any practice techniques to get better? I have trouble switching speeds and spacing the bursts. Im pretty much stuck at almost a "barracuda-Heart" speed. Any help would be great guys.

Keep Jammin'

-James
Equipment:
ESP LTD EC-1000
Agile 727 Interceptor Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Marshall 1960A Cab
Peavey 6505+
Rack stuff

Whoop Whoop. Holla.
Just practice slowly first, of course not with all downstrokes. Then you can try songs like Vain Glory Opera by Edguy or Full Moon by Sonata Arctica. Iced Earth have some gallopping songs too.
learn Battery by Metallica!!!
start out slow and then just keep speeding it up when u get used it being slow; at least thats what i did
ƒuck your nuts
Quote by captaincrunk
I love people who, instead of using the awesome signature feature, just ignore that and post their own every time!!!
Useful post...

Quote by bangoodcharlote
The gallop is an 8th note followed by two 16th-notes. It should be played D D U.

The reverse gallop is two 16th-notes followed by an 8th note. It should be played D U D.

The triplet is three notes of the same value and two consecutive triplets, a single group of triplets is rare, should be played D U D U D U. Do not play D U D D U D. If you can play those two notes in a row with downpicking, man up and downpick the whole thing (this is coming from a girl).

Obviously, if the tempo allows it, everything should be downpicked in metal (usually). At a slowish tempo, replace all of my Us with Ds, unless it rdins or alters a word [in my post] (I hope someone gets that joke).

With that in mind, just slowly practice and gradually increase your speed. Get a metronome and increase the speed a little bit at a time, making sure you are perfect before increasing the tempo.

Keep Jammin'
~Sue
Quote by system_cky
NO! learn with all down strokes=)
Yeah... try to do the whole Headless Game song by Edguy with all downstrokes, then your hand will be dead
Quote by Poglia
Yeah... try to do the whole Headless Game song by Edguy with all downstrokes, then your hand will be dead

I could do it
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-
Quote by system_cky
NO! learn with all down strokes=)
Ridiculous. Playing something like the 16th notes in Angel of Death would be impossible without upstrokes; ever the guys in Slayer can't downpick that.
I have one band for you my friend: Iron Maiden.

Seriously, if you want to practice slower go for stuff like Flight of Icarus and Hallowed Be Thy Name then for faster stuff you can get into The Trooper and Run to the Hills.

Don't forget their older stuff, Phantom of the Opera has a galloping riff as well!

Also, The Four Horsemen by Metallica or Mechanix by Megadeth (whichever you prefer lol) features a galloping riff. You'll know it when you hear it.
Quote by Superstrat101
Also, The Four Horsemen by Metallica or Mechanix by Megadeth (whichever you prefer lol) features a galloping riff. You'll know it when you hear it.
Those songs are fast swings; those are triplets, not gallops.
As an ultimate goal:

Bleed - Meshuggah
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
I'd learn F**king Hostile, or indeed anything by Pantera.
And to the guy that said triplets, galloping's actually 3 semiquavers followed by a semiquaver rest.
EDIT: Phantom of the Opera is NOT galloping. It's triplets.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
The rhythm right after the opening riff in Raining Blood is great practice for reverse gallops.

Quote by bangoodcharlote
Ridiculous. Playing something like the 16th notes in Angel of Death would be impossible without upstrokes; ever the guys in Slayer can't downpick that.

Yeah, you would have to be a cyborg to downpick 16ths at 210 bpm. I don't think it's humanly possible. If I had to guess I'd say the absolute limit of what is humanly possible to downpick would probably be around 155-160 bpm, 16ths. And that would be fu*king incredible.
Downpicked 16th-notes equate to alternate picked 32nd-notes, and at 160bpm, 32nd-notes yield 21.3 nps, so yes, you would be pushing the limits of guitar playing to the extreme, though it's possible to do in my opinion; didn't we all recently watch Michael Phelps shatter a bunch of world records? I see no reason why one would downpick at that speed, however; it's too fast for any difference to be heard.

Also, my tab of Angel of Death has them playing 16th-notes at 230 bpm. That's certianly possible, albeit difficult, but not if you're trying to downpick everything.

Quote by yM.Samurai
EDIT: Phantom of the Opera is NOT galloping. It's triplets.
That song is largely in 12/8 time, so yes, triplets, but I do believe there is a section of 4/4 that uses some galloping.

Then again, I've been listening to Maiden a ton lately, so I may be getting riffs confused.

