How would one in the U.S. play, let's say Halo 3 (or any online game), against somebody from Japan?
I mean, there isn't like a telephone line that runs from the U.S. to Japan, so I couldn't see how one can play online with other people from various countries, unless satellites were involved. And if so, there would be tremendous lagging.

Anyone know the answers?

Thanks
Brawl Anyone?: Click HERE!!!

Like Mario Kart WiFi? Need help finding friends? Click here
I think there are fibre-optic cables that run along the bottom of the ocean... I THINK....
Proebaly satellites. After all the WWW. is part of the internet :P
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
Quote by Anthony1991
Its called a server.

That does nothing to answer the question. lol
Quote by Anthony1991
Its called a server.

How would an American server connect with a Japanese one?

Quote by n to the k
satelites i would say, not sure though

That's what I thought but gaming with satellites would lag terribly.

Quote by bobthesgman
How would an American server connect with a Japanese one?

Fiber optics that run through the ocean.
waves through satalite
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
"TPC-5, an all-optic fiber cable that is the first to use optical amplifiers, is laid in a loop across the Pacific Ocean. It is installed from San Luis Obispo, California, to Guam, Hawaii, and Miyazaki, Japan, and back to the Oregon coast and is capable of handling 320,000 simultaneous telephone calls."
the same way the internet works...? An ethernet cable or wireless connection taps into your internet connection and uses that? Just like this site has servers, so does any online game. I don't know any better way to explain it.
There's this thing, you probably won't have heard of.. It's called the internet.. It links computers and stuff, and lets people communicate all over the world.

I kid, there is no such thing.
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Quote by HohnJ723
the same way the internet works...? An ethernet cable or wireless connection taps into your internet connection and uses that? Just like this site has servers, so does any online game. I don't know any better way to explain it.

You guys are missing his question. He's asking how it's physically connected. And the answer is fiber optics.