Hi Guys,

I was hoping you could help me with naming this chord as it has me quite confused.

e-----0-----
b-----8-----
g-----7-----
d-----10---
a-----0-----
E------------

As you can see, the notes are A (bass) C, D, G and E.

I know that if you rearrange the order to C E G D that would be an extended chord (Cadd9 or Cmaj9???), but I am not sure how the chord, as voiced, would be named.

I had something like Csus2add10/A but that seems way to complex to be right ...

If it's any help, the above chord is part of a two chord progression - Amaj to the mystery chord. I've tabbed it out below.

Any help would be appreciated so thanks in advance.

e--0--------0-----
b--5--------8-----
g--6--------7-----
d--7--------10---
a--0--------0-----
E------------------
Cadd9/A
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
so the order of the notes doesn't make it some weird inversion?
ASharp maj7b5
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
^

+1

e 0
b 3
G 0
D 2
A 0
E x
Last edited by Lum at Oct 11, 2008,
^^ You're on the right track. The correct way to write that would be Am11

the add11 suffix is used when you are adding an extension to a triad that does not include a seventh. Hence Am(add11) = 1 b3 5 11 = A C E D

Am11 is an Am dominant 11 which is an extension of the Am dominant seventh to include an 11th. Hence Am11 = 1 b3 5 b7 (9) 11 = A C E G (B) D. The note in brackets is optional.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Oct 11, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I tend to agree with this, but with proper context, essentially bass playing, it could be Amadd4 as well.

Amadd4?? = A C D E only problem with this is that it leaves out the G which is kind of important isn't it?
Si
So the order of the notes does effect it?

I mean Am11 makes sense to me too but the E is higher than the D in the chord so wouldn't that change what was "added"?

By that mentality the Cadd9/A doesn't work either

That might be a dumb question, I don't know I'm still confused.
Quote by 20Tigers
Amadd4?? = A C D E only problem with this is that it leaves out the G which is kind of important isn't it?
If there was a G, it would be Am11. Without the 7th, it is an add chord.

The order of notes in a chord is often not that important.
Quote by tska01

e-----0-----
b-----8-----
g-----7-----
d-----10---
a-----0-----
E------------
-

The 8th fret B string is the G.

from low to high A C D G E = Am11

The 4th is usually (but not always) referred to as an 11th when there is a 3rd present regardless of whether the voicing is within or spans more than a single octave.

When a seventh is present the 4th is almost always referred to as an 11th unless it is replacing the 3rd as in seventh chord with a suspended fourth. Again this is regardless of whether the distance from the root chord is within or outside an octave.
Si