Two weeks ago, I ordered a '65 Reissue Fender Mustang from "Dave's Guitar" in Wisconsin. I was going to swap it for my Gibson SG Classic with P-90's.

The Mustang arrived on Thursday, and I had 48 hours to play it before the "No Questions Asked" return period expired.

Short story: the Mustang just didn't do it for me, so I sent it back this morning. In every respect, the SG kicked its ass, and I must have been smokin' crack when I considered making a straight-up trade.

The 'Stang was smokin' hot looking in Daphne Blue, and I liked the short scale and the skinny neck. It weighed a little less than the SG and felt great in my lap (I usually play sitting down). But the fret ends were annoyingly sharp and the pickups were very noisy and whimpy. I couldn't get my Tiny Terror to break up even with the gain turned up completely! It did, however, sound great when played clean.

I don't like the chunky neck on my SG, but in every other way, it so outclassed the Mustang that I'm going to give myself another year or two to bond with the SG.
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Quote by Armchair Bronco
Two weeks ago, I ordered a '65 Reissue Fender Mustang from "Dave's Guitar" in Wisconsin. I was going to swap it for my Gibson SG Classic with P-90's.

The Mustang arrived on Thursday, and I had 48 hours to play it before the "No Questions Asked" return period expired.

Short story: the Mustang just didn't do it for me, so I sent it back this morning. In every respect, the SG kicked its ass, and I must have been smokin' crack when I considered making a straight-up trade.

The 'Stang was smokin' hot looking in Daphne Blue, and I liked the short scale and the skinny neck. It weighed a little less than the SG and felt great in my lap (I usually play sitting down). But the fret ends were annoyingly sharp and the pickups were very noisy and whimpy. I couldn't get my Tiny Terror to break up even with the gain turned up completely! It did, however, sound great when played clean.

I don't like the chunky neck on my SG, but in every other way, it so outclassed the Mustang that I'm going to give myself another year or two to bond with the SG.

Sharp frets can be fixed easy with steel wool.

Should've bought a Jag.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
he already has a jag.. look at his sig lol
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
It's always good to just play around with other guitars, it gives you a good feel for the differences between them and it can help you find what you like in an instrument.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by RabbidWolf

Yeah, as someone on another forum noted:

"Dude, you have a Fender guitar with humbuckers and a Gibson guitar with single coils! Nice!"
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
It's always good to just play around with other guitars, it gives you a good feel for the differences between them and it can help you find what you like in an instrument.

I agree. Unfortunately, this little exercise cost me about $50.00 (for shipping both ways). No one in the Seattle had any Mustangs, so I had to get one shipped out from Wisconsin.

Still, I got the opportunity to play the 'Stang in my own home with my own amps over a two-day period, so I guess it's better to have lost $50.00 doing this than to have lost $1,000 making a bad trade.
Quote by RabbidWolf

I don't really pay much attention to signatures unless I see my name in them.

/ego
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I did like the single coil tone I got from the Mustang, so I'm thinking that maybe my next guitar should be one of the new single-coil Fender Classic Player Jaguar Specials:

Quote by Armchair Bronco
I did like the single coil tone I got from the Mustang, so I'm thinking that maybe my next guitar should be one of the new single-coil Fender Classic Player Jaguar Specials:

Get the sunburst one, the red looks just...

Horrible.

So yeah, when you get it, get the sunburst!

And nice choice.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Mustangs seem to be really clean, slightly thin guitars. Some Lace Sensors (red and gold) may have beefed it up while still giving it a single sound. Or you could have went with a stacked humbucker, or gone the Kurt Cobain route and routed it for humbuckers. The fret ends you could have gotten fixed, and I don't think sharp fret ends are something that's super big of a deal, and a legitamate reason to return a guitar for another one. I would have tried to give it a little more time, and maybe run it through a higher gain amp.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Mustangs seem to be really clean, slightly thin guitars. Some Lace Sensors (red and gold) may have beefed it up while still giving it a single sound. Or you could have went with a stacked humbucker, or gone the Kurt Cobain route and routed it for humbuckers. The fret ends you could have gotten fixed, and I don't think sharp fret ends are something that's super big of a deal, and a legitamate reason to return a guitar for another one. I would have tried to give it a little more time, and maybe run it through a higher gain amp.

I agree that all of these issues were fixable, and in fact I imagined myself eventually upgrading the pups and maybe sticking a Super Distortion or a JB in the bridge, maybe even adding a coil splitter to one of the pots, if I had kept the 'Stang.

The thing is: I only had 48 hours to make up my mind. I basically had until 4:00 pm today. I played it as much as possible through a couple of different amps, but I also did a lot of A-B-ing with the SG. The bad fret ends and whimpy pups weren't the main reason I returned the guitar -- it's just that as a complete package, it didn't stack up to the SG.

I actually liked the Mustang on its own; but I got the Mustang on the promise that I'd get rid of one of my other guitars, in the case the SG. That swap just didn't make sense.

The other thing is that with last week's global economic meltdown, I felt guilty about making a $700 purchase that I wasn't completely thrilled with. For the next year or two, I'll be putting big-ticket purchases on hold and using the gear I've already go. Ca$h is KING, and I want to hold on to my cash!
Did SenorSmiley not tell you that you would not be happy?

See, this is why you need to listen to people who have owned what you want an opinion on and ignore the people that say, "teh Mustang is sweeet".
Quote by SenorSmiley
Did SenorSmiley not tell you that you would not be happy?

See, this is why you need to listen to people who have owned what you want an opinion on and ignore the people that say, "teh Mustang is sweeet".

Yes, you did tell me this in my other thread.

"Trust da man! SenorSmiley is da man!"

You know, as a parent, you tell your kids: "Don't touch the hot stove! You'll get burned!" But they touch it, anyway. They get burned...once...and then they never do it again. At least not intentionally.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of my SG. Maybe someday, I'll add a Bigsby B-5 to it, but that's the extent of it. The SG Classic will always be in my collection.