I want to get a decent tube combo that has good distortion. I play metal, usually pretty heavy, and want a lot of gain (of corse). I was lookin at the crate V series because there pretty cheap.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V33212-33W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487056

Suggestions?
Don't buy a classic rock amp and try to get metal out of it. Save up or look used for an amp that is voiced more for metal.

Edit: Used Randall RG50tc, Roland Cube 30, Vypyr 30 would all be better for metal than the crate. I like the crate, it's just not a "metal" amp.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The V series are on sale now, and really are worth much more than that. I would get a Peavey Windsor head and use your Flexwave cabinet. Windsors are supposed to be like single-channel JCMs, so check those out if you dont need 2 channels. I would look at heads,too, since you already have a cab, and itll be cheaper than buying a combo amp.
If you're really on a budget and you want high-gain, you should check out the Hybrid Randall amps. The RH150G3 is a great amp for heavier stuff.

If you can stretch your budget, check out B-52 amps, Bugera amps and the Randall RG50TC.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
save up a bit more cash and get the Randall RG50TC, i have one and it's unbelievably good
Equipment

Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Randall RG50TC
B-52's go for about $350 used, I have seen the RG50tc for $400 usually. I have not tried the b-52 but I did quite like the Randall. Also a H&K edition tube used would be in the same range. A used VK112 is usually $225-275 - which has a love/hate deal with metal guys/gals, but I liked it for metal when I played it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
so randalls and B-52s are good?
And i was only saying a combo because i thought they would be cheaper for some reason..

EDIT: I dont care if i just get a different head, its the price that matters.
Last edited by rocktag at Oct 11, 2008,
sorry i have a question, a lot of randall amps talk about their "valve-dynamic" feature combining the best of tube and solid state convenience or something. so are they tube amps? can i use a tube screamer with them and get just as much out of it as with a plain tube amp?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
sorry i have a question, a lot of randall amps talk about their "valve-dynamic" feature combining the best of tube and solid state convenience or something. so are they tube amps? can i use a tube screamer with them and get just as much out of it as with a plain tube amp?

No you won't. All of that stuff is just marketing bullshit. You should treat it more like a solid-state amp.

You can still use the Tubescreamer to tighten things up though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
VOX XL

ive got the VT, and it puts out some huge distortion. havent tried the XL though.
Quote by Tedward
VOX XL

ive got the VT, and it puts out some huge distortion. havent tried the XL though.

Not a tube amp.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Not a tube amp.

hybrid. I cant really see a difference. I actually like the tone better than the 5150 i play at my local store.

and full tube amps are pretty expensive, even for just a head it costs the same as a 50 watt vox.
Quote by Tedward
hybrid. I cant really see a difference. I actually like the tone better than the 5150 i play at my local store.

and full tube amps are pretty expensive, even for just a head it costs the same as a 50 watt vox.

No offence, but you're a little bit misinformed.

You may not notice a difference now, but there is quite a difference, especially if you play loud.

There are cheap tubes amps too you know? Just like there are expensive solid-states.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
look at
B52 at-112
randall rg50tc
and bugera, mainly the 6262.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
bugera 6262, very good tone, very good price.

check it out you must.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
the b-52 that everyone had reccommended is good but its very hit-or-miss. its hard to get a perfect metal tone, and on 8, its not audible over a drummer. at least thats the case for me
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
what about the peavey valveking 112? what does anyone say on that? I was thinking of buying it, I also play metal, and some hard rock and classic.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
ok i was looking for the same thing about 3 weeks ago and i read what everyone said about the crate v33 for metal...

i was very skeptical and went with it anyways... i use a boss metal zone pedal and i am very pleased with the metal tone i get out of it... its a great amp for the price i think...unless i got a one of a kind