Choices:

Epi Valve Jr Half stack+attenuator+ "Marshall" mod.

Blackheart Little Giant + Bitmo Three way

Peavey Windsor Studio with eminence speaker.

I plan on getting a Tube Screamer, a Marshall Guv'nor and a Big Muff Pi to run through any of the amps also.

Epi would be the cheapest, peavey would be the most versatile and the most expensive and allow foot switching I believe. Epi would need the most modding and the Blackheart would just need a $50 mod but even at the 3 watt setting its loud.

I just want some awesome tone in my bedroom without going def and the ability to play out, not necessarily with a drummer and probably miced anyway..

Also thought about a Line 6 Pro XT and a decent power amp
what type of music do you play, and what kind of tone are you looking for?
I would go for something like a Fender 212 Frontman, and a Boss GT-10 or something.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

A Frontman is a solid state amp...

I'm looking at tube amps.

I play mainly alternative rock. I like the Marshall tone, if you haven't noticed the Epi would be modded as much as it can to resemble a more Marshally tone and the Bitmo three way for the Blackheart has a Marshally setting and the Guv'nor pedal is a Plexi sounding distortion.

Another plus of the Valve Jr is that it can be rebuilt into a Marshall 18watt Lite clone if I ever felt up to the challenge
Quote by m4l666
I would go for something like a Fender 212 Frontman, and a Boss GT-10 or something.

no...just no.
the windsor 112 combo would be better if you dont want to take the time and effort to mod the vj
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by the boogieman
the windsor 112 combo would be better if you dont want to take the time and effort to mod the vj

I do like tinkering with everything. But right now I find myself modding my guitars and stuff more than I am playing them. And while I think it would be fun to mod the Valve Jr, I am thinking about getting something where I can buy it and just play.
i have a modded epi head played thru a celestion g12k. throw a couple pedals at it and it's a very versatile bedroom tone dream.
The only thing that is holding me back on the Valve Jr is that I would prob have to borrow an amp if I ever got off my ass and started playing out
i haven't tried the windsor studio yet... little bit of backstory on that one. it was released a couple of years ago, and almost everyone on this darn site (regulars included ) was GASsing for one. however, the release date kept getting put off, a few dodgy-sounding videos emerged, and this coupled with a few regulars who'd heard them at trade shows saying that they sucked, pretty much killed a lot of GAS... i'd still like to try one, though . if you can get to try one and find out that it sounds good, it'd be worth considering; i don't think i'd buy one if you had to buy blind, though.

what about a peavey classic 30? by the time you've bought all those pedals/attenuators etc., you could just buy a better amp. it has a master volume so you can turn it down and still get pre-amp overdrive...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't think the C30's a good idea cause you won't be able to milk it to maximum effect in your bedroom. If you don't see yourself gigging soon, why not go for a 15W like a Fender Blues Junior? If you have some cash remaining get a cheap OD like a Bad Monkey and upgrade your OD later.
The problem with the Blues Junior is that it will always sound like a Fender.

And I hear the Windsor Studio doesn't sound that great until you replace the speaker with something proper.
Edit: At that price level I would grab a 15-18 watt clone and build it from one of the amps you listed. Pick the cab/head you like and go from there.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 12, 2008,
Quote by akack
With my multi-fx I can get amazing modern metal with my Blues Junior. What sounds are you looking for?

I dont want any digital crap messing up the tone.

I thought about building an 18watt clone, thats a lot of time though
Quote by akack
I don't think the C30's a good idea cause you won't be able to milk it to maximum effect in your bedroom. If you don't see yourself gigging soon, why not go for a 15W like a Fender Blues Junior? If you have some cash remaining get a cheap OD like a Bad Monkey and upgrade your OD later.

an you will be able to crank a blues junior? you're not going to be able to crank a 5-watter in your bedroom, let alone a 15. that, coupled with the fact that he also said he might think about gigging in the future, means he might as well go for an amp which is actually aimed at the tones he wants, even if it's past the arbitrary "too loud for bedroom" wattage....

Quote by eurotrashed
(a) The problem with the Blues Junior is that it will always sound like a Fender.

(b) And I hear the Windsor Studio doesn't sound that great until you replace the speaker with something proper.

(a) agreed, i don't think it's what you want.

(b) i've heard that too, but as i said, i haven't tried one. stock peavey speakers do tend to be very mediocre (if not downright terrible).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Right now I am leaning towards the Valve Jr. Learn the ropes on modding amps on that, and then when I need more power, 18 watt lite conversion...