Anyway, you make a valid point that triplets should not be confused with the gallop, though I think I posted that earlier in the thread.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Oct 12, 2008,
The most extreme downpicking I've heard of is the riff in Massacre by the Berzerker, involving a riff where octaves and powerchords are downpicked like so -

S S S S E S S S S E  S S  S S   S S S S  E S S S S E  S S E    16x
||--------------------------------|---------------------------------||
||o-------------------------------|--------------------------------o||
||----------6---------5-----------|---------10---------9------7-----||
||--------------------------------|---------------------------8-----||
||o-7-6-5---4-6-6-5---3--6-5--5-6-|1110-9-10-81010-9---7--9-9-8----o||
||--5-4-3-----4-4-3------4-3--3-4-|-9-8-7-8----8-8-7------7-7-6-----||

at 140bpm. That's pretty nuts.

And TS, stay loose, stay in time, keep a good solid tone and you'll sound good no matter how fast you are, and get faster as well.
^ Wow. Try playing that bad boy without tensing up!

Quote by bangoodcharlote
Downpicked 16th-notes equate to alternate picked 32nd-notes, and at 160bpm, 32nd-notes yield 21.3 nps, so yes, you would be pushing the limits of guitar playing to the extreme, though it's possible to do in my opinion; didn't we all recently watch Michael Phelps shatter a bunch of world records? I see no reason why one would downpick at that speed, however; it's too fast for any difference to be heard.

I think it would be even harder than alt picking 32nds at 160. Due to the fact that when alt-picking, you bring the pick back through the string on the upstroke, but when down-picking you have to bring it over. So you can make your picking movements smaller when alt-picking super fast than you could down picking. Though I still think that speed is just possible.

Quote by bangoodcharlote

Also, my tab of Angel of Death has them playing 16th-notes at 230 bpm. That's certianly possible, albeit difficult, but not if you're trying to downpick everything.

210 bpm for most of the song, then it speeds up to 232 for the lead section.
Quote by ramm_ty
As an ultimate goal:

Bleed - Meshuggah

Keep Jammin'
~Charlie
UG'S SEXIEST TRANNY 2010

UG'S 3rd HOTTEST CROSSDRESSER 2011
Quote by se012101
I think it would be even harder than alt picking 32nds at 160.
I agree, but for a different reason. At that speed, you're basically just playing as fast as you can with little regard for anything else. If you downpick the 16th-notes, though, you have to concentrate on downpicking rather than just shredding as fast as possible.

Quote by se012101
then it speeds up to 232 for the lead section.
That's what I meant.
I agree, but for a different reason. At that speed, you're basically just playing as fast as you can with little regard for anything else.

You may be, but various players genuinely retain control of attack, tone and accents at that kind of speed, Paul Gilbert, Shawn Lane, Eric Johnson and John Wheatcroft spring to mind. That's a fairly lofty goal, but aim high, miss high...
Quote by Freepower
You may be, but various players genuinely retain control of attack, tone and accents at that kind of speed, Paul Gilbert, Shawn Lane, Eric Johnson and John Wheatcroft spring to mind. That's a fairly lofty goal, but aim high, miss high...
I said, "little regard, " not, "no regard."

My guess is that Gilbert, Lane, EJ, et cetera have practiced to the extent that when they just play with wreckless abandon, they're still in complete control (holy paradox, Batman!).
Quote by Freepower
Bleed? They shoulda called it "Don't even bother".
I sat down with it one day and decided after 30 seconds that I'd never be badass enough to play it.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
Yeah, I can hear the kicks following the guitars.

I saw an interview with them somewhere and they said they were always f*cking exhausted after rehearsing it.

And arn't you supposed to be encouraging me or something?
Quote by TGautier13
i find it easier if you slightly angle your pick, both forawrd and back ...just test it out ay
Quote by Fred1000000
Retards are God's way of telling you you could be worse off, AND entertaining you at the same time!
The intro to Constant Motion by Dream Theater is all downpicked and half-harmonics (idk what that's actually called) with some annoying string changes. Not that fast, but very choppy.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Quote by yM.Samurai
The intro to Constant Motion by Dream Theater is all downpicked and half-harmonics (idk what that's actually called) with some annoying string changes. Not that fast, but very choppy.

Huh? since when?

Would be highly unpracticle to downstrock every note and therer are no semi-harmonics as far as I can tell.

EDIT: Hmm I just watched a vid of Petrucci and noticed most of the notes were Downpicked. Never noticed.
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.