Page 1 of 2
"Golden Gate Bridge officials have voted to hang a stainless steel net from the bridge to catch would-be suicides who throw themselves off the famous span."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Suicide-Barrier-Golden-Gate-Bridge-To-Have-Netting-To-Stop-People-Who-Throw-Themselves-Off/Article/200810215118272?lpos=World_News_Second_World_News_Article_Teaser_Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_15118272_Suicide_Barrier%3A_Golden_Gate_Bridge_To_Have_Netting_To_Stop_People_Who_Throw_Themselves_Off

So what is pit's opinion in this. Personally i think its a bad idea, considering it will cost £30m.
Quote by wiggyisgreat
Slooj, I'd bang you so hard.

••The Robin Trower Fans Group••
PM me to join!
Wow... If people are that stupid, why not let them remove themselves? It's obviously better for the human race as a whole.
If someone's gonna commit suicide and they can't on the golden gate bridge, they'll just do it on one of the other bridges in San Francisco.

Total waste of money, and not even the best way of doing it anyway.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by imdeth
A net isn't going to stop people jumping from a bridge. There's more than one bridge in the world.
i'm guessing it's less about preventing suicides and more about preventing suicides there

i read somewhere that it's the number 1 suicide spot in the country, and that can't be good for... tourism
Last edited by blackflag49 at Oct 11, 2008,
Right to life, and this is just a bad idea. I wonder who has to check the net every now and then.
Wouldn't falling onto a stainless steel net from a high enough distance kill you anyway?

Even if it doesn't that sounds extremely painful . . .
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
That's retarded. People obviously aren't going to jump if there's a net. "HEY LUK TH4RZ A N3T IM4 JUMP AN K1LL MUHS3LF"

The net will not save anyone, people will just find a different bridge or building to jump off of. A complete waste of money.

EDIT: Suicide should be completely legal. The government doesn't own you.
People might jump into the net for fun! Bad idea seeing as there is many other bridges.
Quote by ctb
they might just bounce off into the traffic lol

I Don't think Stainless Steel is gonna bounce them back up, haha. Although, i must admit, that would be quite funny. Much better way to die.
Wait, so that's basically a huge trampoline.

I'm seeing jumping rates going up.

EDIT: didn't read the stainless steel part
Last edited by psyks at Oct 11, 2008,
Quote by blackflag49
i'm guessing it's less about preventing suicides and more about preventing suicides there

i read somewhere that it's the number 1 suicide spot in the country, and that can't be good for.. tourism

I disagree. I think it would be a killer tourist spot.
Quote by a_man
People might jump into the net for fun! Bad idea seeing as there is many other bridges.

Actually, that sounds really fun!

Although you will probably get fined for jumping in just for fun.
Quote by wiggyisgreat
Slooj, I'd bang you so hard.

••The Robin Trower Fans Group••
PM me to join!
Quote by gallagher2006
£30m for a net...:S

Who exactly is Americas estimator?

it's stainless steel.

jumping off the bridge and hitting stainless steel would hurt.
Sent from my iPad.
About as dumb as this bypass they made in NC around Greensboro. After spending millions of dollars and relocating people off the path of the road who have lived on the same place for generations; They open the road then like a year later are closing it because of the noise and vibrations it is causing to people living near it.

Plus doesn't this just mean you have to jump onto the net then climb over the edge of it to kill yourself? Think of all the people who will jump off it for fun then and all the cost with sending cops to then get the people who are having fun or take them to jail for trying to kill themself. It is alot cheaper to let them kill themself
Last edited by ViperScale at Oct 11, 2008,
Quote by imdeth
I disagree. I think it would be a killer tourist spot.

"Oh . . . OH . . . do you think hes gonna . . . YES! There he goes!!! Oh my God, the crazy bastard jumped!!! HA! You totally owe me $10, Frank!"

The new national pasttime.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
they should make the netting catch itself on fire if someone lands on it so we can kill the crazies anyways
I'm Steve
eh i think if some one wants to take their life they should be able to
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
see if there was a net id just jump off into the net
then climb back up and jump again

its like cheap B.A.S.E jumping
The stainless steel thing is the worst idea ever, that'll just make the jumpers into little chunks of meat for the fishes (yes I stole that from the article). The net is a good idea though... as long as they don't make it out of stainless steel.
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

IA! IA! CTHULHU FHTAGN!
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
they should make the netting catch itself on fire if someone lands on it so we can kill the crazies anyways

Well wouldn't stainless steel conduct electricity? (assuming)

We should just make it an uber high voltage so they get fried when they jump onto it, like a ginormous bug-zapper. It'd be totally metal.
Quote by frottage

We should just make it an uber high voltage so they get fried when they jump onto it, like a ginormous bug-zapper. It'd be totally metal.

Then instead of people dying in the ocean from impact, we get the stench of burnt flesh going up to people driving by.

I think that would be cruel and unusual punishment.
Quote by shaquille
Then instead of people dying in the ocean from impact, we get the stench of burnt flesh going up to people driving by.

I think that would be cruel and unusual punishment.

It'd be worth it.
let the idiots die. just purifies the gene pool. And if theyreally want to prevent suicides there, just build a tunnel roof over the whole damn thing with no windows, making it totally impossible to jump off and die. with net, they could just jump over the side of the net anyway, or hang themselvesfrom it. if anything, they're increading the risk of suicide.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Quote by Rockingbird
let the idiots die. just purifies the gene pool.

Exactly, thank you!
they should make a net from cheesewire, just to make sure

well thats what i thought off when i read stainless steel net
Last edited by slogankid1 at Oct 11, 2008,
What's the big deal with a purified gene pool? You guys are pretty inconsiderate to the fact that not everyone can be as perfect as you. Give it a rest, the gene pool isn't going to purify because you let a few people kill themselves off the Golden Gate every year anyways.
Quote by frottage

as long as its entertainment for the tourists
I'm Steve
Quote by Rockingbird
let the idiots die. just purifies the gene pool.
ok

the day you produce a better novel than ernest hemingway, a better painting than vincent van gogh, and a more influential school of thought than sigmund freud .... is the day you can rightfully voice your 'purifying the gene pool" crap

until then, means nothin'
Quote by frottage

EDIT: Suicide should be completely legal. The government doesn't own you.

No, but it is in their best interests to keep a healthy, productive population.
Thats unfair, people want to have a nice reliable way to kill themselves, and now they want to stop them . . . . .terrible stuff . . . . .
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
Mmhmm just cause you commit suicide it doesn't mean you're stupid, both intelligent and unintelligent people do it regularly. And I think you're forgetting that people can have kids before they kill themselves anyway.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
The amount of suicides is going to increase until this net goes up, all those people wanting to die on the bridge will be forced to do it before they're stopped.

What I want to know is what's stopping the people hauling themselves off the side of the net once they've landed on it?
Page 1 of 2