Foreign bands: better in the original language or singing in English?

Page 1 of 2
i've just been listening to Kraftwerk in German and I really prefer the German, which seems to fit the music prefectly.

So Pit, do you listen to a foreign band in the original language or the English versions only?
Some bands shouldn't sing English I think. I couldn't imagine Rammstein or Finntroll any other way. Though some bands (System Of A Down) for one should sing in English. They're crazy enough already, imagine them in Armenian
Quote by imdeth
Some bands shouldn't sing English I think. I couldn't imagine Rammstein or Finntroll any other way. Though some bands (System Of A Down) for one should sing in English. They're crazy enough already, imagine them in Armenian

True, true, but I doubt they'd be as popular as they are without some English songs.

As for SOaD....hmmmm
Quote by imdeth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZrLn9HhhjQ
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Yes and no.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I don't think I could relate to my 6 year old son getting ripped apart by rabid animals if Amon Amarth didn't sing in English.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I love Rammstein in German, and and all the songs in spanish i listen to rule in spanish.

have you ever heard of 99 red baloons? It topped the charts in america while in german, but did crappy in english...

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by an epic mistake
I love Rammstein in German, and and all the songs in spanish i listen to rule in spanish.

have you ever heard of 99 red baloons? It topped the charts in america while in german, but did crappy in english...

Good example.
I'd never listen to Sigur Ros in english. Icelandic makes the music more beautiful that it is already.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Yes and no, I could'nt imagine Moonspell singing in portuguese...

Quote by Jack Off Jill
"Son, always carry a medical glove in your pocket in case you wind up in a bathroom that has no toilet paper, and you get constipated."
Quote by JeanMi36
I'd never listen to Sigur Ros in english. Icelandic makes the music more beautiful that it is already.

What the flip?! Icelandic?
Quote by JeanMi36

Totally. The lyrics wouldn't sound like another instrument if it was in English.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
if they write it in a foreign language then it should be sang like that not in english.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
It depends on the language. German is not a good language to sing in. It just doesn't sound right to me and only a few bands manage to pull it off convincingly. Though it's still better than the dreaded Denglish I guess. Same goes for Scandinavian languages.
French or Spanish works well though.
I'm from the Netherlands and most rock bands sing in English as it's simply a cooler language. English is also the most widespread language in the world (at least I think so, most people know at least a little bit), so if you're dreaming of fame abroad singing in Dutch wouldn't help you.

Which do you prefer hearing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBDq7ZLtmOI
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=618cCs9C5Mc

Edit: I think singers should take their accent and English spelling and grammar abilities into consideration before singing in English. I've heard some pretty bad efforts in my life.
Last edited by frankv at Oct 11, 2008,
i could imagine Sonata Artica sing in finnish cause their english pronunciation is just hilarious but a really good band
Quote by frankv
I'm from the Netherlands and most rock bands sing in English as it's simply a cooler language. English is also the most widespread language in the world (at least I think so, most people know at least a little bit), so if you're dreaming of fame abroad singing in Dutch wouldn't help you.

Which do you prefer hearing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBDq7ZLtmOI
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=618cCs9C5Mc

TBH, the first one.
English.

William Hung would not be funny in Chinese.

Plus people like The Scorpians sound goofy in English but would sound scary in German

Rap would probably be good if Snoop Doggy Dogg or two pack shacour rapped in English instead of Ebonix.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I'm going to go and lie down now.....that was weird/

You didn't like?
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Quote by JoelTheShredder

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I did like it but I was watching one video and he was BOWING a guitar? What the...?

Saying that- http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uUjBhsSxktQ

This is three kinds of awesome and it's in Serbian.

Yeah, Jonsi is using a cello bow on his old beat up Les Paul. It is a part of Sigur Ros distinctive sound.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Quote by JoelTheShredder

Quote by JeanMi36
Yeah, Jonsi is using a cello bow on his old beat up Les Paul. It is a part of Sigur Ros distinctive sound.

It sounded pretty cool!
It really depends on what language the music was written for. Like, Hand of Blood by B4MV wouldn't be that cool in Welsh because it was written to be in English. But Rammenstien (sp?) sounds baddass in German.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by huevomax
Definitely better in original version. I hate bon jovi singing in spanish.

Bon Jovi's Spanish?

And after pondering over the subject for a bit I think I came to the conclusion certain languages sounds well with certain genres. Rock sounds most awesome with a badass language like English, opera sounds best sung in Italian, raggae sounds best with a Jamaican accent, weird airy and experimental music sounds best in Islandic (or other Scandinavian languages) in my opinion.

Thoughts on that?
Quote by frankv
Bon Jovi's Spanish?

And after pondering over the subject for a bit I think I came to the conclusion certain languages sounds well with certain genres. Rock sounds most awesome with a badass language like English, opera sounds best sung in Italian, raggae sounds best with a Jamaican accent, weird airy and experimental music sounds best in Islandic (or other Scandinavian languages) in my opinion.

Thoughts on that?

Touche. You wins'
Page 1 of 2