Hi guys,
I was determined to get real metal tones from one of these little 5W valve amps, mines a Harley Benton GA5.
This is what I've come up with:
5W valve amp metal tones
The basis of the tone is from an asymetrical diode clipping circuit with a pot for controlling the "hardness" of the clipping.
Let me know what you think?
Any suggestions or idea's you might have would be greatly appreciated before I drill the holes and install it permanantly.
If you would like more details on the mods just ask.
I actually think that is pretty good. I'm not a metal head in any sense, but I like inovation. Is it actually part of the circuit or is it like a built in distortion pedal? Also, can it be bypassed?
I wouldnt really integrate anything into the amp permanently, why not just use this as a clip-on to the amp?
Quote by end_citizen
I actually think that is pretty good. I'm not a metal head in any sense, but I like inovation. Is it actually part of the circuit or is it like a built in distortion pedal? Also, can it be bypassed?

There's a pot there to control the level and a switch to turn it on and off.
The idea is when I'm in an AC/DC, Hendrixy kinda mood I would switch it off for the original tone and if I'm in e Metallica, Pantera kinda mood it switch it on. It would a part of the circuit that can be bypassed by a switch on the front panel, or at least that's the idea.