I heard boiling strings is good if you want the strings to sound like new but is there any cons to it? Like will they shrink or anything (that probably sounds pretty noobish) is there a chance they'll break after I boil them? and how long do I have to dry them before I can put them on again, and thanks in advance.

EDIT: I went to UG before google because I trust u guys more.
Last edited by Z0S07657 at Oct 11, 2008,
i really have no idea but buying a new six dollar set of strings sounds great to me
1642 ELEPHANTS LIVE HERE

Bass Gear
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass (Active Electronics) (MIM)
Ampeg SVT-7Pro Head
Ampeg SVT-610 Cab
To boil them I guess you first have to remove them from your guitar and then put them back on again? that will be a pain in the ass. also, strings are made from metal, so by boiling them they'll probably rust
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
They'll probably rust afterwards, but your best bet is to put em in coke (soda), let m sit for a bit, then in water.
Then dry em off with a hairdryer (If you use a towel, water will remain).
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Don't be such a tightwad and just pay for new strings!
Less faffing about and you get GAS when you enter the shop...mmmm

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
i think ernie ball makes a string cleaner thing

also there is a thing called the swipe which prolongs the life of strings but doesnt clean them
Just buy new ones? i mean they may sound brand new, that doesnt MAKE them brand new, it was increase longevity of the strings, if anything it wouldshorten the life span.
if your gonna take off strings to boil them, might as well just put a new set o...i'll take a tissue and run it down my strings, and its amazing to see how much orange rust is on them.