there...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got my deluxe for £700, which is about the same price as a standard. I don't really use the switching much - occasionally for jazz - but it's a more gain friendly guitar due to the noiseless pickups (which do exactly what they say on the tin). The tone is a little different. but I wouldn't have said it was worse. Cosmetically it looks a bit better too, more uniform maple piece for the neck, abalone inlays etc. The bridge is a little different to the new standard as well. I probably wouldn't have got a deluxe over a standard at full price though.

Something like a G&L or a CIJ would probably be better bang for buck but they're very difficult to find over here.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Quote by philipisabeast

I am obviously biased, but I believe the current (new for 2008) USA Standards are really good guitars. I believe Fender really has a great product now in that price range.

When I first tried one, I was really blown away... The 'modern' features it comes with, such as the delta tone circuit won't influence much of your playing... I must say I really love the bridge, though. For me, it's the best 'new' feature in the 2008 strat.

If you have the money, want it and are willing to pay for it, you should go for a Deluxe. But if you choose the Standard, you'll have a great guitar and you can still keep some money in your pocket.
Gear:

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss ME-20
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Washburn South Side Jr.
Dunlop Jazz III XL picks

R.I.P. Rick Wright