I posted this earlier, but I think I put it in the wrong forum....

I recently picked up an acoustic/electric guitar, and I'm teaching myself as I go. My question is regarding hooking it up to an amp. I would only be playing my guitar here at home, because of this, is it overkill thinking of picking up an amp? I would just be interested in a small 15w or so designed for acoustic guitars, and I've seen some for around $100. It's obvious that it would be mandatory to have an amp w/ an electric, but is it normal to use one with an acoustic other than using it to play at gigs, or with others?

It may sound dumb, but I would like to be able to take advantage that I do have a jack to connect to an amp, but at the same time, I'm wondering if it would just be a waste to get one?

Hope this question makes sense, and thanks in advance for any opinions.
Quote by Hoggle
I posted this earlier, but I think I put it in the wrong forum....

I recently picked up an acoustic/electric guitar, and I'm teaching myself as I go. My question is regarding hooking it up to an amp. I would only be playing my guitar here at home, because of this, is it overkill thinking of picking up an amp? I would just be interested in a small 15w or so designed for acoustic guitars, and I've seen some for around $100. It's obvious that it would be mandatory to have an amp w/ an electric, but is it normal to use one with an acoustic other than using it to play at gigs, or with others?

It may sound dumb, but I would like to be able to take advantage that I do have a jack to connect to an amp, but at the same time, I'm wondering if it would just be a waste to get one?

Hope this question makes sense, and thanks in advance for any opinions.

First .. Good choice for picking a acoustic for starting.
and to answer your question: It's not a waste... it's quite fun actually.
You can play rock songs etc.

Hope this helps.

-- ///_^
Guitar Accesories Fund: €300

My Gear:
Copy of Fender Strat
15W gear4music amplifier
Boss ME-50 Pedal
it's up to you really, if i had only had an acoustic, then i personally would get get one, but if you're every gonna play gigs, the you kind of need one. also kind of depends on what music you play. the only reason i would consider one is because i play 80s rock type music so you kind of need one for that.