I know switching cabs can make a big difference in tone, but is it just the speakers? If so, shouldn't everyone just switch the speakers in their cab inside of buying a totally new cab or does the cab itself matter (like what kind of wood it's made of and stuff) or does that effect tone at all?
It's not just the speakers. It's cabinet construction and the kind of wood the cabinets are made of. Wether the cabinet is open or closed back makes a difference too.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
ok, my dad said that only the speakers affect your tone... he said the kind of wood and stuff is just how sturdy it is... so he's wrong? can you explain how the cabinets construction affects tone?
Last edited by kirkhammett09 at Oct 11, 2008,
yes hes wrong... a strong heavy construction will mean a more bassy tone
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by xander307
yes hes wrong... a strong heavy construction will mean a more bassy tone

is that it? will it make a huge difference or is it still mainly the speakers? and are there any other differences cab constuction can make? and how does different wood affect your tone?
Quote by kirkhammett09
how does different wood affect your tone?

sigh.. im preety sure they make guitars out of different woods for different tones... denser woods will give off warmer tones because they will vibrate at a deeper frequency
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Generally the speakers are the MAIN thing, but just like with a guitar, every factor will have a subtle (or not so subtle) affect.
a guy told me that the tremolo bar was called the "distortionator"
the kind of wood it is cant make that big of a difference. Even guitars tonewoods dont make a hugely noticeable difference.

and all amps are basically covered in tolex anyways.

however the speakers can make a HUGELY unexpected change in your tone.

one time i played a song at my school and i had my Vox AD50VT, but i thought it would be better if i used my friends MG 4x12 cab he had there, and as soon as i started playing i actually said out loud "**** what have i done????"

dont underestimate the power of speakers. Spend good money and dont dissapoint yourself.
type of wood and the density of the wood matter too. size plays a big role too. denser the wood, more lows you get. +it's more durable.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack