not sure if this is the best section for this thread... there doesn't seem to be a place dedicated to vocals.

anyway... Vocals and smoking:

how does smoking affect vocals? I'm thinking harsh mostly but clean can be discussed as well.

would smoking help to strengthen your throat, like a callous, thereby making it easier to do harsh vocals without it hurting?

or... would it deteriorate your throat tissue making it more painful?

i know either way, you should have a technique that doesn't hurt you, pain is there for a reason... to tell you not to do something. but does anyone have any experience that would shed some light on this? I guess the only way to tell is if someone had been doing harsh vocals for a while before taking up smoking.

I myself am a non-smoker and do harsh backing vocals (in addition to drumming) for my band Odinfist. It rarely hurts me to do my vocals, this idea came to mind because I have a bit of a cold and a sore throat today (which does make harsh vocals hurt a bit).

either way, there's no good reason to take up smoking.
go the singing thread. its a sticky on this page.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
You don't smoke, and you are considering taking it up to do harsh vocals, even though they don't hurt you at the moment.

Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I have no idea. I took 1 draught once and it ****ed up my voice.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by rapscallion

how does smoking affect vocals?

Lemmy Kilmister
Quote by MeRcI-BuCkEtS
Evolve?

Evolve Festival 2007: Aug. 2nd, 3rd & 4th!!!
Evolve Festival 2008: July 25th, 26th & 27th!!!
Evolve Festival 2009: July 17th, 18th & 19th!!!
Sunflower Valley
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
www.evolvefestival.com
Quote by duncang
You don't smoke, and you are considering taking it up to do harsh vocals, even though they don't hurt you at the moment.

agreed. i think its very dumb to pick up a terrible habit just because youre not happy with your voice. there are many training programs and techniques to get your voice harsh, use those. i smoke, and though it does make my singing voice more hoarse, i doubt it would help you that much. but i dont scream when i sing, so
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
The is an only singing thread in the Musician's Talk forum. Please go there.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??